2021 Edge Prospects

8 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Azeez Ojulari seemed like the kind of prospect that would be a top-5 pick had he went back to Georgia and had a huge year.  He’s still 20.

Or he's Leonard Floyd all over again...

1 minute ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Cause he went to UGA? Different coaching staffs, used differently than Leonard was...

I was speaking more in terms of projections.  The reoccurring theme with Floyd was that he would grow into being a pass rusher, and he never did.  He was always that hybrid off-ball LB/EDGE, but never really developed into an EDGE.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was speaking more in terms of projections.  The reoccurring theme with Floyd was that he would grow into being a pass rusher, and he never did.  He was always that hybrid off-ball LB/EDGE, but never really developed into an EDGE.

This is interesting, Floyd had 10.5 sacks last season and it was enough to earn him a 64M extension. I'm guessing you are talking about being a true hard edge setting EDGE player and I get that, but he is still a very good player in the Rams scheme. Pro Bowler no, but still a very good player. IMO  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Floyd turned 24 September 8th of his rookie season. So everyone talking about he would still develop, he was already 24 when the regular season started. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

i feel like less projection is needed with Ojulari though. he's bigger than Floyd was in college (heck, right now Floyd's listed NFL weight is 240, while Azees was up to 249 at his pro day) more productive, shows more play strength than Floyd did, and has some big time rush moves that should be able to translate.

Floyd was 23 when he was drafted, Azeez is still 20.

4 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i feel like less projection is needed with Ojulari though. he's bigger than Floyd was in college (heck, right now Floyd's listed NFL weight is 240, while Azees was up to 249 at his pro day) more productive, shows more play strength than Floyd did, and has some big time rush moves that should be able to translate.

He does? Everything I’ve seen, if Azeez doesn’t win with speed it’s over.  Don’t get me wrong, explosive speed is a very nice start, but he has work to do on his counter moves. 

7 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

He does? Everything I’ve seen, if Azeez doesn’t win with speed it’s over.  Don’t get me wrong, explosive speed is a very nice start, but he has work to do on his counter moves. 

its not just speed/bend with him, though, he has a good long-arm stab, and he's shown the Ngakoue jump/double chop move.

Edited by Turnobili
11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Or he's Leonard Floyd all over again...

I doubt it, frankly. Ojulari seems like a boom/bust guy. He'll either be a really good pass rusher or a guy who bombs. He kind of reminds me of Harold Landry. Floyd, while not a great pass rusher, is a good all-around player. He is a great edge setter in the running game, covers extremely well for his size, and is a decent pass rusher.

6 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I don't remember college Floyd, but play strength definitely isn't an issue for Floyd in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I'm with you on that. One trick pony. There's potential for more, but he's a finesse guy right now.

Ojulari is not a one trick pony. Where is that narrative is coming from?

He can set the edge pretty well. He can drop, manuever in space and cover. With his motor he's productive even if he's not hitting home on his rush. And he'll almost certainly get stronger.

He's versatile enough to line up at any LB spot and at DE.

I think his pass rush is a little overrated but he's valuable because he's shown that versatility.

33 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

From watching him rush the passer. Nobody was talking about coverage or setting the edge. He's a finesse guy who relies on winning the arc.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

He can set the edge pretty well. He can drop, manuever in space and cover. With his motor he's productive even if he's not hitting home on his rush. And he'll almost certainly get stronger.

He's versatile enough to line up at any LB spot and at DE.

I think his pass rush is a little overrated but he's valuable because he's shown that versatility.

He's definitely a one trick pony from a pass rush perspective. If he can't get a tackle's outside arm off of him on his arc, he's stuck without a paddle. He has no counters, no bull rush, and he's not explosive enough out of his stance to beat guys with pure speed. Watch against Stone Forsythe (Kyle Trask cut up).

I think he sets the edge just fine. He's strong for his size. I think his drop is fine. To me, he's a good starting edge, but he's not going to define a defensive front.

• Like 1