BDL 2020 BizzBowl Championship - #7 Cuba Smugglers vs. #6 Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

Ragnarok

Who wins?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Cuba Smugglers
    • Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2020 at 05:00 AM

I've gone back and forth on this since I posted the game threads and even changed my mind three times as I typed this up.  Both teams have excellent game plans, attacking what I think we all expected.

ICBR has an elite pass rush on the edges and I think would cause serious issues all game.  However, the interior OL of Cuba is very good so Watson could step up in the pocket.  Cuba has very little pass rush, but the right side of that ICBR OL leaves quite a bit to be desired.  

Cuba's LBs are poopie, but I dunno if Jared Cook can take advantage of that consistently while ICBR has excellent LBs and Ian would be a nonfactor.  Cuba's CBs are playing pretty well(Sherman being out actually helps them imo as he has been very rough), but ICBR's have been meh at best. 

What it comes down to for me is basically which team I think can establish the run more effectively as that is key for the offensive success of both teams.  Tannehill in particular needs a run game to be effective.  

I think the ICBR linebackers make the difference for me here.  Their DL should keep them clean and allow them to really limit Cook so that Cuba has to be a bit more one-dimensional.  I don't trust the Cuba DL to keep their linebackers from getting blocked.  I know Cuba talked about a heavier set early, but I really don't think those linebackers can get off blocks quick enough to keep Chubb from picking up consistent yardage on the ground.  

ICBR keeps a more effective, consistent ground game going and hits one more play-action pass than Cuba.

42 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

oh hi, I'd vote but yall would know I 'd just vote for TanneGod by default so I think all of you would agree I should abstain here

Way I see it, abstaining is just the same as saying Tannehill doesn't deserve a Ship, if you ask me, in my opinion, for what it's worth, to be quite honest.

But I do understand, and that's why I only tagged current owners who didn't vote yet.

Been looking at this all week.  Unlike some, I don't think the loss of McLaurin is a hamstringing loss, I like Tannehill's trio to have maybe a small amount of less success against a Cuba CB group that doesn't match well in my opinion.  ICBR's Hydra look is imposing and will get wins, limiting DeShaun in 3rd and long situations, although I don't think Cuba will be stymied on the ground.  I really like Cuba's offensive gameplan, but ICBR also planned well defensively as well.  ICBR has some issues on the O Line,, but I don't think Cuba brings pass rushing talent to the table to take advantage.  In the end, I think Tannehill has shown me this season that given a supporting cast, he can perform at a championship level when playing with a lead or in a tight ground based slog.  Awesome effort and great seasons from both teams, but in my mind ICBR takes it.

I went with Cuba in the end. 

Both excellent sides and excellent gameplans. 

I think Cuba can move the ball given the strength of their backfield and OL. Watson is playing better than any QB not named Aaron or Josh at the moment and in this matchup he gets considerable upgrades along the offensive line, in the backfield and at receiver. Ivory Coast has an undoubtedly elite defensive front, but Cuba's going to move the ball against anyone with that lineup. That Ivory Coast pass rush certainly gets some wins, but Cuba's OL holds up better than any other and with Watson's scrambling ability, I think Cuba's able to sustain drives and keep things moving. 

On the other side of the ball, I still like the Rhinos ability to move the ball against a Cuba D which isn't exactly star studded. However as others have pointed out, losing McLaurin is a big blow. I also think with the emergence of Gary, Cuba's got enough versatility on the DL to get pressure on Tannehill against an OL which isn't great. I think targeting Cuba's LBs given the struggles they've had at the position would've been the smart play and while I get the run & play-action are the Ivory Coast staples, mixing it up could have been beneficial. 

Cuba 24 - 20 Ivory Coast