Jaguars clinch first overall selection in 2021 Draft

RaidersAreOne

I don't get why people think Lawrence won't dramatically turn the Jaguars around.

Chark (24) + Shenault (22) is a very good young duo.
James Robinson is dominating given the circumstances.

Given a new staff, maybe they hire a OL coach to make the pieces work because there are pieces. Jawaan Taylor has upside, Cam Robinson is alright and Linder and Norwell have had top 5 at their position years before. Sure you might want more athleticism in your tackles or whatever, but those 4 v. what the Jets have which is just Becton is a far better situation for a young QB. It's not a world beater supporting cast, but if you added a TE to the team it's better than the rest of the bottom 10 teams I'd think (outside of SF I guess, but that'd be pretty dumb if they landed Lawrence).

17 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't get why people think Lawrence won't dramatically turn the Jaguars around.

Chark (24) + Shenault (22) is a very good young duo.
James Robinson is dominating given the circumstances.

Given a new staff, maybe they hire a OL coach to make the pieces work because there are pieces. Jawaan Taylor has upside, Cam Robinson is alright and Linder and Norwell have had top 5 at their position years before. Sure you might want more athleticism in your tackles or whatever, but those 4 v. what the Jets have which is just Becton is a far better situation for a young QB. It's not a world beater supporting cast, but if you added a TE to the team it's better than the rest of the bottom 10 teams I'd think (outside of SF I guess, but that'd be pretty dumb if they landed Lawrence).

The biggest question is going to be the defense. That pass defense is atrocious at times. They have resources to make it better, but there’s a big question of how quickly it’s going to be competitive. 

PICK TEAM REC PCT GB SOS

1 1-14 .067 -- .548

2 2-13 .133 1.0 .593

3 4-11 .267 3.0 .542

4 4-11 .267 3.0 .550

5 4-10-1 .300 3.5 .527

6 4-10-1 .300 3.5 .531

7 5-10 .333 4.0 .504

8 5-10 .333 4.0 .506

9 5-10 .333 4.0 .529

10 5-10 .333 4.0 .567

24 minutes ago, pwny said:

The biggest question is going to be the defense. That pass defense is atrocious at times. They have resources to make it better, but there’s a big question of how quickly it’s going to be competitive. 

If they hire Robert Saleh in FA with their insane budge they could import some of Richard Sherman, Akhello Witherspoon, KWaun Williams, Jaquiski Tartt and Jason Verrett or whatever. Kerry Hyder and Solomon Thomas might want to follow (Thomas for a new start and familiarity, and Hyder to maintain success plus get paid a bit).

QB: Trevor Lawrence
RB: James Robinson
WR: DJ Chark, Chris Conley
WR: Laviska Shenault, Keelan Cole
Slot: Dede Westbrook
TE: ???
LT: Cam Robinson or an upgrade
LG: Andrew Norwell
OC: Brandon Linder

RG: AJ Cann or an upgrade
RT: Jawaan Taylor

DE: Kerry Hyder,
DT: Davon Hamilton
DT: Taven Bryan, Solomon Thomas
DE: Josh Allen, Klavon Chaisson
LB: Myles Jack
LB: Joe Schobert
CB: Richard Sherman, Jason Verrett
CB: CJ Henderson, DJ Hayden
FS: Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons or Malik Hooker or a draft pick, or in house option
SS: Jaquiski Tartt, or in house option

I'd be shocked if the Jags took Lawrence, then if he was healthy picked in the top 10 next year. They'd really have to blow the front office and coaching hires imo. An offense that can actually drive will also help your defense by keeping them off the field and limit turnovers. If you score one more touchdown and give up a FG less points per game you'd be 7 or 8 win team.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Great way to phrase it. Beating the Texans week 5 would have been a fleeting W at most... this situation? This is suddenly putting you in the playoff discussion on a yearly basis.

Jags have some firepower on offense, so Lawrence will have tools to work with. 

My only hope as a fan in division is that someone in Jax overthinks it and takes Fields or Wilson. Long shot... but it's possible.

I just can't imagine that happening.  When you consider what a financial impact Lawrence will likely make on the franchise from Day 1, I have to believe that there will be ZERO consideration of doing anything other than turning in that pick with his name on it.  I would think that this pick is likely made by ownership, whether the GM, coaches, and scouts like it or not.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

If they hire Robert Saleh in FA with their insane budge they could import some of Richard Sherman, Akhello Witherspoon, KWaun Williams, Jaquiski Tartt and Jason Verrett or whatever. Kerry Hyder and Solomon Thomas might want to follow (Thomas for a new start and familiarity, and Hyder to maintain success plus get paid a bit).

QB: Trevor Lawrence
RB: James Robinson
WR: DJ Chark, Chris Conley
WR: Laviska Shenault, Keelan Cole
Slot: Dede Westbrook
TE: ???
LT: Cam Robinson or an upgrade
LG: Andrew Norwell
OC: Brandon Linder

RG: AJ Cann or an upgrade
RT: Jawaan Taylor

DE: Kerry Hyder,
DT: Davon Hamilton
DT: Taven Bryan, Solomon Thomas
DE: Josh Allen, Klavon Chaisson
LB: Myles Jack
LB: Joe Schobert
CB: Richard Sherman, Jason Verrett
CB: CJ Henderson, DJ Hayden
FS: Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons or Malik Hooker or a draft pick, or in house option
SS: Jaquiski Tartt, or in house option

I'd be shocked if the Jags took Lawrence, then if he was healthy picked in the top 10 next year. They'd really have to blow the front office and coaching hires imo. An offense that can actually drive will also help your defense by keeping them off the field and limit turnovers. If you score one more touchdown and give up a FG less points per game you'd be 7 or 8 win team.

As much as I like Saleh, I'm hoping they go with an offensive minded head coach.  When you get a player who has a chance to be in the elite tier of quarterbacks in the league, it just makes sense to give him every chance possible to realize his potential.  Just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, seminoles1 said:
12 hours ago, showtime said:

Good for them. Now you just have to hope that Lawrence pans out. I really don't believe he's a "can't mass prospect" like many people do, but if he can be as good as someone like Andrew Luck (a lot of people are saying the best prospect since Luck) then that would be great for Jacksonville.

Do you say this because you just don't believe in can't miss prospects or just not a Lawrence believer?

Not to be "that guy", but people are discounting the odds that he busts (or that the Jags ruin him).

We just watched the same thing happen with the Colts and Andrew Luck. They got 7 years/80 games out of him, and instead of perennial super bowl dominance, all it amounted to was an AFC CCG where the pressure in the balls was more important than their performance. Eventually, they fixed their OL, but the damage was done. 24 months ago we were talking about the Texans walking over the division for a decade, but BOB BOB'd and now they're in complete no mans land. 12 months ago we were saying the Bengals are back because they're going to get Burrow, and while it's early, they've already made Carson Palmer level progress in ruining his career with that awful OL they stuck him behind.

I'm not saying it will happen or that this is bad news for the Jags or anything. I'm saying the odds that Lawrence becomes the monster everyone expects are being overestimated, and the odds that he gets hurt and doesn't quite come back the same are higher than you'd expect. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Malfatron said:

dear lord, so sorry houston

Y'know... I've dealt with Peyton Manning. I've dealt with Andrew Luck. I'm still here.

Only difference here is that it won't be a Colt, and this time... it won't be David Carr or Matt Schaub on the Texans sideline.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Y'know... I've dealt with Peyton Manning. I've dealt with Andrew Luck. I'm still here.

Only difference here is that it won't be a Colt, and this time... it won't be David Carr or Matt Schaub on the Texans sideline.

I don't know how people can watch the Jaguars systematically pee in the Cheerios of every good player they've drafted over the last few years, the number of corpses of former #1 overall QBs that bad franchises leave on the side of the road and think "can't see how this will go wrong".

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Please tell me BoB didn't give away Houston's first AND second round picks in a season when they are possibly going to go #3 overall.  No wonder @ET80 wants the guy tarred and feathered!

*Shrug*

Similar situation in the 2018 draft - Cleveland owned 1.4 (Denzel Ward) and 2.4 (Nick Chubb). Sure, Ward and Chubb are two incredible players, but would anyone really trade these two players for Deshaun Watson?

Granted, I don't feel the same about Larmey Tunsil - I like Tunsil a lot, I think he's an top 5 LT, but I don't think he's as transformative as a top 5 QB. It was an overpay, but what can be done about it now?

My hatred for BoB goes much deeper than this. It's not a mark in his favor, sure - but it's not THE reason.

• Like 2