If Matthew Stafford Was Traded, Who Would Be Likely Trading Partners

Just Want A Title

I think speculation is getting a little over the line of what will actually happen. To think the panthers would give us #8, or the cowboys #10, even without anything else, is a little too much. Granted, it's not Lions people saying this, but rather outside media, but I think the end result will be a little less. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

So I’ve been thinking about this and trading him to rival wouldn’t be worst thing. You trade a high salary, older player they are only getting couple years out of and purging them of picks. 

yea you would have to face him but during rebuilding years anyhow. Hurt that rival long term with taking their draft. 

probably not popular idea but outside the box 

11 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

So I’ve been thinking about this and trading him to rival wouldn’t be worst thing. You trade a high salary, older player they are only getting couple years out of and purging them of picks. 

yea you would have to face him but during rebuilding years anyhow. Hurt that rival long term with taking their draft. 

probably not popular idea but outside the box 

He will have the lowest cap hit out of starting QBs that aren't on a rookie deal.  His contract is actually a benefit in trade talks because it is so reasonable compared to todays contracts.  His cap hit will be less than what Teddy Bridgewater, Alex Smith, Jacoby Brissett, Derrick Carr and Jimmy Garappolo made in 2020.  

I don't mind trading him to a rival (likely Chicago is the only option) because he isnt as good in outdoor climates and I like taking away their picks.  However I feel that D with Stafford would be solid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Millenhater said:

I was thinking about who we would draft if we pick a QB (other than Lawrence).  I think there's going to be differing opinions in our front office.

I have a feeling that Holmes will like Lance and Dorsey will like Wilson.  

I think they will have to move up for Wilson or Fields, and Lance is someone I don't want to touch.  I would prefer Mac Jones to Lance and maybe even Trask, albeit not at 7.  I am really a top 3 or bust vibe for this year.  If the top 3 are gone, take BPA and use the picks from Stafford to help build the D and then grab a QB next year.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think they will have to move up for Wilson or Fields, and Lance is someone I don't want to touch.  I would prefer Mac Jones to Lance and maybe even Trask, albeit not at 7.  I am really a top 3 or bust vibe for this year.  If the top 3 are gone, take BPA and use the picks from Stafford to help build the D and then grab a QB next year.  

If they like someone then they need to get them this year. 

There's no guarantee that there will be a good prospect available next year. The class probably won't be as deep at QB, and who knows where we will end up picking. 

19 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

There's no guarantee that there will be a good prospect available next year. The class probably won't be as deep at QB, and who knows where we will end up picking. 

If they like someone but have to mortgage the future for one, I disagree, they can wait.  Of course we don't know where we will end up in the order or who declares but there are good prospects.  None like Lawrence but plenty that can be Zach Wilson, Fields, or Herberts.  Slovis, Howell, Daniels, Shough, Rattler all have potential top pick ability.  So don't force it if you dont love Lance or Jones or Trask and don't overpay if you like Fields or Wilson.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

The problem is that we don't know that. Every year there are guys that come from out of left field, like a Joe Burrow, while other guys have been mainstays for a few years. Trey Lance is talented but a question mark - he has what, 1 actual year on tape? He's more or less a year removed from football due to COVID. 

We would probably have to move up into the top 3 in order to get either Wilson or Fields. That's draft capital that can be used to help the rest of the team. Taking someone like Lance at 7 is a risk. It could be the right one but you'd have to be sure... like really sure. 

If the organization is set up and ok with a multi-year rebuild, you are expecting that you'll probably be back in the top 10 next year, maybe even the year after. There could be other opportunities to select that guy in future drafts. If you aren't in that position, it means that you've done a good job at building back up the roster already and you can afford to make a big move up to get that missing piece. 

I can't believe that I'm saying this... but if I'm the Lions I would want to take the same approach that the Browns took. Trade down, acquire more picks and build up the roster. When you have things more put together, select your QB and then continue to build around him. 

Sam Howell, PFF's #4 QB going into the season will be available in 2022. While I wasn't a fan of him as a person (he's just a bit too cocky for my liking), Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler is someone that will also likely declare in 2022. There's the guy at USC. There isn't a Trevor Lawrence in the class but we're probably looking at a Baker Mayfield/Kyler Murray in Howell and Rattler. Equal or better talent with more game tape (certainty) and a better roster surrounding them (assuming Holmes picks well). Seems like a better recipe for success IMO. 

• Like 1

I'd take #12 straight up for Stafford, TBH. I would take it and run. And I also would not move up for a QB in the draft. If one falls to #7, great. If not, sit back and take BPA and build your team. We have Chase Daniel under contract. We can sign a young QB as an UDFA (or even draft Mac Jones in the 2nd or 3rd rd) and let it ride for a year while developing other players and then go after a QB next year. I definitely wouldn't reach though. 

San Fran would definitely be the team I'd set the bar with though. 

I don't trust Sileo at all. He throws a bunch of stuff out there just hoping something sticks. 

I agree with Sllim, I like the top 3 guys at QB this year, but I wouldn't move up for them or reach for someone like Trask/Lance. I'd much rather draft BPA at #7 + whatever pick we get from a Stafford trade and then possibly look at someone like Mac Jones in the 2nd/3rd as a flier or let Chase Daniel start for a year and go after QB next year. Look at how not hitting on those guys have set back franchises like Chicago and Philly.