Jaguars clinch first overall selection in 2021 Draft

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't know how people can watch the Jaguars systematically pee in the Cheerios of every good player they've drafted over the last few years, the number of corpses of former #1 overall QBs that bad franchises leave on the side of the road and think "can't see how this will go wrong".

It's the old gamblers fallacy - they've lost so much in terms of player development, it's certain to turn around.

I'm erring on the side of caution, because I'm vested in this division - but I would be lying if I didn't think what you're thinking.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's the old gamblers fallacy - they've lost so much in terms of player development, it's certain to turn around.

I'm erring on the side of caution, because I'm vested in this division - but I would be lying if I didn't think what you're thinking.

Yeah you're obligated to think he'll be a monster because if not you're tempting God.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah you're obligated to think he'll be a monster because if not you're tempting God.

And... To offset some of the bad juju I'm putting out in the universe:

- Trevor Lawrence has been groomed for this moment since he was 12. His success has created a cottage industry of private QB coaches, guys like Sean Salisbury and Chris Weinke suddenly are in demand. He's been hyped up to the moon and back and... He's actually living up to it. He's been relatively low key and grounded in it all, which tells me the money isn't going to change him and the work ethic is there to pick up an NFL prep schedule in stride.

- The Jags offense is actually pretty good. DJ Chark is a lower-middle class mans' AJ Green, Laviska Shenault is a guy in the Deebo Samuel/Brandon Aiyuk mold, James Robinson was the best rookie RB this season (convincingly, at that) and the OL is serviceable at worst. So, Lawrence isn't walking into a complete nightmare (such as NYJ, which is a funky logo/color scheme away from being an XFL team in terms of talent).

- This entire GM/coaching staff is going to be revamped... specifically to him. Shad Khan is going to find guys who love working with Lawrence, scouts, coaches and grad assistants who have watched every single snap of his and tailor the team to him, from draft picks to offensive philosophy. I'm really thinking Dabo Swinney has got to be the clubhouse leader for this opening.

- Jacksonville isn't front page news. This isn't going to be Page 6 tabloid fodder to distract Lawrence; He's going to be able to work on the finer aspects of his game in relative obscurity, much like Mahomes in KC. No tabloids following him, no paparazzi hounding him, no NY actresses throwing him panties... It's just football in Jacksonville.

So, I have created balance. Now, here's to hoping Zach Wilson balls out in shorts and a t-shirt come March...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not to be "that guy", but people are discounting the odds that he busts (or that the Jags ruin him).

We just watched the same thing happen with the Colts and Andrew Luck. They got 7 years/80 games out of him, and instead of perennial super bowl dominance, all it amounted to was an AFC CCG where the pressure in the balls was more important than their performance. Eventually, they fixed their OL, but the damage was done. 24 months ago we were talking about the Texans walking over the division for a decade, but BOB BOB'd and now they're in complete no mans land. 12 months ago we were saying the Bengals are back because they're going to get Burrow, and while it's early, they've already made Carson Palmer level progress in ruining his career with that awful OL they stuck him behind.

I'm not saying it will happen or that this is bad news for the Jags or anything. I'm saying the odds that Lawrence becomes the monster everyone expects are being overestimated, and the odds that he gets hurt and doesn't quite come back the same are higher than you'd expect. 

Which I fully understand and agree with. I simply wanted some clarification on his thoughts about Lawrence as a prospect, whether he wasn't a believer in Lawrence himself as a prospect or was being cautious with all the "guaranteed" success as you said.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

And... To offset some of the bad juju I'm putting out in the universe:

- Trevor Lawrence has been groomed for this moment since he was 12. His success has created a cottage industry of private QB coaches, guys like Sean Salisbury and Chris Weinke suddenly are in demand. He's been hyped up to the moon and back and... He's actually living up to it. He's been relatively low key and grounded in it all, which tells me the money isn't going to change him and the work ethic is there to pick up an NFL prep schedule in stride.

- The Jags offense is actually pretty good. DJ Chark is a lower-middle class mans' AJ Green, Laviska Shenault is a guy in the Deebo Samuel/Brandon Aiyuk mold, James Robinson was the best rookie RB this season (convincingly, at that) and the OL is serviceable at worst. So, Lawrence isn't walking into a complete nightmare (such as NYJ, which is a funky logo/color scheme away from being an XFL team in terms of talent).

- This entire GM/coaching staff is going to be revamped... specifically to him. Shad Khan is going to find guys who love working with Lawrence, scouts, coaches and grad assistants who have watched every single snap of his and tailor the team to him, from draft picks to offensive philosophy. I'm really thinking Dabo Swinney has got to be the clubhouse leader for this opening.

- Jacksonville isn't front page news. This isn't going to be Page 6 tabloid fodder to distract Lawrence; He's going to be able to work on the finer aspects of his game in relative obscurity, much like Mahomes in KC. No tabloids following him, no paparazzi hounding him, no NY actresses throwing him panties... It's just football in Jacksonville.

So, I have created balance. Now, here's to hoping Zach Wilson balls out in shorts and a t-shirt come March...

This is a very impressive reverse jinx. But on the flipside, Tom Coughlin has already fined Lawrence for not being 30 minutes early to the first optional team meeting, which is equally as impressive since neither Coughlin nor Lawrence are Jaguars in any official capacity.

• Like 2