The good, bad, and ugly Ham sandwich vs Big Tuna

raidr4life

" Gruden is adamant that he doesn’t regret playing for the field goal. I’m actually on his side there, but he still deserves criticism for the defensive play call. It would’ve made more sense to go to a dime package with a third safety rather than keep two linebackers on the field. Also, the weakness of a Cover 2 zone is the intermediate space toward the sideline, which is obviously where the Dolphins wanted to go in that situation.

The Raiders may have been fine if Arnette stuck with his man the way Joyner and Mullen did, but a Cover 3 zone would’ve been the safer option. With defensive backs coach Jim O’Neil and assistant defensive backs coach Taver Johnson out due to COVID-19-related reasons, it was a risky gamble to trust a rookie corner and a second-year cornerback playing safety in Johnson to read and react. Marinelli calls defensive plays, but the head coach can always overrule a coordinator. In that case, he should’ve stepped in."

Just more on how the call was silly and trusting young guys who don't have their primary coaches, to read and react was a silly call. Poorly coach players who imo are over drafted. Is a recipe for disaster. 

Edited by dante9876
  • Like 1

It is going to be an interesting offseason from a coaching perspective. Gruden needs to hire some good teachers to help develop players on defense. As well as a creative DC.

This isn't as simple as "hire a known name" at DC. This team has 18 years of mismanaging their draft picks on defense. They have to create a culture of development and system of success on defense if they ever want to be a consistent winning franchise. 

Question I have... will Mark Davis spend money on a proper defensive staff? Or is he paying Gruden so much, it limits Gruden's ability to sign the right staff? 

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It is going to be an interesting offseason from a coaching perspective. Gruden needs to hire some good teachers to help develop players on defense. As well as a creative DC.

This isn't as simple as "hire a known name" at DC. This team has 18 years of mismanaging their draft picks on defense. They have to create a culture of development and system of success on defense if they ever want to be a consistent winning franchise. 

Question I have... will Mark Davis spend money on a proper defensive staff? Or is he paying Gruden so much, it limits Gruden's ability to sign the right staff? 

I’m going to go with the latter however I don’t understand the financials and actual liquid cash stuff. Shouldn’t mark not need the jaws of life to open his wallet and get a high quality staff ? 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That is not the proper question to ask.  The proper question is will any respectable or young, bight DC come to LV to coach a D that has been a graveyard for DC's for 20 years? 

Let's just say coaches are not banging down the door to coach this D that lacks talent across the board and has no clear direction as to where they are going.  I would not want to risk my career coming to LV only to have the upper management make draft picks YOY and sign players who never live up to the hype.  That is career death and coaches know it. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is not the proper question to ask.  The proper question is will any respectable or young, bight DC come to LV to coach a D that has been a graveyard for DC's for 20 years? 

Let's just say coaches are not banging down the door to coach this D that lacks talent across the board and has no clear direction as to where they are going.  I would not want to risk my career coming to LV only to have the upper management make draft picks YOY and sign players who never live up to the hype.  That is career death and coaches know it. 

That comes back to if they will pay such a guy. Money talks, which is what it will take imo to get the right guy. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That comes back to if they will pay such a guy. Money talks, which is what it will take imo to get the right guy. 

Not always..... 

Last year Byron Jones made a smart move and turned down more money from the Raiders to sign with the Phins.  Both he and his agent get it and no way wanted to be associated with this dumpster fire of a D with zero pass rush.  Smart move by Jones, as I would have done the same thing!

43 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Not always..... 

Last year Byron Jones made a smart move and turned down more money from the Raiders to sign with the Phins.  Both he and his agent get it and no way wanted to be associated with this dumpster fire of a D with zero pass rush.  Smart move by Jones, as I would have done the same thing!

I'm not talking about players, I'm talking about coaches and paying a good defensive staff. Which helps attract players.  

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm not talking about players, I'm talking about coaches and paying a good defensive staff. Which helps attract players.  

Your logic is flawed if you think there is a difference.  The principal is the same for players and coaches.  

A little extra money to come coach a team with little to no talent and YOY has been a bottom 3 D for the last 20 years is not appealing to any coach.  Any young respectable coach would not want to inherit this dumpster fire and potentially ruin their career or set it back years by getting embarrassed every Sunday like the Raiders D has been doing for as long as I can remember. 

If you say you would come coach this team for a little extra cash you don't understand the business of football.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's been a solid CB for Miami all season. One bad play doesn't make a player. The Raiders would have been 10x better off with Jones at corner than Littleton at LB.

Solid is questionable but he's paid way too much to only be solid anyway. If he was playing the same for the Raiders, nobody would be happy.

Edited by oakdb36

5 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Thank you Byron Jones for not signing with the Raiders.

That’s why nelly is carrs new fav wr and not hr3 it’s his routes. Hr3 runs lazy routes. Carr even said in practice nelly runs routes at 110% and it shows in the game. Hr3 barely available for practice 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN