Pick one, runningbacks.

Kiwibrown

Which one would you want on your team?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you want on your team?

• Ezekiel Elliot
    • Leonard Fournette
    • Todd gurley
    • Christian Mccaffery
    • Jordan howard
    • David johnson
    • Kareem Hunt
    • other
    • homer pick; not above.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Not really buying a ranking that has New England as the league’s best run blockers. The running game has definitely not been a strength of this team. 

Not all contact is created equally. Breaking one tackle in the secondary and running for 60 yards nets you more YAC than barreling through 3 defenders for 10 yards. 

The reason why anyone would can be explained by the questions I asked. Behind a worse OL, no QB, unproven HC, and against stacked boxes, Fournette is still displaying his physical ability as a runner. Hunt has been doing much of the same - with even more production - but in a much more favorable position. People were trying to pump the brakes on Zeke last season for similar reasons. 

So what's your proof for Hunt having the better line? And I would argue that Gillislee has looked pretty bad this year which has hurt the run game. It was good last year with Blount.

And obviously people were wrong to pump the breaks on Zeke because he's really freaking good.

5 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

So what's your proof for Hunt having the better line? And I would argue that Gillislee has looked pretty bad this year which has hurt the run game. It was good last year with Blount.

And obviously people were wrong to pump the breaks on Zeke because he's really freaking good.

I’d be going off what I’ve seen (so take it with a grain of salt). That, and based off of word of mouth among Chiefs/Jags fans. 

Gillislee hasn’t been “bad”, but the line hasn’t done much for him. The offensive line has definitely regressed from last season for whatever reason (Solder is likely playing through an injury, Cannon has regressed). 

And yes, they were correct in doing so. Zeke has looked human this year compared to last, and the only big change is that the Dallas line has also regressed. Although, people are saying Zeke is a bit out of shape this year, so it could be that too. 

Staying on topic, between the context that I’ve listed, one can pretty easily see why Fournette is seen more favorably than Hunt, despite how great Hunt has looked.

53 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’d be going off what I’ve seen (so take it with a grain of salt). That, and based off of word of mouth among Chiefs/Jags fans. 

Gillislee hasn’t been “bad”, but the line hasn’t done much for him. The offensive line has definitely regressed from last season for whatever reason (Solder is likely playing through an injury, Cannon has regressed). 

And yes, they were correct in doing so. Zeke has looked human this year compared to last, and the only big change is that the Dallas line has also regressed. Although, people are saying Zeke is a bit out of shape this year, so it could be that too. 

Staying on topic, between the context that I’ve listed, one can pretty easily see why Fournette is seen more favorably than Hunt, despite how great Hunt has looked.

To each his own I guess. I don't think Jacksonville's run blocking has been bad at all, in fact I think it's been pretty good. You obviously disagree from whatever information you've gathered. And yes, Gillislee has been pretty bad. There's a reason he's losing snaps and carries to Dion Lewis.

And no, none of your context has made it easy to take Fournette over Hunt, in my opinion. I continue to believe Hunt has been the better back.

3 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

To each his own I guess. I don't think Jacksonville's run blocking has been bad at all, in fact I think it's been pretty good. You obviously disagree from whatever information you've gathered. And yes, Gillislee has been pretty bad. There's a reason he's losing snaps and carries to Dion Lewis.

And no, none of your context has made it easy to take Fournette over Hunt, in my opinion. I continue to believe Hunt has been the better back.

Shrug

Never said their blocking was bad, but I don’t think they’re opening things up for Fournette as much as KC’s line is for Hunt. That probably has a lot to do with the number of defenders in the box, but that’s just my take (I haven’t watched a ton of film on the two lines to have a really solid opinion on the matter). Even by your metric, they’re still worse. 

Lewis is a superior runner when he’s truly 100% healthy. That, and for some reason, teams think Lewis is a threat out of the backfield. When Gil is out there, it’s a tell tale sign, similar to how it was with Blount last year. Gillislee isn’t the type of back to play well behind a bad line (which the Pats have at the moment), but he’s the type to excel if he gets running lanes. Lewis is more apt for making something out of nothing IMO. Even then, he just barely broke 10 attempts this past game, it isn’t like he’s running away with the starting job. He’s got 30 on the season. 

Our OL when healthy is probably a good bit better than Jacksonville's. This season, I haven't seen Jacksonville's enough to say, but we've been missing pretty much our entire interior line. The amount that Hunt creates despite that is astounding. He's gotten hit at or behind the LOS very often the past 3 or 4 weeks when we've been without Morse and LDT.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:56 PM, Nzd07 said:

Both JAX and KC have been pretty even in run blocking efficiency, actually: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Fournette has seen more stacked boxes, but Hunt has still been very efficient vs them. And LIS, Hunt has the most yards after contact in the league. 

I never said it was "crazy" to put Fournette over him either, just wondering why one would.

It's easy watching the games to see that KC has far better run blocking than Jax.

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's easy watching the games to see that KC has far better run blocking than Jax.

It certianly looked abysmal in the Pittsburgh game. Hunt still finished with 89 yards through the air. Hunt, like Bell and Johnson, are almost impossible to take out of a game completely due to their receiving skills. That's the kind of back I want.

6 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

It certianly looked abysmal in the Pittsburgh game. Hunt still finished with 89 yards through the air. Hunt, like Bell and Johnson, are almost impossible to take out of a game completely due to their receiving skills. That's the kind of back I want.

Hunt isn't a special receiver. That's Andy Reid's offense at play.

It may have looked bad against Pittsburgh, but it's been quite good in most games.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Hunt isn't a special receiver. That's Andy Reid's offense at play.

It may have looked bad against Pittsburgh, but it's been quite good in most games.

Hunt may not be 'special' as a receiver (yet), but he's keeping West on the sidelines while Ivory is still playing passing downs in Jacksonville. Like Jakuvious said, KC has also been missing much of their interior line this season. You are a well respected poster and are entitled to your own opinion, but all the metrics are pointing to Kareem Hunt being better thus far.

37 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Hunt may not be 'special' as a receiver (yet), but he's keeping West on the sidelines while Ivory is still playing passing downs in Jacksonville. Like Jakuvious said, KC has also been missing much of their interior line this season. You are a well respected poster and are entitled to your own opinion, but all the metrics are pointing to Kareem Hunt being better thus far.

I don't judge players by metrics. It's also not true that he's keeping West on the sidelines. KC often subs Hunt out on 3rd downs. Hunt and Fournette are both likely to be great HBs, but Fournette is doing special things behind an unimpressive OL on a team with no passing threat.

Give me Gurley. I think he is complete back. I’d go to his rookie season where he was OROY and started his first 4 career starts with at least 125yds rushing which no running back has ever done that to start a career. Mind you that he did it coming off an acl injury less than 8 months prior and behind a terrible oline.

The Rams now have a very good oline, and a great system and Gurley is on pace to do something that only Priest Holmes has done (2x in his career) and that’s rush for 1400yds and receive for over 600yds with 18 total tds in a season. 

To sum it all up, Fisher drafted Gurley to be his Eddie George and McVay came in and turned Gurley into his Marshall Faulk. How many backs can transform into two different styles of all-time great backs? Plus Gurley is durable only missing 1 start in his NFL career once he made his debut Week 3 against the Steelers in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived