ESPN's Adam Schefter: Fangio will return next year

7DnBrnc53

We were sapped by injuries this year no doubt, but if they don't draft someone high to compete with Lock or trade for a Stafford or something along those lines, he doesn't deserve it. 

I won't let some average performances against terrible defenses cloud my judgement

Edited by BullsandBroncos

Vic has proven two things, he’s an excellent defensive coordinator and a below-average, to be nice, head coach. 

But, as I’ve long said, this team is so cash poor that there’s no way they could afford to pay out his and the rest of the staffs’ contracts and hire all new ones. That was unlikely before the pandemic but the team made next to no money this year. 

As to what you say, @BullsandBroncos, they really only have three options - trade for a real starter (Stanford, Ryan, Wentz), draft a guy and give him the keys immediately, give Lock another shot after a real offseason, some more pieces added  and continuity with the coaching staff. 

The stupidest thing this team could do is go for a journeyman or mid-round pick and subject us to another “the decision” in camp. Spinning our wheels in that respect, again, makes zero sense. Furthermore, I don’t think the coaching staff will go for that anyway. 

Given that the team is likely to be sold in the next 12 months, if they can’t land a proven, veteran starter with mileage left on his tires, I think continuity will be the theme of this off-season as everything is getting blown up next January anyway. 

• Like 2

I have no issue keeping Fangio for another season. The team plays hard for him, this year was weird, and the ownership situation is a tire fire. Might as well roll with it in hopes they take the next step. I do think Denver has generally played well this year, defensively for sure, but the offense needs more time. Next year is do or die for him, especially given the ownership thing should be figured out as Dan said.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

To me, this confirms that Elway is coming back for another year (even though I don't know why he would want to).

Schefter’s credibility has taken a hit of late; thus I’m almost certain his source was either Elway or Ellis, he wouldn’t want to get this one wrong. This isn’t coming from an agent or even from Patrick Smyth. 

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Schefter’s credibility has taken a hit of late; thus I’m almost certain his source was either Elway or Ellis, he wouldn’t want to get this one wrong. This isn’t coming from an agent or even from Patrick Smyth. 

It has? Curious what makes you say that?

I still like and believe in Lock as the guy I know I'm in the minority. But the picks at qb that Elway has made make no sense when you view them in context.

I mean he was drafted in the second round what you hope is he evolves by year 3 and you have two cheap cost controlled years making the window very open.

Getting rid of the oc hampered all of that.

I'll admit I was wrong on Lynch but the book was written that he needed two years to develop which is irrelevant bc he would of busted out regardless but you have Siemian and Sanchez to have a presence and it was an epic disaster.

Also why get rid of brandon allen he's still playing well for cincy

Not surprising given how the ownership situation has been laid out.   But it’s hard to see Elway / Fangio going into their make or break year with only Lock as the QB.   It would be shocking to see anything less than a vet signing for a guy who can at the very least challenge Lock (Fitzmagic, Winston).    Sadly there is no easy instant starter upgrade solution, not with the aging QB situation hitting more teams this offseason.   

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Not surprising given how the ownership situation has been laid out.   But it’s hard to see Elway / Fangio going into their make or break year with only Lock as the QB.   It would be shocking to see anything less than a vet signing for a guy who can at the very least challenge Lock (Fitzmagic, Winston).    Sadly there is no easy instant starter upgrade solution, not with the aging QB situation hitting more teams this offseason.   

If I had to pick out of those 2 honestly it would be Winston.  Yeah he’s gonna lose ya some games, but he’s capable of putting up a monster game and that’s what it takes to beat the chiefs