2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

7 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Yeah I didn’t see anyone that fit that bill either. I wanna say Rashad Weaver just because he’s not bendy, but he’s also not slippery enough to fly past interiors and he’s only about 270.

This seems like a horrible draft if you need a 5-tech. 

It's a really poor class for IDL IMO.  It's a solid EDGE class so long as you're not looking for your prototypical EDGE.

I've done my first real video scouting of these prospects, having not watched much 2020 college ball at all to be honest. So I've loaded up some of the tougher games the players had, many of them losses - just to judge them when things aren't really going their way. I went in blind, haven't read all the thread, didn't do pre-scout analysis or anything. Here's who I was most impressed with in order, and what I noticed;

Kwity Paye - Strong as an ox, didn't get pushed back much at all, swam through multiple blocks, awesome get-off on a couple snaps, doesn't look big but he's setting an edge and taking on doubles at times. 

Jaelen Phillips - Explosive, a lot of movez (the inside swim is very effective), great bend and dip and closing speed. Got beat a lot though

Greg Rousseau - looks like a dad playing with his sons! Inconsistent energy per snap; some plays he's ferocious, some he barely gets into 3rd gear (that must be annoying for a coach), when he uses his size and turns on the speed he is a handful. I'm seeing a lot of slow snaps from him though

Azeez Ojulari - Length immediately jumps out and he's disruptive with it with hands in the lanes, multiple roles (he was in coverage plenty of snaps as well), quick and long but if he couldn't beat them with these he seemed to get washed out often

Joe Tryon - Explosive, quick get off, effective long arm. Got movez, he is relentless, asked to drop as well. At times he seemed so focused on his matchup that ball carrier ran by him and/or generally lost track. Mixed bag in the run game, saw him get destroyed a couple times

Joseph Ossai - All-round athlete, good bend, powerful hands. Chases everything, seems to have high stamina. Wasn't as explosive as the above.

They're the only ones so far. And obviously its based off limited viewing. AND I'm not expert. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I've done my first real video scouting of these prospects, having not watched much 2020 college ball at all to be honest. So I've loaded up some of the tougher games the players had, many of them losses - just to judge them when things aren't really going their way. I went in blind, haven't read all the thread, didn't do pre-scout analysis or anything. Here's who I was most impressed with in order, and what I noticed;

Kwity Paye - Strong as an ox, didn't get pushed back much at all, swam through multiple blocks, awesome get-off on a couple snaps, doesn't look big but he's setting an edge and taking on doubles at times. 

Jaelen Phillips - Explosive, a lot of movez (the inside swim is very effective), great bend and dip and closing speed. Got beat a lot though

Greg Rousseau - looks like a dad playing with his sons! Inconsistent energy per snap; some plays he's ferocious, some he barely gets into 3rd gear (that must be annoying for a coach), when he uses his size and turns on the speed he is a handful. I'm seeing a lot of slow snaps from him though

Azeez Ojulari - Length immediately jumps out and he's disruptive with it with hands in the lanes, multiple roles (he was in coverage plenty of snaps as well), quick and long but if he couldn't beat them with these he seemed to get washed out often

Joe Tryon - Explosive, quick get off, effective long arm. Got movez, he is relentless, asked to drop as well. At times he seemed so focused on his matchup that ball carrier ran by him and/or generally lost track. Mixed bag in the run game, saw him get destroyed a couple times

Joseph Ossai - All-round athlete, good bend, powerful hands. Chases everything, seems to have high stamina. Wasn't as explosive as the above.

They're the only ones so far. And obviously its based off limited viewing. AND I'm not expert. 

Your take on: 

Boogie Basham 

Jayson Oweh

Chris Rumph II

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Your take on: 

Boogie Basham 

Jayson Oweh

Chris Rumph II

Again, gone in cold, and only limited viewing so take it with pinch....

Kwity Paye - Strong as an ox, didn't get pushed back much at all, swam through multiple blocks, awesome get-off on a couple snaps, doesn't look big but he's setting an edge and taking on doubles at times. 

Jaelen Phillips - Explosive, a lot of movez (the inside swim is very effective), great bend and dip and closing speed. Got beat a lot though

Greg Rousseau - looks like a dad playing with his sons! Inconsistent energy per snap; some plays he's ferocious, some he barely gets into 3rd gear (that must be annoying for a coach), when he uses his size and turns on the speed he is a handful. I'm seeing a lot of slow snaps from him though

Azeez Ojulari - Length immediately jumps out and he's disruptive with it with hands in the lanes, multiple roles (he was in coverage plenty of snaps as well), quick and long but if he couldn't beat them with these he seemed to get washed out often

Carlos Basham - Angles immediately spring to mind, he seems to be patient in run game and attacks angles in the interior to break through to the backfield. Another one that looks strong as an ox. Power in punch. Was out of position on a few plays and got ushered out the play after he was committed. Strength over explosivity so far

Joe Tryon - Explosive, quick get off, effective long arm. Got movez, he is relentless, asked to drop as well. At times he seemed so focused on his matchup that ball carrier ran by him and/or generally lost track. Mixed bag in the run game, saw him get destroyed a couple times

Jayson Oweh - This is a fun watch! Looks twitchy and explosive and doesn't stop. I bet he's annoying to play against. I love how he plays low, but he's getting pushed about a lot in what I'm watching. Probably on the smaller side? But I'm loving his explosivity. I'm assuming he'll start as situational pass rush only 

Joseph Ossai - All-round athlete, good bend, powerful hands. Chases everything, seems to have high stamina. Wasn't as explosive as the above.

*Chris Rumph - I'm watching the Miami tape and he's on the floor a lot. Tight End locked him up too. But then he ran down a RB from behind, used his (what looks like) ridiculously long arms to push a guard back into the RB on next play. Im liking that he's on delayed interior blitzes - and these look effective. Yeah he's not getting much joy against the tackles but these delayed blitzes from stand up are really working well. Not sure where to rank actually....tough one. I'm intrigued.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2021 at 11:42 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Again, gone in cold, and only limited viewing so take it with pinch....

Kwity Paye - Strong as an ox, didn't get pushed back much at all, swam through multiple blocks, awesome get-off on a couple snaps, doesn't look big but he's setting an edge and taking on doubles at times. 

Jaelen Phillips - Explosive, a lot of movez (the inside swim is very effective), great bend and dip and closing speed. Got beat a lot though

Greg Rousseau - looks like a dad playing with his sons! Inconsistent energy per snap; some plays he's ferocious, some he barely gets into 3rd gear (that must be annoying for a coach), when he uses his size and turns on the speed he is a handful. I'm seeing a lot of slow snaps from him though

Azeez Ojulari - Length immediately jumps out and he's disruptive with it with hands in the lanes, multiple roles (he was in coverage plenty of snaps as well), quick and long but if he couldn't beat them with these he seemed to get washed out often

Carlos Basham - Angles immediately spring to mind, he seems to be patient in run game and attacks angles in the interior to break through to the backfield. Another one that looks strong as an ox. Power in punch. Was out of position on a few plays and got ushered out the play after he was committed. Strength over explosivity so far

Joe Tryon - Explosive, quick get off, effective long arm. Got movez, he is relentless, asked to drop as well. At times he seemed so focused on his matchup that ball carrier ran by him and/or generally lost track. Mixed bag in the run game, saw him get destroyed a couple times

Jayson Oweh - This is a fun watch! Looks twitchy and explosive and doesn't stop. I bet he's annoying to play against. I love how he plays low, but he's getting pushed about a lot in what I'm watching. Probably on the smaller side? But I'm loving his explosivity. I'm assuming he'll start as situational pass rush only 

Joseph Ossai - All-round athlete, good bend, powerful hands. Chases everything, seems to have high stamina. Wasn't as explosive as the above.

*Chris Rumph - I'm watching the Miami tape and he's on the floor a lot. Tight End locked him up too. But then he ran down a RB from behind, used his (what looks like) ridiculously long arms to push a guard back into the RB on next play. Im liking that he's on delayed interior blitzes - and these look effective. Yeah he's not getting much joy against the tackles but these delayed blitzes from stand up are really working well. Not sure where to rank actually....tough one. I'm intrigued.

agree with your first 2

i just dont see it at all with Rousseau, all his tape is, is easy sacks , not too many good rush moves, closing speed is good but idk seems like alot of cheap sacks to me

i also dont like Tryon imo he doesnt wow on tape

i personally rank them

Kwity Paye

Jaelen Philips

Joseph Ossai

Azeez Ojulari

Carlos Basham

Ronnie Perkins

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

Emory Hunt made a comparison on yesterday's Ross Tucker NFL Draft podcast of Joe Tryon to Montez Sweat as a player type....agree/disagree?

I saw Sweat vs Phillips testing numbers, they were real close, if anyone wants to dig them up.