2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

I'm gonna say it.  I don't see it with Carlos Basham.

He's a grown *** man, but I don't see many elite talents, other than physical dominance.

Kwity Paye is great.  Reminds me of Marlon Davidson, but with better length and way better ability to read and react.  I wonder if he can play 3-4 DE.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

He's a grown *** man, but I don't see many elite talents, other than physical dominance.

Basham is a classic strong side end.  He'll probably never rack up huge sack numbers, but he'll be good against the run and have 5-8 sacks every year with maybe a couple top years of double digit sacks.

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

Kwity Paye is great.  Reminds me of Marlon Davidson, but with better length and way better ability to read and react.  I wonder if he can play 3-4 DE.

Elite talents meaning? What? Technique? Bend? I'm not sure you what you mean, but from my perspective he definitely has really good technique, really good pass rushing instinct, and is a lot more explosive than people give him credit for. Also, he has position versatility which is critical, and I disagree that he wont put up numbers because if you match him up inside on pass rushing downs, he could be good for 4 sacks off that alone in addition to his normal outside responsibilities.

I think he compares favorably to Bradley Chubb/Emmanuel Ogbah

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Elite talents meaning? What? Technique? Bend? I'm not sure you what you mean, but from my perspective he definitely has really good technique, really good pass rushing instinct, and is a lot more explosive than people give him credit for. Also, he has position versatility which is critical, and I disagree that he wont put up numbers because if you match him up inside on pass rushing downs, he could be good for 4 sacks off that alone in addition to his normal outside responsibilities.

Mostly these two.  Granted, I've only seen limited game tape on any prospect, but from what I watch, he just charges through whoever his blocker is and wins by being bigger/stronger/faster than whoever he's against.  Not very quick either.

Senior Bowl tape, he looks like a different player.  Swims right over everyone.  I'm just wondering why I don't see that in his game tape.  I've still got him rated highly, but I'm not sold on him as more than a fringe first rounder, and I'm getting bearish on that as I look more closely at other guys in this class.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Mostly these two.  Granted, I've only seen limited game tape on any prospect, but from what I watch, he just charges through whoever his blocker is and wins by being bigger/stronger/faster than whoever he's against.  Not very quick either.

Senior Bowl tape, he looks like a different player.  Swims right over everyone.  I'm just wondering why I don't see that in his game tape.  I've still got him rated highly, but I'm not sold on him as more than a fringe first rounder, and I'm getting bearish on that as I look more closely at other guys in this class.

The swims were there on film in the regular season, you just have to watch

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Basham is a classic strong side end.  He'll probably never rack up huge sack numbers, but he'll be good against the run and have 5-8 sacks every year with maybe a couple top years of double digit sacks.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Bashem's thick/chubby frame suggests he's a power/ strong side guy but he's anything but. He gets wrecked by good physicality. Watch Jackson Carman devastate him in their matchup or Grambing's David Moore actually send him backwards in those 1 on 1's. He's a pass rush first guy that I wouldn't trust to do anything else right now.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:49 PM, MagicMT said:

Patrick Jones had such a bad week. He offered nothing on the 1 vs 1. 
What happened with him? 
I had him as a first rounder but I wouldn't draft him there after that showing

He's got speed and is powerful in a straight line, but the hands and agility isn't there.

16 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Bashem's thick/chubby frame suggests he's a power/ strong side guy but he's anything but. He gets wrecked by good physicality. Watch Jackson Carman devastate him in their matchup or Grambing's David Moore actually send him backwards in those 1 on 1's. He's a pass rush first guy that I wouldn't trust to do anything else right now.

-??? So based off of two reps you come to this conclusion? And forget all of the other times he dominated?  Uh.....ok....

- Do you realize that he had a sack in 2 out of the three years they played?

16 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Thoughts on Ronnie Perkins?

- Really good footall player, really good football I.Q, outstanding motor/effort

- Not really excited by his athleticism for a guy who looks about 6'2 245 on the field, also a major thing I noticed was how tight he was coming around the edge 

42 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- Really good footall player, really good football I.Q, outstanding motor/effort

- Not really excited by his athleticism for a guy who looks about 6'2 245 on the field, also a major thing I noticed was how tight he was coming around the edge 

Yeah, that's kind of what I've seen - need to see more. Real savvy and instinctive player, with no bend or flexibility. Reminded me a bit of Rob Ninkovich. 

8 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-??? So based off of two reps you come to this conclusion? And forget all of the other times he dominated?  Uh.....ok....

- Do you realize that he had a sack in 2 out of the three years they played?

He had decent senior practices. He's a big, fluid mover with some handwork that can finish when he's got a path. But he doesn't want to tussle and gets canceled by power. It shows up regularly on his tape. Those practice 1 on 1's are slanted for the defender...when's the last time you saw an edge go backwards at the snap?