Do you think Josh Allen is going to change how people view QB Development?

CP3MVP

Allen had terrible accuracy in HS, terrible accuracy in college and was terrible his first 2 seasons. He’s had an all time level turnaround in his improvement this season.  I see a lot of people saying things like, “this is why you shouldn’t give up on young QBs, look at josh Allen”.  I’ve seen people use this for Drew Lock for example.

The problem is Josh is an extreme outlier, the vast majority of QBs who had terrible accuracy pre NFL never became accurate once they got to the Pros. This is like a once in a generation style turnaround. It should also be noted that Josh has all time arm and physical tools, most Qbs don’t have that. 

So do you think his success is going to change how people evaluate QBs? What should GMs and coaches learn from this?

• Like 2

I would HOPE that it gives teams more incentive to be patient with their QB development. But Allen was in a very fortunate situation where McDermott bought himself enough good will with his early success (yes, 9-7 is success by 21st century Bills standards) to allow him to weather his QB's growing pains. If they looked like the same ol' Bills through that stage, chances are McDermott would've gotten the axe and who knows if Allen would survive a coaching change?

Brian Daboll has been a big help, too.

Josh was also an outlier in the sense that he went to a school void of talent, also has zero talent around him his first NFL season then improved year two when he got some talent, and exploded this year when he got a #1 receiver and his OC opened up the playbook. 

I think it would be a different story if it was a QB that was playing awful and being inaccurate with studs around him.

It’s also a testament to Josh that he’s gotten over a lot of the hero ball he came up with (mostly because he had to to even have a chance to win). The loose cannon part of him will always be there , but he’s reigned that in and now those plays that were boneheaded have become spectacular plays that most other players can’t make

• Like 4

I always thought his career projectory was very similar to Steve McNair... his accuracy made similar jumps that McNair made from first year starting to second year. Allen made a huge jump his sophmore season. But he left McNair in the dust with another even bigger jump... 

• Like 1

They traded a crap ton to get Stefon Diggs and it paid off. Although they could've just stay put and drafted Justin Jefferson. The Ravens opted for a linebacker Patrick Queen and Lamar regressed as a result. You gotta have weapons to succeed in the NFL.

It’s always been a thing, tbh. You have to play it by ear. Look at rookie contract Alex Smith to Chiefs Alex Smith. Or Dolphins Tannehhll to Titans Tannehill. They’re all outliers (really, any successful QB is an outlier), some guys turn it around and some don’t. Sometimes it’s a switch, sometimes it’s the environment, usually a little of both. 

I’m not sure he moves the needle much, if at all, for patience though. Allen improved every year. You look at a guy like Darnold who has looked shot while not having anyone worthwhile to support him, and it’s pretty safe to say most people expect the Jets to move on.

Knew this was coming from him. You saw glimpses of greatness from him all through his college career and early NFL days. He’s never going to be surgical, but he will be a very good franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. I loved his work ethic and personality coming out of Wyoming. Figured with that athletic profile and mindset that it would click for him. 

Now, lets not get too crazy. He’s certainly not a finished product. But the people calling him a bust after 1 season are looking foolish. I called him Cam Newton as a prospect. He can do amazing and special things on the field. And he’s much more of a leader than Cam ever was. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kirill said:

They traded a crap ton to get Stefon Diggs and it paid off. Although they could've just stay put and drafted Justin Jefferson. The Ravens opted for a linebacker Patrick Queen and Lamar regressed as a result. You gotta have weapons to succeed in the NFL.

A first round pick is a “crap ton” for a top tier receiver? I disagree. Especially a pick in the twenties.

I just don’t think a rookie receiver would’ve put up anywhere close to what Diggs has with the Bills. Diggs needed the change of scenery and to be the clear alpha, and Allen and the Bills needed him just as much. It was a great trade that looks to have worked out perfect for both teams.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Knew this was coming from him. You saw glimpses of greatness from him all through his college career and early NFL days. He’s never going to be surgical, but he will be a very good franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. I loved his work ethic and personality coming out of Wyoming. Figured with that athletic profile and mindset that it would click for him. 

Now, lets not get too crazy. He’s certainly not a finished product. But the people calling him a bust after 1 season are looking foolish. I called him Cam Newton as a prospect. He can do amazing and special things on the field. And he’s much more of a leader than Cam ever was. 

I’d say he’s had quite a few surgical games this season lol.

The intangibles are through the roof though. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

A first round pick is a “crap ton” for a top tier receiver? I disagree. Especially a pick in the twenties.

I just don’t think a rookie receiver would’ve put up anywhere close to what Diggs has with the Bills. Diggs needed the change of scenery and to be the clear alpha, and Allen and the Bills needed him just as much. It was a great trade that looks to have worked out perfect for both teams.

A first, a fourth, a fifth and a sixth. Basically a whole draft. It was a great trade though, the Bills are the biggest threat to the chiefs in the AFC.

2 hours ago, Kirill said:

Is it any surprise that Mahomes succeeded while Trubisky failed given their respective offenses?

That Rosen and Darnold failed and Allen had a big jump after Diggs joined the squad?

That Kyler had a big jump after Hopkins was added? That Haskins failed on that disaster squad?

There are very few exceptions of QBs in a bad offensive situation who are successful, and most QBs plugged into good situations do well.

Obviously teams picking top 10 are going to be difficult rosters. You gotta be patient year 1, and you gotta fill in those tools before year 2. I think the last couple of drafts continues to prove this in a very stark way.

13 minutes ago, Kirill said:

A first, a fourth, a fifth and a sixth. Basically a whole draft. It was a great trade though, the Bills are the biggest threat to the chiefs in the AFC.

But they still had a 4th a 5th and two 6th to work with after the trade. Bills had 7 picks in total in 2020 even after trading that for Diggs. 

In comparison, what the Bills gave up for Diggs wouldn’t have gotten them to the Dallas pick where they took Lamb. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Josh was also an outlier in the sense that he went to a school void of talent, also has zero talent around him his first NFL season then improved year two when he got some talent, and exploded this year when he got a #1 receiver and his OC opened up the playbook. 

I think it would be a different story if it was a QB that was playing awful and being inaccurate with studs around him.

It’s also a testament to Josh that he’s gotten over a lot of the hero ball he came up with (mostly because he had to to even have a chance to win). The loose cannon part of him will always be there , but he’s reigned that in and now those plays that were boneheaded have become spectacular plays that most other players can’t make

This is a little disingenuous as well. Allen has been very inaccurate his entire career even going back to high school so don't word it like he has always been good but held back by his team. He's NEVER had a season where he's had a >60% competition percentage until this year.

What Allen has done is almost unheard of. More talent helps but what Josh Allen  took a historic leap in ability almost overnight which is exceedingly rare.

While this might be unheard of, it's worth pointing out that his size, arm strength and athleticism are extremely rare, if not completely unique in league history. That would give any team more patience with a QB.

Also, after Lamar's season last year everyone talked him up - and this season he's a worse passer. So it's very possible that Allen regresses. One off elite seasons are not uncommon for QBs