Jump to content

2021 Edge Prospects


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Rousseau is disliked by the online draft community because he doesn't pitch the fast ball. While I don't consider him a slam-dunk top 10 player, I do think he fits comfortably in that 10-15 range. He has a rare mix or strength, length, and agility that really plays well all along the defensive line the NFL. His strength is really getting undersold--I have yet to see an offensive lineman displace him.

I have seem him get called stiff, but I don't think he's stiff at all--maybe stiff is just another word for tall? It's his agility that makes him probably the best finisher I have seen in this class. Once he gets in tackling range, he plants his foot into the grass, redirects, and lunges like a leopard for the kill.

I agree with this. As someone who went from a Rousseau hater back to lover I think the biggest problem is we turn on his tape expecting a guy who will fire of the edge, bend around the tackle like Von Miller and strip sack the QB. Thats not his game. He plays with great length and damn good hands for a guy with so little experience. I dont care what he does in his rookie season give him 2 years and you got a player. I dont love him in the 3-4 as a OLB. I like him as a DE in a 3-4 or anywhere on the line in a 4-3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Rousseau is disliked by the online draft community because he doesn't pitch the fast ball. While I don't consider him a slam-dunk top 10 player, I do think he fits comfortably in that 10-15 range. He has a rare mix or strength, length, and agility that really plays well all along the defensive line the NFL. His strength is really getting undersold--I have yet to see an offensive lineman displace him.

I have seem him get called stiff, but I don't think he's stiff at all--maybe stiff is just another word for tall? It's his agility that makes him probably the best finisher I have seen in this class. Once he gets in tackling range, he plants his foot into the grass, redirects, and lunges like a leopard for the kill.

True, the one season of production is what scares some as well, have yet to see him do it when people know about him, as a RS FR few knew about him or how good he was.  Would have loved to see what he could have done this year.  All of this could completely go away with a good workout and good solid 40 times and athletic numbers.  Will see if he gets those to prove some of that athletic ability.

 

Doubt he has a Danielle Hunter type workout with 4.57 speed, 36.5" vert and 25 reps at 225 though.  If he does could be a high 1st round pick but probably is anyway.  I would never take Paye over him, Paye in this process is getting a little overrated because of the lack of top line edge players in the draft.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

I agree with this. As someone who went from a Rousseau hater back to lover I think the biggest problem is we turn on his tape expecting a guy who will fire of the edge, bend around the tackle like Von Miller and strip sack the QB. Thats not his game. He plays with great length and damn good hands for a guy with so little experience. I dont care what he does in his rookie season give him 2 years and you got a player. I dont love him in the 3-4 as a OLB. I like him as a DE in a 3-4 or anywhere on the line in a 4-3.

Yeah I've come round on him too, big JPP vibes

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Rousseau is disliked by the online draft community because he doesn't pitch the fast ball. While I don't consider him a slam-dunk top 10 player, I do think he fits comfortably in that 10-15 range. He has a rare mix or strength, length, and agility that really plays well all along the defensive line the NFL. His strength is really getting undersold--I have yet to see an offensive lineman displace him.

I have seem him get called stiff, but I don't think he's stiff at all--maybe stiff is just another word for tall? It's his agility that makes him probably the best finisher I have seen in this class. Once he gets in tackling range, he plants his foot into the grass, redirects, and lunges like a leopard for the kill.

Stiff as in high cut or an awkward mover. He's got straight line speed but he's not fluid. Doesn't have a great first step. He finishes generally because of his length but I think his top half isn't always synced up with his bottom half. He'll bench press a guy, then stop his feet and have to lunge to make the play. I get big Terrell Lewis vibes from him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True, the one season of production is what scares some as well, have yet to see him do it when people know about him, as a RS FR few knew about him or how good he was.  Would have loved to see what he could have done this year.  All of this could completely go away with a good workout and good solid 40 times and athletic numbers.  Will see if he gets those to prove some of that athletic ability.

 

Doubt he has a Danielle Hunter type workout with 4.57 speed, 36.5" vert and 25 reps at 225 though.  If he does could be a high 1st round pick but probably is anyway.  I would never take Paye over him, Paye in this process is getting a little overrated because of the lack of top line edge players in the draft.  

And conversely one year production if closely watched could be a precursor for future success. A guy like this who had little to no refinement or technique and just played off instinct yet dominated at a high level, to me, that looks like a larger capacity to grow and get even better. 

Also, people who don't like him don't like him because he doesn't fit into a specific box, and in reality he could be a unique prospect. Lastly, some guys have power, some guys have twitch, he has length. I have 100% confidence he is training and if he comes anywhere close to 280 -285 and gets better off the ball, this guy is going to be a major problem at the next level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

And conversely one year production if closely watched could be a precursor for future success. A guy like this who had little to no refinement or technique and just played off instinct yet dominated at a high level, to me, that looks like a larger capacity to grow and get even better. 

Also, people who don't like him don't like him because he doesn't fit into a specific box, and in reality he could be a unique prospect. Lastly, some guys have power, some guys have twitch, he has length. I have 100% confidence he is training and if he comes anywhere close to 280 -285 and gets better off the ball, this guy is going to be a major problem at the next level.

If he gets to 280 or 285 that would be pretty nuts.  Wasn't he around 250-260 in college?  I think he would be better at a lower playing weight, Danielle Hunter is what 250 or 260?  He is jacked out of his mind so it does not really matter that he does not weight 285, he can dominate physically at that lower weight and I see no reason why Rousseau who is naturally more on the thin side to bulk up in terms of weight and possibly lose his speed.  Sure if he could keep his speed at that higher weight but usually that is not how it goes.  

Aaron Donald was 285 at the combine but played at a lower weight than that at Pitt, now is around what 280 in the pros with mostly muscle but is not getting heavier weight wise because he will get slower.  No one is saying he should get to 300 pounds.

Still he dominated but again it was a RS FR year and most did not know about him till late in the season, teams did not plan for him or prep for him like they would have this season if he played.  I am saying would have been nice to see if he could have handled that, but sure either way what matters for him since he sat out is how well he athletically performs.  If he runs a slow 40 time he could drop just like those top rated DEs did last year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If he gets to 280 or 285 that would be pretty nuts.  Wasn't he around 250-260 in college?  I think he would be better at a lower playing weight, Danielle Hunter is what 250 or 260?  He is jacked out of his mind so it does not really matter that he does not weight 285, he can dominate physically at that lower weight and I see no reason why Rousseau who is naturally more on the thin side to bulk up in terms of weight and possibly lose his speed.  Sure if he could keep his speed at that higher weight but usually that is not how it goes.  

Aaron Donald was 285 at the combine but played at a lower weight than that at Pitt, now is around what 280 in the pros with mostly muscle but is not getting heavier weight wise because he will get slower.  No one is saying he should get to 300 pounds.

Still he dominated but again it was a RS FR year and most did not know about him till late in the season, teams did not plan for him or prep for him like they would have this season if he played.  I am saying would have been nice to see if he could have handled that, but sure either way what matters for him since he sat out is how well he athletically performs.  If he runs a slow 40 time he could drop just like those top rated DEs did last year.  

But remember, he is 6'7 and a long 6'7 at that, Aaron Donald is like 6'1 and compact. If he played at 260 like the roster says, packing on more muscle in his legs (which are fairly small) that could get him to at least 275 IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

But remember, he is 6'7 and a long 6'7 at that, Aaron Donald is like 6'1 and compact. If he played at 260 like the roster says, packing on more muscle in his legs (which are fairly small) that could get him to at least 275 IMO.

I assume that 6-7 is an exaggeration for him and he is actually 6-6.  Danielle Hunter mind you is what 6-5 with a 83.25" wingspan, so it is not like he is short and does more than ok at a 252 pound weight.  

My guess is Rousseau will always be a thin football player and might never get to the physical strength Danielle Hunter is at currently.  Still Danielle was shredded in college, I would be shocked if Rousseau does 225 25 times in the bench like Danielle did.  Will be interesting for sure how he tests out because physically they did not look the same at all even at the college level.  Rousseau is more advanced as a pass rusher though in terms of skills and production than Hunter ever was at LSU so he has that going for him.

 

hqdefault.jpg

 

9461538.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, Scoundrel said:

Does anyone see any Aldon Smith in Rousseau or am I just blinded by the length?

Man!!! I just said the same thing. I’m just now watching film he was the first name that came to mind. I really like him top 15 pick I think he’d be a fit for what my browns need. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on the lineman after I’m finally watching guys. This is from a Browns fan perspective. 


Gregory Roseau has some Aldon Smith to his game. Long athletic but needs filing out. Pro day will be big for him. I could see Andrew liking his ceiling a lot


Jaelan Phillips would be best at linebacker he spends the majority of the time standing up I’m not sure if he has that set the edge presence you’d need opposite Myles. 
 
Azeez Ojulari is just a terror good Lord. He’s got that James Harrison to him. He’s so active. If we can get a solid starting end In FA I’d like him as a front 7 chess piece weapon. 
 
Kwity Paye has some special athletic movements and good motor. Good closing speed. Quick movements and quick hands. I think he would be a good 3 cone. Fights to get off blocks. Doesn’t give up. I like him. Looks like a solid fit as a 43 end. Not quite the upside has Roseau but a cleaner projection. 
 
Jayson Oweh
Not very impressed. Looks like a starter but not much more than a 5-8 sack a year guy tops. Best case Trey Flowers from Detroit. 
 
Joe Tryon 
Jumped off the screen. Violent and covers ground quick. I like him a lot. A number of different moves you can tell he just tries to get to the QB however he can at that moment. Good movement. I think he’s my favorite possibly so far at least for our scheme. 
 
Carlos Basham
Instantly reminds me of L. J. Collier. Strong side set the edge end but doesn’t have the special pass rush athleticism. Big and Strong. Well coached but I don’t see all pro talent. 
 
 
Joseph Assai- 34 OLB reminds me of Uchenna Nwosu on the Chargers. I’m moving on I don’t see his fit in the 43 for us where he’s going to go.  

Micah Parsons- He’d be my number 1 target. I’d trade our second rounder to move up for him. I think he’s the best defender in the draft. I see Cameron Wake. Could play SLB on run downs DE on passing downs but I’d still move him all around. He’s got enough talent if we drafted him I could honestly see him having more sacks than Myles possibly based off the attention Myles would bring and the possibilities that would free up for Micah. 
 
If I could have any player in the draft from what I’ve seen it’d be Micah. 

Edited by brownie man
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brownie man said:

Carlos Basham
Instantly reminds me of L. J. Collier. Strong side set the edge end but doesn’t have the special pass rush athleticism. Big and Strong. Well coached but I don’t see all pro talent. 

I feel like he's going to be a very solid pro. I also think he's going to do his best pass rushing work inside

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...