2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

I'm starting to think that Joe Tryon might be my favorite 3-4 Edge in this class, assuming he hasn't gotten rusty, or stalled his development.  Dude is strong, and he moves well in space.  I wish I knew more about what these guys that didn't play in 2020 have done to improve.

What are yall's opinions of Cam Sample?  He looked great in the Senior Bowl 1 on 1s and the game, but I can't find any Tulane game tape to watch, and he had shockingly little production.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Am I the only one that hopes Joe Tryon stays under the radar so he can be a super value in the 2nd round? That whole Washington defense last season was loaded 

There is going to be some real value with edge players in rounds 2 and 3. It's a deep class full of incomplete prospects. 

30 minutes ago, TJM217 said:

What are your guys opinions on Ronnie Perkins in a 3-4? It seems like everywhere I read they mention him as a 4-3DE and some suggest he is scheme limited. 

A lot of that stuff is overblown when you look at how versatile schemes now. I mean, I wouldn't want him dropping into coverage a lot. I love Perkins though, he's a beast.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

A lot of that stuff is overblown when you look at how versatile schemes now. I mean, I wouldn't want him dropping into coverage a lot. I love Perkins though, he's a beast.

I have him as a late first and someone corrected me and quoted and changed my post to late day 3 or something ridiculous. 

37 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Thanks for this! He definitely makes some of the best looking plays. Strong arms guys bigger than him. He doesn't seem like a bendy guy but he wins with good hands and burst. I thought I was missing something with what other scouting reports have been saying. 

1 hour ago, TJM217 said:

What are your guys opinions on Ronnie Perkins in a 3-4? It seems like everywhere I read they mention him as a 4-3DE and some suggest he is scheme limited. 

I see nothing that makes him only a 4-3 DE.  I agree with Goldfish on scheme versatility, the only times I think a guy is limited is only when he's too small and weak to hold up on the edge (like Chris Rumph, maybe to a lesser degree Quincey Roche).  On the opposite end, if they're just too big and not quick enough, or just rely on strength without good enough bend/speed/coverage ability, they're a 4-3 DE (Carlos Basham).  But even then, you can try to develop a guy's strength and get them to add weight, or learn moves and cut weight and that gets you where you need to be.

Mostly, I think people look at a skillset and think someone is a much better fit in one scheme than the other, so if your scheme doesn't match up, then you're just overdrafting the guy.  Basham as a 3-4 edge is like a 3rd rounder because he doesn't have that skillset yet, so he'd be a developmental/upside guy, but if you have room for him to play DE in both 3 and 4 fronts, he's a late first.

You could play him at 3-4 Edge, but it'd be a dumb use of his talent.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1