Potential 1st-round targets for us:

Suffering_Bills

Nice to not have too many glaring needs for once, right? Mark of a very good team, as it stands currently. Before I even begin with this, here's what I'd do in the offseason, if I was in charge: We have the salary-cap space to re-sign some of our own, and it should begin with Darryl Williams and John Feliciano. Lock them both up with 3-4 year extensions. Franchise Milano, on a one year prove-it deal. This is only because of his injury history. Talent isn't the question. If we make these moves, I'd be as happy as any fan of the Bills. Now, as per what we would then target in the 1st, I'll offer my personal top 3 1st-round positional targets, in order of preference:

#1. CORNERBACK. Norman's done, Wallace is HIGHLY upgradeable, and I see us letting him walk in free-agency. Taron Johnson is upgradeable, too, in the slot. Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Asante Samuel; any of those guys would be good selections in the VERY late first round. Be great to have a long-term #2 opposite Tre White.

#2. OFFENSIVE TACKLE. This is even if we re-sign Williams, and certainly if we don't. Ty Nsekhe is most likely done after this season, and he's our swing tackle. Protecting Josh is key. The value at this position could actually be our best option at our expected draft slot. Jackson Carman, Teven Jenkins, and others should be there.

#3. PASS-RUSHER. Sadly, Jerry Hughes can't play forever. I'm sure he'll be back next year, but he's an NFL senior citizen. If this positional selection DOES happen, I would think it'd only be because a highly-rated prospect has fallen to the late 1st, for whatever inexplicable reason. I'd actually target one in the 2nd, most likely.

Anyways, my take. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I agree on all 3 counts

One happy note is - I think we are finally in a place where we don't HAVE to worry about drafting for need. I think this is the type of team that can pounce on a player who falls farther than expected

If a top 10-15 LB, RB, WR, S falls to the 25-32 range, I think we can pull the trigger, even if its not a need. I'm glad we are in that kind of position

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

That said - I think a cornerback HAS to be high on the radar

Surtain Jr will be LONG, long gone, but between Shaun Wade, Caleb Farley, Asante Samuel Jr - there is a good chance someone of value falls to us

Farley and Wade probably have no chance of being there, especially Farley. Samuel is interesting. I just think there's a chance he's a better slot corner than outside guy, and we need a true #2, but if he's a significant upgrade over Johnson at the slot corner position, I could live with that.

12 minutes ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Farley and Wade probably have no chance of being there, especially Farley. Samuel is interesting. I just think there's a chance he's a better slot corner than outside guy, and we need a true #2, but if he's a significant upgrade over Johnson at the slot corner position, I could live with that.

With this season having at least 4 QBs going top 25 and 3-5 WRs going in that range as well, there will be plenty of other talent hanging around when we pick

Might not be one of those 2 guys specifically, but I don't think those guys are top 10.. It's reasonable that they can fall within striking range

Edited by Tk3

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

It's actually pretty rare for 3 CB to go in the top 20 or top 25 - and this season has a legit 4-5 CBs with that potential

With this season having at least 4 QBs going top 25 and 3-5 WRs going in that range as well, there will be plenty of other talent hanging around when we pick

Might not be one of those 2 guys specifically, but I don't think those guys are top 10.. It's reasonable that they can fall within striking range

COULD be the case, but I kind of highly doubt it. I think Surtain, Farley, Horn, and Wade are all off the board before we pick.

I think a lot of people undervalue Levi Wallace. He has the lowest completion percentage and quarterback rating vs his coverage out of the Bills secondary this season. He has had some moments where his physical limitations show up, but I think overall he’s been solid this year. If we can resign him for cheap, I would be all for it.

Just now, Billsfaninptown said:

I think a lot of people undervalue Levi Wallace. He has the lowest completion percentage and quarterback rating vs his coverage out of the Bills secondary this season. He has had some moments where his physical limitations show up, but I think overall he’s been solid this year. If we can resign him for cheap, I would be all for it.

Guess it might depend on price, but I just happen to think getting 5 years out of a rookie CB who would be a better talent is maybe the way to go.

33 minutes ago, Suffering_Bills said:

Guess it might depend on price, but I just happen to think getting 5 years out of a rookie CB who would be a better talent is maybe the way to go.

If there’s a CB worth taking where the value makes sense then I wouldn’t mind it. I would also be satisfied with resigning Wallace cheap. We’re also going to have EJ Gaines next year too. I know people want a longterm solution at CB2, but McDermott always seems to find a way to make it work. I would put edge rusher, G, T, LB, and an explosive RB that is a receiving threat over CB2 at this point.

Edited by Billsfaninptown

3 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

If there’s a CB worth taking where the value makes sense then I wouldn’t mind it. I would also be satisfied with resigning Wallace cheap. We’re also going to have EJ Gaines next year too. I know people want a longterm solution at CB2, but McDermott always seems to find a way to make it work. I would put edge rusher, G, T, and an explosive RB that is a receiving threat over CB2 at this point.

Funny thing about that last part you said....- I wouldn't really mind drafting Najee Harris in the late 1st.

TE Kyle Pitts is a guy I think would be a great get. A TE like him would be lethal plugged into this offense

CBs Jaycee Horn and Tyson Campbell are a couple names to watch 

If were letting Milano walk, we could go LB early. Dylan Mozes did everything good before ACL injury. He is projected as a late 1 to early 2nd.

Edited by BillsGuy82

I was looking at some potential cap casualties for next year. I know a lot of us think we are overpaying Star, and we are, but financially, according to spotrac, cutting him would cost us more than keeping him.

I think Milano walks, and as much as I want to keep him, as often as we play with only 2 LBs, keeping Klein as the #2 makes sense. He is not as good as Milano in coverage, but Klein has improved and I think the price difference (and if we want to extend Edmunds) I can't see us investing so much in 2 LBs when only 2 see the field so much.

I think John Brown could be a potential cut next year too. Diggs, Beasley, and Davis have been a pretty solid trio, and John Brown is due $9.8 mil and we would save $8.6 mil by releasing him before his roster bonus is due. I hate to say it, but if we think Hodgins can fill the #4 role. Brown could be gone.

After all that is out of the way, I think CB is the way to go. I would Love Kyle Pitts too, but I think we would have to move into the top 15 to nab him. I would like a veteran TE to be honest to balance with Knox, kind of how the Bears are using Kmet and Graham.

I am definitely for pass rusher, but I think we would need an impact one. We have a lot of OK to slightly above average pass rushers on this team, and if Hughes retires, he might force our hand.

Personally I would want to sign a premier pass rusher if we can afford it. Draft a CB rd 1, Draft a LB rd 2, then we can attack the OL and maybe a TE (if we don't get a vet)

Edited by Maxmw22