2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

I've not looked at everyone yet, and I don't have any strong feelings until after the combine.

1. I like Paye. He's a grown man. He'll be plus against the run and good but not great against the pass. He may be a LDE. But not in a bad way. Pick 10 to 15.

2. The Georgia kid has one pass move, but he's real good at it. At his level you have to think the coaches want him to just do his long arm and rip thing and nothing else. Otherwise he would show more moves. What will happen at the next level? That is what makes the draft fun. No guarantees but I expect him to be the best pass rusher in the class.

3. Don't like the Miami kids. Rousseau strikes me as a tackle in an end's body, but not in a good way. I will keep watching Phillips until I can slot him, but I've watched enough that I should be able to slot him, and that's not a good sign. Still, I may become a fan by April. We will see.

4. I want to see Dayo at the Senior Bowl. I like Ossai's motor but dunno if he has pro-level "it." I will let you know about Basham and Jones.

5. I might like Toney. Still thinking.

21 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Since when has 265 been "thin" for a college DE, especially when most of them go for around 250-255? And good, I hope more people like you talk down on him and he slides all the way to #23. Its safe to call him a tweener, which doesn't mean its a bad thing, what you see what he did at UM playing both DE/DT is what smart DCs will do with him at the next level, put him in the best matchups and have him dominate those weak link linemen.

I get it with most guys, they are more comfortable with guys who fit normal dimensions, whenever guys come out that are awkward or don't have the normal description of what a normal prospect would normally look like people tend to get uncomfortable and safe, which is fine. I for one have zero issues taking a guy like him that have that type of length and athleticism, this means, it takes way less time to get to where he has to get to, especially when he gets a good get off. I could only imagine the type of damage he could do opposite of Myles Garrett on base downs, and inside on 3rd downs isolated against a guard.

But listen, I get it, its the season to tear these guys down and nitpick, but the obvious is right in front of you.

Did you even watch him play or just go off the box score and height/weight on the UM website? I am not going off the number that his program has listed for him (which is often not accurate at all). I am going based off what my eyes show me, he is very thin in the lower body. You don't see him driving blockers off the LOS with natural power. He also doesn't have pass rush moves outside of a two hand swipe. He's easily blocked on most players and isn't an impactful player in the run game. Classic case of sack numbers not reflecting his actual ability. 15.5 career sacks and half of them came in a two-week span, one game against an FSU team that had the worst o-line in the country where he basically got to the QB untouched 4 times.

Where is his hand fighting at the point of engagement? Where is the short area quickness? Where are the second moves to beat his blocker when his one and only move doesn't work? None of that shows up on tape and I don't see how his game translates to the pros. That will all get exposed in the NFL. Also not sure what good ball get off you're referring to, he's usually one of the last guys off due to his length. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Did you even watch him play or just go off the box score and height/weight on the UM website? I am not going off the number that his program has listed for him (which is often not accurate at all). I am going based off what my eyes show me, he is very thin in the lower body. You don't see him driving blockers off the LOS with natural power. He also doesn't have pass rush moves outside of a two hand swipe. He's easily blocked on most players and isn't an impactful player in the run game. Classic case of sack numbers not reflecting his actual ability. 15.5 career sacks and half of them came in a two-week span, one game against an FSU team that had the worst o-line in the country where he basically got to the QB untouched 4 times.

Where is his hand fighting at the point of engagement? Where is the short area quickness? Where are the second moves to beat his blocker when his one and only move doesn't work? None of that shows up on tape and I don't see how his game translates to the pros. That will all get exposed in the NFL. Also not sure what good ball get off you're referring to, he's usually one of the last guys off due to his length. 

As if he wasn't a freshman, as if he doesn't have massive room for growth with higher level coaching. Its apparent that you have an agenda against him, thats fine.

sure thing cool story bro GIF by Captain Obvious

Edited by MSURacerDT55

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

As if he wasn't a freshman, as if he doesn't have massive room for growth with higher level coaching.

If raw inexperienced prospects with subpar short area quickness/explosiveness and almost zero hip bend are your thing, do you man. Would love to see those physical traits get coached out of him... If I were a decision maker in college scouting, I personally wouldn't risk my job on spending a 1st rounder on a project like that. I would need to see more than what he puts on tape. For as athletic as you claim him to be, I don't really see elite traits for a pass rusher outside of his frame. I see a good, not great athlete that has a hard time changing direction and seems to lack natural bend. For comparison's sake, I was way more impressed with a guy who's built similarly to Rousseau in Montez Sweat and what he was able to do with his frame & physical features than what I'm seeing out of Rousseau himself. 

On 1/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, jetjuice said:

If raw inexperienced prospects with subpar short area quickness/explosiveness and almost zero hip bend are your thing, do you man. Would love to see those physical traits get coached out of him... If I were a decision maker in college scouting, I personally wouldn't risk my job on spending a 1st rounder on a project like that. I would need to see more than what he puts on tape. For as athletic as you claim him to be, I don't really see elite traits for a pass rusher outside of his frame. I see a good, not great athlete that has a hard time changing direction and seems to lack natural bend. For comparison's sake, I was way more impressed with a guy who's built similarly to Rousseau in Montez Sweat and what he was able to do with his frame & physical features than what I'm seeing out of Rousseau himself. 

It took Sweat awhile to develop in college, as a freshman he was nothing amazing and physically looked a lot like Rousseau.  If Rousseau puts up the physical testing numbers Sweat had he will be fine because it shows he has some upside based on his athletic traits.  If he times out poorly if could hurt his stock because of his lack of play this season.  What he has been doing this entire time I do not know, hopefully working on his athletic skills, but he was clearly a top end if not the top DE in the class before this season started.  Not sure anyone has played their way ahead of him as a 4/3 DE.  His combine will matter a lot in how most view him though.  

Sure he played great against an awful FSU OL, but it is not like he was awful against a good Virginia team, Florida team, UNC team, Virginia Tech team, Pitt team.  He had sacks in every one of those games and three sacks in the Pitt game.  And yeah he was a RS FR that season, one would assume progression and physical development obviously from what he was at that point.  

I would be surprised if he is not the first 4/3 DE taken, is probably not worth a top 10 pick though since he did not play this year.  I imagine he would have been amazing and probably played on the inside like he did as a RS FR with Roche and Phillips on the outside, they would have been a terror.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Who are the best pass-rushers in this years draft? Any good ones project to be around the middle 1st? Of course combines change a lot but curious if there's some good fits for Vegas.

So have they given up on Nassib already, and Ferrell for that matter.  Key has been a disappointment and Crosby is the one who has done well.  That DT group is not great either so I assume that is on the table as well.  They also have some LB problems as well.  If Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah fell to them I think they should take him, especially since he can get after the QB when asked also.  

Christian Barmore makes a lot of sense if he is there.  On the DE Basham and Patrick Jones are good but would be better if they were selected in the 2nd round and that could happen.  Not sure any DE is worth that high of a 1st round selection outside of Rousseau if he works out well.  Same with Roche, Phillips and Rumph would be solid 2nd rounders if they fall but a reach if taken that high in the 1st.  Paye could be a 1st round pick but is not a great pass rusher though but is technically sound.  Twyman might fall to the 2nd and be a steal, same with Marvin Wilson or Jay Tufele at DT.  One of the more interesting pass rushers is Azeez Ojulari but he is best in a 3/4 defense not a 4/3.

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So have they given up on Nassib already, and Ferrell for that matter.  Key has been a disappointment and Crosby is the one who has done well.  That DT group is not great either so I assume that is on the table as well.  They also have some LB problems as well.  If Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah fell to them I think they should take him, especially since he can get after the QB when asked also

Its strange, we seem to have a bunch of high effort guys who are pretty decent but are basically guys who get clean up and second effort sacks but they've been playing in a very vanilla, base 4 man rush with little blitzing or innovation and they really lack the prescence of a top pass rusher to provide them with opportunities if that makes sense. Ferrell I feel has improved and looks ok, good against the run and better as a rusher, Crosby is high energy and awkward but can get fooled easily, Key is a nearly guy that just cant get it together and Nassib I dont feel has been bad (though vastly overpaid) but we dont have that player like a Mack that will create for them and they're not the types that create too much themselves so we're stuck being very mundane. A true pass rushing DT would make everyone look so much better IMO. We need the catalyst this offseason.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:15 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

-Just want to reiterate how much of a fan I am of Chris Rumph II (Although he is built like a high school player playing major college football)

-Its going to be fun revisiting the Rousseau chatter....

I loved Chris Rumph's film. Versatile, smart, great instincts, and very disruptive as a pass rusher. Dude gave it to the BC OL, and that OL is chalk full of NFL talent. I also quite like what I've seen from Joe Tryon. Has the potential to have a complete game as a pass rusher. Needs some work as a run defender, but the tools aren't lacking there either.