S Logan Ryan re-signs to 3 year deal- $31M/$20M Guaranteed

Acgott

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Nothing against Logan Ryan, but I don't know how I feel about Gettleman making important roster decisions like this when he should be cleaning out his office.

I’m sure Judge was on board with it. Gettleman isn’t running around doing random moves.

Logan Ryan has been awesome for this secondary, but spending that much on a player when they drafted McKinney.  I haven't seen too many games this year, is the defense playing a "big" cover defensive scheme where they've got 3 safeties on the field or is he playing cornerback at times?  Someone wanna help me understand this.

Neither OTC or Spotrac have his contract details posted up yet, all I've seen is this;

Logan Ryan signed a 3 year, $31,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,333,333.

When he was signed at the beginning of the year I believed it was because of depth at the position.  Just seems like a lot of money to pay out while we watch our 2nd round pick get limited attempts, but again I haven't watched a ton of games this year so if someone could help me figure this out, much appreciated.

14 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Logan Ryan has been awesome for this secondary, but spending that much on a player when they drafted McKinney.  I haven't seen too many games this year, is the defense playing a "big" cover defensive scheme where they've got 3 safeties on the field or is he playing cornerback at times?  Someone wanna help me understand this.

Neither OTC or Spotrac have his contract details posted up yet, all I've seen is this;

Logan Ryan signed a 3 year, $31,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including $20,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,333,333.

When he was signed at the beginning of the year I believed it was because of depth at the position.  Just seems like a lot of money to pay out while we watch our 2nd round pick get limited attempts, but again I haven't watched a ton of games this year so if someone could help me figure this out, much appreciated.

We were actually looking at Ryan before McKinney got injured. I’m no expert on our schemes and where the players play, but I imagine each one has their specialities. Ryan with Nickel Safety, Peppers with the in the box, and McKinney with deep. As we play more in Nickel, than base, I see no reason why all 3 can’t be on the field together.

Our team needs talent everywhere, I’ll rather have an extra talented player, than the reverse.

27 minutes ago, Acgott said:

We were actually looking at Ryan before McKinney got injured. I’m no expert on our schemes and where the players play, but I imagine each one has their specialities. Ryan with Nickel Safety, Peppers with the in the box, and McKinney with deep. As we play more in Nickel, than base, I see no reason why all 3 can’t be on the field together.

Our team needs talent everywhere, I’ll rather have an extra talented player, than the reverse.

Thanks for the info.  Don't get me wrong I'm all for adding talent and Ryan is definitely that.  I just fear that it's going to limit us with what we do in free agency.  Do you know why he isn't playing cornerback?  He couldn't be any worse than Holmes from what little I've seen of him.

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Thanks for the info.  Don't get me wrong I'm all for adding talent and Ryan is definitely that.  I just fear that it's going to limit us with what we do in free agency.  Do you know why he isn't playing cornerback?  He couldn't be any worse than Holmes from what little I've seen of him.

I believe he slowed down a little with age, and couldnt be a full time CB1 anymore. Safety allows him to use his intelligence and less reliance on athleticism. 

10 hours ago, Acgott said:

I don't think that is the issue. Do we need to spend resources in extra talent in areas where we all ready have talent. As oppose to adding talent to areas that don't have it. At safety we would be fine with what we had and could have used that money to help pay for a true pass rasher, or a true #1 wideout. 

8 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I don't think that is the issue. Do we need to spend resources in extra talent in areas where we all ready have talent. As oppose to adding talent to areas that don't have it. At safety we would be fine with what we had and could have used that money to help pay for a true pass rasher, or a true #1 wideout. 

NFL teams can always create salary cap. This move is not going to stop us from making no moves, because we have no cash. If we are planning to offer Allen Robinson a 7 year, $200M deal, we can still do that.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 3:34 PM, ny92mike said:

Xavier McKinney is getting PLENTY of snaps even with Ryan and Peppers on the field. McKinney and Ryan both do a little slot coverage here and there and three safeties are often on the field at the same time. I look at it this way: they basically are set at safety now for at least 2 years. Next year you have all three, then you have to make a decision on Peppers. If Peppers re-signs, Logan Ryan will be probably be done after year 2 of his deal. If Peppers doesn't re-sign, you have McKinney and Ryan back there. McKinney and Ryan will be FAs at the same time. I assume best case scenario is Peppers continues to be a good player, they re-sign him, have 2 more years of the three of them then they re-sign McKinney at the end of his rookie deal and let Ryan ride off into the sunset. 

Obviously, I've made my opinion on this topic clear over the last several months. I will GLADLY take Logan Ryan's deal over Leonard Williams. And I know Williams ended up with 3 sacks yesterday and has had a great season for a IDL. However, look closer at that last drive yesterday. Andy Dalton marched right down the field and we were getting NO pressure. An IDL is not a game wrecker. It's nothing against Leonard Williams. That dude has proven us all wrong and apparently is a great locker room guy as well. It's just that premium contract has to be at EDGE, not IDL.

19 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

You saw on Sunday how this defense is supposed to look with its 3 safety sets. And now, we have 3 extremely capable safeties for the next couple of years. This defense could be great with a capable CB2 and capable edge rushers.

Over the last four games how many times have you heard Ryan Logan named mentioned, how many interception or forced turnover does he have. He is a good player, I am not going to say he is not. I just believed we over payed for him and that money could have gone some where else.

We have him and Safety is now a strength on this team. We draft a CB#2 and have Love and Bael compete for the CB#3 spot  our entire secondary will be a strength. We get an impact linebacker in this draft put him with Martinez and Lorenzo Carter, Linebacker will be a strength. We get a true pass rusher for the DL our all ready good DL will be great. 

I am very excited for our defense and our offense  next year we are not that far away from being a dominate team.