If Matthew Stafford Was Traded, Who Would Be Likely Trading Partners

Just Want A Title

27 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Then I would rather kick the tires on Darnold, Haskins, Bridgewater, etc. I don’t want to spend a #7 on the most important position with one of the lowest success rates. Not right now at least. 

If the asking price for Darnold is in the 2nd round, I would definitely consider making that move (assuming that we have extra assets from the Stafford trade, maybe trading down from #7). There is far more upside/less risk for a 2nd round Darnold than there is for taking someone at #7, especially if you're not completely sold on them.

1 minute ago, flyguy1609 said:

It really is, I remember scouts were saying for 2 years Rosen was the-best qb prospect blah blah.

I feel like so much of it is mentality, which is hard to get from these guys.  The guys who have ego's, think they are great already etc are the ones who fail.  These guys all have the talent, they just don't have the mental side to succeed at this level.  But that is the same thing with Stafford IMO, he was super talented, just struggles with the mental side.  Not work ethic as much as mentality in game.  Thats where its going to be really important, especially in this weird offseason with limited to no face to face contact.  All of them can say the right things, but Holmes and co need to be able to see through that bs and find the right one. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

People must be down on Fields because of Haskins or something and not trusting Ohio St QBs.  He completed 70% of his passes and had a 22 to 6 TD/Int ratio this year, 67 to 9 over his career.  7 of those INTs came in three games of which he still won 2 of them and the one he lost was against was against Clemson, which he redeemed himself this year.  He has a great arm to get it down field accurately and just makes plays.  He did it consistently against top competition.  So much hate for a guy who lost 2 games in his career and was the best player on his team.  No way I am taking the guy who had a rough outing in one game this year and then quit to not further ruin his draft status.  

You make fair points. But, I do not want my preference to be misconstrued.. Though I have been getting on board with Lance lately, that doesnt mean I would take him over Fields. I just do not expect Fields to be around past the top 5 picks, let alone in the teens. I still really like Fields overall, just not his throwing motion. Still a great prospect though.

6 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

I honestly wouldn’t mind kicking the tire on minshew or Jimmy g once they becomes available..

I know I don’t want cam Newton, trubisky, Haskins, fields or lance.(that’s just off my top of my head

I have this sneaking suspicion MCDC likes David Blough... Reminds him of Brees I bet. Also the Purdue connection.

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

People must be down on Fields because of Haskins or something and not trusting Ohio St QBs.  He completed 70% of his passes and had a 22 to 6 TD/Int ratio this year, 67 to 9 over his career.  7 of those INTs came in three games of which he still won 2 of them and the one he lost was against was against Clemson, which he redeemed himself this year.  He has a great arm to get it down field accurately and just makes plays.  He did it consistently against top competition.  So much hate for a guy who lost 2 games in his career and was the best player on his team.  No way I am taking the guy who had a rough outing in one game this year and then quit to not further ruin his draft status.  

Those are all good points on Fields, but Lance didn't quit after one game this year. NDSU only played one game. They're playing again starting in February, but I wouldn't blame any prospect for skipping out on spring football. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If the asking price for Darnold is in the 2nd round, I would definitely consider making that move (assuming that we have extra assets from the Stafford trade, maybe trading down from #7). There is far more upside/less risk for a 2nd round Darnold than there is for taking someone at #7, especially if you're not completely sold on them.

There is certainly less risk involved, sure. But there's also significantly less upside. What are the odds that someone like Darnold or Bridgewater turns into a stud? 

You can get lucky and win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB if you have an elite team around them, but if you want to go with a veteran like that you're probably committing yourself to QB purgatory. That's fine if you just want to be decent for a few years. 

Just now, Lions017 said:

There is certainly less risk involved, sure. But there's also significantly less upside. What are the odds that someone like Darnold or Bridgewater turns into a stud? 

You can get lucky and win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB if you have an elite team around them, but if you want to go with a veteran like that you're probably committing yourself to QB purgatory. That's fine if you just want to be decent for a few years. 

I don't know if the Adam Gase led Jets is a true indicator of Darnold's talent level. He wasn't drafted by the current GM (Douglas) and HC (Saleh). Taking someone at #2 or adding Deshaun to the mix would result in Darnold now being expendable. Taking your own guy resets the clock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

No, I’m down on Fields because of what I saw of him in limited viewing opportunities. With the exception of the Clemson game where he performed brilliantly I saw a QB who appeared to struggle with progressions. 

I would also, disagree about top competition. He also had a limited schedule this year.

He may turn out to be great but there are some red flags that can’t simply be dismissed.

15 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

No, I’m down on Fields because of what I saw of him in limited viewing opportunities. With the exception of the Clemson game where he performed brilliantly I saw a QB who appeared to struggle with progressions. 

I would also, disagree about top competition. He also had a limited schedule this year.

He may turn out to be great but there are some red flags that can’t simply be dismissed.

Brady Quinn said on the pick 6 podcast best thing for fields to do is stay in school for another yr, Quinn said fields doesn’t look like he’s ready for the nfl not enough experience 

1 minute ago, flyguy1609 said:

Brady Quinn said on the pick 6 podcast best thing for fields to do is stay in school for another yr, Quinn said fields doesn’t look like he’s ready for the nfl not enough experience 

I like Fields but he scares me.  He just doesn't appear to process very quickly.  He has some great anticipation throws but often he seems like he has to see the player get open before he throws.  Those are the things that really make me worry about a QB.  His throwing motion is slightly long as well as he doesn't seem to have the quickest release.  It doesn't appear long it's almost like a slight hitch.  I think he might be worth the risk at 7 but man the processing is what concerns me the most.

20 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

His red flags are no worse than any other QB coming out and his good is very very good.  You must have watched limited games because he only looked bad in about two games in his two year career.  And the B10 competition is better than just about everyone other than non-Bama SEC teams.