Week 6 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars (3-2) VS Los Angeles Rams (3-2)

.Buzz

10 hours ago, iPwn said:

There’s actually more to it than mechanical issues. He changed his kicking style for some reason, and it screwed with his head so much that he basically had a mental breakdown. The Bucs had him seeing a psychologist weekly.

Not that this changes your argument at all. He’s never going to be the Kicker he could have been.  He’s fundamentally broken. But just wanted to give this more than a “yeah, he just lost his groove, maybe some time away to clear his head can fix it” to counter the argument.

This is interesting to hear. Regardless, I was never impressed with Aguayo. He was "automatic" inside 40 yards in college, but he was nothing special outside 40 yards. The vast majority of NFL kickers hit something like 95% of their FGs inside 40 yards, so you're not gaining much even with a guy who is automatic. I never understood him going in the second. He was a late-Day 3 pick even if he hadn't fallen apart.

57 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is interesting to hear. Regardless, I was never impressed with Aguayo. He was "automatic" inside 40 yards in college, but he was nothing special outside 40 yards. The vast majority of NFL kickers hit something like 95% of their FGs inside 40 yards, so you're not gaining much even with a guy who is automatic. I never understood him going in the second. He was a late-Day 3 pick even if he hadn't fallen apart.

I honestly don't understand why NFL teams even pick kickers/punters anywhere near the 2nd Day.  I don't think they have any clue what they're doing.  Understandably so, because what's your average scout really going to know about such a highly specialized, heavily mental position that's so far outside the rest of the play of the game?  Sure, get a kicking coach, or a kicking scout or whatever out there to give their opinion...but how to you even then integrate that information into your big board?  How do your crosschecks and stuff work?  It's just a mess.

A lot like goaltending with a sport like hockey for instance.  Though they're at least on the playing surface during the normal run of play.  It's just a voodoo position as far as most scouts are concerned.

Archived