Pick one, runningbacks.

Kiwibrown

Which one would you want on your team?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you want on your team?

• Ezekiel Elliot
    • Leonard Fournette
    • Todd gurley
    • Christian Mccaffery
    • Jordan howard
    • David johnson
    • Kareem Hunt
    • other
    • homer pick; not above.

@Ward4HOF

Did you happen to read the post 4 notches above yours before going on about how slighted the Steelers are..?

On 10/13/2017 at 4:02 PM, Kiwibrown said:

oversight , I thought he was a year older than DJ, who was the cusp of the age I wanted in the poll.

to be fair to myself Bell has played a couple more years than DJ. 

I find the lack of Bell and MGIII disturbing. I'm assuming there is an experience cut-off which is why Bell was left out, but Melvin?

If I'm building a franchise position by position and RB is on the clock, here's my BB...

1. Bell
  2. Johnson
  3. Gurley
  4. Elliott
  5. Fournette
  6. Gordon
  7. Hunt
  8. Henry
  9. Freeman
  10. Howard

I still think Shady, Demarco and Blount are highly effective backs, but their days are numbered. I see 2 more years, max, of quality production for each of them before they fall off steeply, so I have no interest in investing in them.

On 10/17/2017 at 12:05 PM, Ward4HOF said:

Wow! So how did Bell go from being one of the top 2-3 backs the past few years to not even mentioned as one of the top 7, especially considering he's still only 25? 

First, Ben is 'Done' in another thread after one bad week, and one 'meh' one...NO ONE was thinking it 3 weeks ago (Then he goes on to have a ho-hum 10.1 YPA and 97.4 Passer Rating, and NOW, I open this thread, and because Bell, who sat out all of Training Camp and Preseason, has a couple of 'meh' games of his own, all of a sudden isn't one of the top RBs anymore? He's only ran for 370yds, 3TDs, on 4.5 YPC, and added another 100 yds receiving the last 3 weeks, to put him at 3rd in total rushing, now that he's knocked the rust off a bit.

It just amazes me how quickly a player is 'downgraded' on this forum.

I just had, about 5-6 weeks ago, a 'back and forth' with a Falcons fan, Jarren, after this little nugget in the Falcons' 4 vs Steelers' 4:

"Julio > Brown (I'm not sure why people think AB is better. Julio is firmly the #1 WR imo)"

Which I thought was a pretty bold statement...and as I stated in that thread, not because I think the opposite is true, but because I don't believe ANY WR has that distinction, and even if one was, he certainly wouldn't be FIRMLY...

...but I digress...my point is, Julio is having a very -meh- start to his season this year. He's ranked, in WRs (not counting RBs or TEs): 

T-18th (at best)  in Rec/Gm

12th in Yds/Gm

15th in Yds (Due to Bye Week, otherwise, would be at least, 12th, of course)

T-76th in TDs (with "0")

Anyway, point is, Julio is still Julio, and  top 5 WR in this league, despite his slow start to the season. Would he be left off  thread like this, but for WRs??  Just curious, because Le'Veon was a 2nd Team AP All-Pro last Season, and an All-Star, yet (when this thread was made) 5 games into the season, and he's already being discounted as, at BEST, the 8th best RB in the NFL?

Yeah, I'm being a total homer here, but I also feel this is a valid point. Howard?  Elliott?  McCaffrey?  Even worse...David Johnson?? At least Le'Veon has played this year...AND had more than one stellar season in his career.

The reason I didn't include Bell is because we know what he is. When healthy the bes or 2nd or 4rd best running back in the league depending on the week. None of the other guys on the list have completely declared how good they are.
People crowned Zeke the no1 back in the league, Gil Brandit put him top 30 all time. But he looks average in 2017. 

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I find the lack of Bell and MGIII disturbing. I'm assuming there is an experience cut-off which is why Bell was left out, but Melvin?

If I'm building a franchise position by position and RB is on the clock, here's my BB...

1. Bell
  2. Johnson
  3. Gurley
  4. Elliott
  5. Fournette
  6. Gordon
  7. Hunt
  8. Henry
  9. Freeman
  10. Howard

I still think Shady, Demarco and Blount are highly effective backs, but their days are numbered. I see 2 more years, max, of quality production for each of them before they fall off steeply, so I have no interest in investing in them.

I didn't think that anyone would take Melvin as the best young back in the league, even a San Deigo fan. 

19 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

@Ward4HOF

Did you happen to read the post 4 notches above yours before going on about how slighted the Steelers are..?

No, I did not, obviously, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered. Sorry. It just was not in the OP that the only RBs being looked at were a 3rd year RBs or 'newer', especially when one of them is older than Bell, so I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread, my point had nothing to do with any comment within the thread; only the fact that it seemed silly to include a RB older than Bell, with not near the level of career production...AND...he is injured, to boot. Just seemed weird to me, is all.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

No, I did not, obviously, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered. Sorry. It just was not in the OP that the only RBs being looked at were a 3rd year RBs or 'newer', especially when one of them is older than Bell, so I didn't bother reading the rest of the thread, my point had nothing to do with any comment within the thread; only the fact that it seemed silly to include a RB older than Bell, with not near the level of career production...AND...he is injured, to boot. Just seemed weird to me, is all.

Stuck out to me as well, but I figured he was looking for younger backs (even though Bell fits the criteria in this case). 

No biggy, but not a jab at any Steeler! 

On 10/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

What in the world?

Fournette has 90 more carries than Ivory......

I know you posted that on Friday but LF is at 4.6 YPC now and Ivory is at 4.1

Fournette has seen 8 + men in the box on HALF of his 130 carries. Yea, he is good.

My point is that the run blocking has been good for Jacksonville despite popular belief.

Hunt has been better than Fournette by virtually every metric this season so I'm not quite sure why people are taking him. Hunt has more breakaway runs, yards after contact, and looks better as a receiver. I don't care that Fournette was overdrafted I'm taking the better back.

23 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Hunt has been better than Fournette by virtually every metric this season so I'm not quite sure why people are taking him. Hunt has more breakaway runs, yards after contact, and looks better as a receiver. I don't care that Fournette was overdrafted I'm taking the better back.

Who plays behind the better OL, Hunt or Fournette? Who plays with a passing attack that is a bigger threat deep - thus unloading the box - Hunt or Fournette? Who plays with the better QB and coach, Hunt or Fournette? Who is the physically more talented player, Hunt or Fournette? 

Kareem has been a monster this year and is showing that he belongs in the conversation with the other young backs in the league, but it isn’t crazy to want Fournette over him in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Who plays behind the better OL, Hunt or Fournette? Who plays with a passing attack that is a bigger threat deep - thus unloading the box - Hunt or Fournette? Who plays with the better QB and coach, Hunt or Fournette? Who is the physically more talented player, Hunt or Fournette? 

Kareem has been a monster this year and is showing that he belongs in the conversation with the other young backs in the league, but it isn’t crazy to want Fournette over him in the long run. 

Both JAX and KC have been pretty even in run blocking efficiency, actually: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Fournette has seen more stacked boxes, but Hunt has still been very efficient vs them. And LIS, Hunt has the most yards after contact in the league. 

I never said it was "crazy" to put Fournette over him either, just wondering why one would.

1 hour ago, Nzd07 said:

Both JAX and KC have been pretty even in run blocking efficiency, actually: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Fournette has seen more stacked boxes, but Hunt has still been very efficient vs them. And LIS, Hunt has the most yards after contact in the league. 

I never said it was "crazy" to put Fournette over him either, just wondering why one would.

Not really buying a ranking that has New England as the league’s best run blockers. The running game has definitely not been a strength of this team. 

Not all contact is created equally. Breaking one tackle in the secondary and running for 60 yards nets you more YAC than barreling through 3 defenders for 10 yards. 

The reason why anyone would can be explained by the questions I asked. Behind a worse OL, no QB, unproven HC, and against stacked boxes, Fournette is still displaying his physical ability as a runner. Hunt has been doing much of the same - with even more production - but in a much more favorable position. People were trying to pump the brakes on Zeke last season for similar reasons. 

3 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

Because they like his manliness 

Archived