If Matthew Stafford Was Traded, Who Would Be Likely Trading Partners

There is a lot of talk about doing a total re-build again in Detroit and it is a strong possibility.  Most of the time it starts with a Matthew Stafford trade scenario.  For a trade to work, Matthew Stafford's contract would probably require some adjustment to minimize the salary cap impact.  Assuming that actually happens, who would be likely trading partners?  My opinion:

1.  Indianapolis Colts:  They have a good defense, a good RB, and a solid O-Line.  They would could go after Stafford to get the QB play that they won't get from Phillip Rivers or Jacoby Brisett.

2. New Orleans Saints:  Stafford going to the Saints would keep their Super Bowl Window open for 2-3 years.  They have a very good defense, great offensive weapons and a proven coach.  

3. Denver Broncos:  Drew Lock hasn't shown he is "the guy".  They have a lot of young talent at WR, RB and O-Line.  Their defense needs work but Stafford would complete the offense and allow John Elway to focus on fixing his defense.

Personally, I think Stafford will be a Lion next year.  My under-the-radar QB of the future draft pick:  Jamie Neumann.  He was developing nicely at Wake Forest but COVID-19 prevented him from showing out at Georgia.  Backing up Stafford would be a perfect situation for him.  Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

There is a lot of talk about doing a total re-build again in Detroit and it is a strong possibility.  Most of the time it starts with a Matthew Stafford trade scenario.  For a trade to work, Matthew Stafford's contract would probably require some adjustment to minimize the salary cap impact.  Assuming that actually happens, who would be likely trading partners?  My opinion:

1.  Indianapolis Colts:  They have a good defense, a good RB, and a solid O-Line.  They would could go after Stafford to get the QB play that they won't get from Phillip Rivers or Jacoby Brisett.

2. New Orleans Saints:  Stafford going to the Saints would keep their Super Bowl Window open for 2-3 years.  They have a very good defense, great offensive weapons and a proven coach.  

3. Denver Broncos:  Drew Lock hasn't shown he is "the guy".  They have a lot of young talent at WR, RB and O-Line.  Their defense needs work but Stafford would complete the offense and allow John Elway to focus on fixing his defense.

Personally, I think Stafford will be a Lion next year.  My under-the-radar QB of the future draft pick:  Jamie Neumann.  He was developing nicely at Wake Forest but COVID-19 prevented him from showing out at Georgia.  Backing up Stafford would be a perfect situation for him.  Thoughts?

I dont' think the Saints are viable...they have to figure out their money and I think that would require too many moving parts and a delay in consummating the deal. However the Pats should be in on Stafford if available, the niners should be, but may not. Washington and Indy should be no brainers to put in a call. I think Denver is going to give Lock one more try, but they should at least be inquiring as well. 

The tough spot for some teams is where their pick is going to be. The 49ers almost certainly aren't going to give up a top 10 pick in a deal for him, so they are likely out. I doubt many teams would give a top 10 pick for him. But the teams like Washington / Indy who are going to pick in that 19+ range make all the sense in the world. First + conditional puts those teams in a really good spot given their current rosters and gives the Lions some solid building blocks. 

To me Cleveland would be an intriguing place for Stafford to go....Doubtful it would happen because of having a number one invested and the potential that it may hurt the team unity and chemistry...But is Baker Mayfield the person to take the team to the next level?...He is perhaps playing his best football to date, but is he a franchise quarterback?....Let's wait and see how the playoffs unfold for the Browns...IF it's a quick exit, than why not at least think about it?....Stafford can stretch the field with his arm in ways Mayfield cannot...And if Cleveland has any notion of Beckham playing for them in the future, Stafford potentially won't have that same mental block Mayfield seems to have developed with Odell...Albeit the fly in the ointment here is whether or not Beckham wants to spend any more time in Cleveland?....Further bonuses are Cleveland has draft choices to give up and Mayfield may be at the apex of his market value...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

To me Cleveland would be an intriguing place for Stafford to go....Doubtful it would happen because of having a number one invested and the potential that it may hurt the team unity and chemistry...But is Baker Mayfield the person to take the team to the next level?...He is perhaps playing his best football to date, but is he a franchise quarterback?....Let's wait and see how the playoffs unfold for the Browns...IF it's a quick exit, than why not at least think about it?....Stafford can stretch the field with his arm in ways Mayfield cannot...And if Cleveland has any notion of Beckham playing for them in the future, Stafford potentially won't have that same mental block Mayfield seems to have developed with Odell...Albeit the fly in the ointment here is whether or not Beckham wants to spend any more time in Cleveland?....Further bonuses are Cleveland has draft choices to give up and Mayfield may be at the apex of his market value...

That’s an interesting thought.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I dont' think the Saints are viable...they have to figure out their money and I think that would require too many moving parts and a delay in consummating the deal. However the Pats should be in on Stafford if available, the niners should be, but may not. Washington and Indy should be no brainers to put in a call. I think Denver is going to give Lock one more try, but they should at least be inquiring as well. 

The tough spot for some teams is where their pick is going to be. The 49ers almost certainly aren't going to give up a top 10 pick in a deal for him, so they are likely out. I doubt many teams would give a top 10 pick for him. But the teams like Washington / Indy who are going to pick in that 19+ range make all the sense in the world. First + conditional puts those teams in a really good spot given their current rosters and gives the Lions some solid building blocks. 

Yeah, I seen that too with the Saints. I had them front runners but starting out the years minus 90 million in cap space is crazy to think about. Next years Saints team will be very different from this years team. It's basically the last hoorah for the Saints and New Orleans before a total and complete rebuild begins in 2021. Saints/Seahawks/Packers all have real shots in the NFC. I'll be rooting for the old fella(Breese) who's lead me to two fantasy football championships in my career! 😂

Edited by SimbaWho
32 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Patriots
49ers
Colts
Bears (Would Detroit trade him in the division?)

Less than likely, but that would give the Bears a better chance to compete with GB...They do have a pretty good defense...

I still think Cleveland could give multiple draft choices, which is something at least two of the three on your list wouldn't be able to do....The Patriots for sure, as they need a lot of help....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Dark horse if we trade stafford is Washington.

I really feel like Washington needs to be very much in on the trade negotiations. That team is ready to move...they just need a QB. That defense can absolutely be just as good as the one that helped that 49ers reach the super bowl, so if you give that defense Matthew Stafford that's going to be a really good team. If they win the division and that pick is 19 or higher? Should be a no brainer to me. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Forge said:

I really feel like Washington needs to be very much in on the trade negotiations. That team is ready to move...they just need a QB. That defense can absolutely be just as good as the one that helped that 49ers reach the super bowl, so if you give that defense Matthew Stafford that's going to be a really good team. If they win the division and that pick is 19 or higher? Should be a no brainer to me. 

That is a really good point.  Washington to could turn out to be the most likely contender.  I wonder if we could talk them into giving up Montez Sweat.  No way they will be able to keep Chase Young and Montez Sweat in the long-run.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, Forge said:

Great point. I think with the release of Haskins Washington would be a candidate if Stafford were to be traded. They might also be a candidate to trade up for Detroit’s pick if the right QB were to be available.