Jets - 18.4 (23rd)

Total defense:

Patriots - 447.2 YPG (32nd)
Buccaneers - 354.6 YPG (27th)

PPGA:

Patriots - 28.4 (T-30th)
Jets - 21.2 (15th)

Key Players:

Malcolm Brown - the Jets have a bad QB and bad receivers.   They have been surprisingly effective running the ball this year, and controlling the pace of the game.  If we can stop the running game, we can make this a track meet which the Jets have no chance of keeping up with.   Brown has struggled so far this year, and this is a big opportunity for him to have a big game for us.

Andrews - Jets have gotten surprisingly good safety play, but outside of their DL, they're pretty talent deprived on defense.   The way they've gotten by is because of Wilkerson and and Williams taking up a ton of focus for the team.  They haven't been statistically productive, but they're the beginning and end when it comes to gameplanning for the Jets defense.   Andrews is going to have his hands full.  We'll see if he can keep his balance against these massive guys.

Gillislee - Brady is dinged up and the Jets have been somewhat surprisingly bad against the run.   This would be a great game for him to go off for a big game.  If we can get play action going, we should have shots for our receivers against some mediocre corners.  HM:  all of our RBs should have some good matchups.  

Final Notes:

-Patriots dug themselves into a hole, and every game is a must win, but against a division rival as bad as the Jets, the Patriots can't afford to lose this.   
-Hopefully it's a 30 point game by half time so we don't risk any more injuries.   
-Possible Burkhead game
-Jets are riding a 3 game winning streak
-With a loss, the Patriots would fall to 3-3 with the Jets at 4-2.
-Buffalo, New England, and NY are all at 3-2 in the AFCE, but only the Jets have a negative +/- for the season

The Jets are always a pain to play.

I've given up on Malcom Brown. He is what he is at that point - not a very good player but better than any practice squad guy they have currently.

This needs to be a statement game where the Pats win 30-14 or something like that.

It's amazing how regardless of how good the Patriots are and how bad the Jets are, they always give the Patriots one of the toughest games of the year.

Schematically the Patriots like to control the gaps and shed blocks, and I know he hasn't been very good at either, but I do sometimes wonder if a change of philosophy would help.

The Jets are not a good team. They allowed Cleveland to march all over them, who had them bang to rights on a few drives but turned the ball over in the red zone. 

I'd be disappointed if we didn't use this game to get massively back on track. But, it's always a strange one against them.

@tonyto36 Check your 'total defense' stats up there. :)

The Jets use tight man-coverage with their speedy linebackers and oftentimes drop a defensive lineman into the middle to clog up passing lanes. While Williams, Wilkerson, and the other pass rushers don’t generate much of a pass rush with just four, quarterbacks still have struggled to find open receivers in such a short span of time. Sound familiar?

Chris Hogan and Brandin Cooks will draw coverage from Claiborne and Skrine, while Adams could be asked to cover Rob Gronkowski. If the Patriots put Danny Amendola on the field, then he might draw Skrine’s coverage, leaving Cooks or Hogan with a much easier responsibility. 

Jets are 25th vs the run. We need to run heavy early in this game, I feel. 

Run, run, and run some more, with Brady taking advantage here and there.

The Jets offense shouldn't be able to keep up with ours. Hopefully the secondary play continues to improve, with the front 7 simply being average...Id take that happily.

1 hour ago, iothar said:

Heard a stat today that Mike G is the 2nd most efficient back in the NFL when facing 8 men in the box. The Patriots seem to be very obvious when they want to run the ball.

Yeah his role is line with Blount's last year. Belichick has stated that last year it was too obvious when Blount was in that they were most likely running the ball. It's why I'd like to see TD Mike used more in the passing game. Screens, play actions, etc. 

I'm interested to see if they give Lewis some more touches and if he can build off his game last Thursday.

2 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Yeah his role is line with Blount's last year. Belichick has stated that last year it was too obvious when Blount was in that they were most likely running the ball. It's why I'd like to see TD Mike used more in the passing game. Screens, play actions, etc. 

I'm interested to see if they give Lewis some more touches and if he can build off his game last Thursday.

I hope they keep using Lewis the same way they have been. He's best in a limited role

Archived