If Matthew Stafford Was Traded, Who Would Be Likely Trading Partners

Just Want A Title

On 12/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, Forge said:

I really feel like Washington needs to be very much in on the trade negotiations. That team is ready to move...they just need a QB. That defense can absolutely be just as good as the one that helped that 49ers reach the super bowl, so if you give that defense Matthew Stafford that's going to be a really good team. If they win the division and that pick is 19 or higher? Should be a no brainer to me. 

That is a really good suggestion. There's a couple ex-Lions on the offense (Logan Thomas, JD McKissic), some weapons (McLaurin, Gibson) and a defense with one heck of a DL in a pretty wide open division. 

Alot of chatter about Lions trading Stafford... most talking heads are discussing Patriots and Colts. I'm wondering what offers they are willing to discuss. I don't think Stafford would request a trade and he has a couple years left on his contract. There is no immediate need to move him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Alot of chatter about Lions trading Stafford... most talking heads are discussing Patriots and Colts. I'm wondering what offers they are willing to discuss. I don't think Stafford would request a trade and he has a couple years left on his contract. There is no immediate need to move him. 

His salary isn’t out of line either.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I have thought that the Colts were the best landing spot for some time if we felt the need/had to move on from him. Lots of cap space, talent on both sides of the ball, great OL, strong pieces at RB, couple guys at WR with cap space to bring in someone like Allen Robinson or maybe KG if he's available. Good GM and HC, playing in a dome. 

46 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

San Fran or Denver. Jimmy G can be cut with almost zero cap penalty.  Stafford with those weapons/run game and an actual defense.  He’d probably win a championship. I think Elway will see himself in Stafford.  I wouldn’t doubt if goes hard to get him.

Denver just announced they will be adding a GM. I wonder how much input Elway will have on roster decisions?

12 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I have thought that the Colts were the best landing spot for some time if we felt the need/had to move on from him. Lots of cap space, talent on both sides of the ball, great OL, strong pieces at RB, couple guys at WR with cap space to bring in someone like Allen Robinson or maybe KG if he's available. Good GM and HC, playing in a dome. 

Along those lines Robinson is someone that should interest Detroit. 

DeShaun Watson could possibly request a trade. Is that something the Lions look into? Not going to lie, it intrigues me quite a bit. Re-sign Golladay and build an offense around Watson/Golladay/Swift. Let New GM/HC build up a defense. But do we have the parts for Houston to bite, and would Watson want to come to the rebuilding Lions? 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, Just Want A Title said:

That is a really good point.  Washington to could turn out to be the most likely contender.  I wonder if we could talk them into giving up Montez Sweat.  No way they will be able to keep Chase Young and Montez Sweat in the long-run.

I wanted to see if you guys were talking about a Stafford trade at all but this one stuck out to me quite a bit. There’s no way they would part with Sweat. Kerrigan is gone after this season and Ryan Anderson never panned out. It would leave a massive hole on the opposite side of Young. If it was any player plus our first it would be Ioannidis or Payne. We have major depth on the interior of the DL but I’d venture to say Sweat is off limits. 

14 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

DeShaun Watson could possibly request a trade. Is that something the Lions look into? Not going to lie, it intrigues me quite a bit. Re-sign Golladay and build an offense around Watson/Golladay/Swift. Let New GM/HC build up a defense. But do we have the parts for Houston to bite, and would Watson want to come to the rebuilding Lions? 

If I was Houston there is pretty close to zero chance I'd trade Watson away. 

14 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't think that we have the assets to make such a trade work. It is going to require multiple picks, including multiple 1st's. You have a young QB who is a proven commodity that is already locked in on a long term contract. Watson is not Tua or Darnold - both guys have potential but there are some question marks. 

With a new GM in town, they have the ability to tear down and rebuild. However, because of the previous regime they don't really have any assets. A team with multiple 1sts like Miami  makes a lot more sense. If Miami makes this kind of trade: 

- Tua

- #3 overall (via Houston)

- 2021 2nd

- 2022 1st

The Texans would be in a fantastic position to do a lot of things: trade #3 to another team and continue to add draft capital and/or players, draft Wilson or Fields, draft Sewell, etc. For the Dolphins, the division is wide open and it would give them a guy that can help them really compete with the Bills and a revamped Patriots. Watson would immediately become the best QB in that division (at worst 1B). 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, teude said:

Stafford is due a roster bonus on March 21st. We'd have to cut/trade (it's going to be a trade, if anything) by then in order to not pay him that. We would also save $14M this year in cap space as opposed to only $10M.

According to Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/)

Pre-6/1 Trade or Release

2021 Dead Cap: $19M

2021 Cap Space: $14M

Post-6/1 Trade or Release

2021 Dead Cap: $23M

2022 Dead Cap: $6M

2021 Cap Space: $10M

Free agency officially begins on March 17th. If we sign an Andy Dalton/Ryan Fitzpatrick type then Stafford is as good as gone. 

Edited by Karnage84

Trade likely won't happen till after the Superbowl or just before FA.

Football Team, Broncos, 49er's, Colts, Patriots, Rams, Cowboys*Dak situations*. Jets could get weird maybe? Idk. Lots of buyers. 

Should be some offers if they're really serious about moving Stafford, which, imo, is the right move cause they'll get a good haul for him now vs waiting(IMO). An Lions are barely playoff ready now with him, let alone Superbowl. It's ok to push the button and do a whole reset just... actually reset everything. So far Lions have been doing that and I expect a Stafford trade now more than ever honestly.

Tail-winds have been suggesting this all year, and now, the hires, rumors, and overall structure suggest a trades coming, imo.

Edited by SimbaWho