2021 Edge Prospects

Scoundrel

9 hours ago, coachjblair said:

I love his talent but that six games suspension scares me. If he can stay on the field think he could be a very good third round draft pick

And Riley is VERY tightlipped on most suspensions...so it's tough to know exactly why he was suspended. Rumors were all we got here in Sooner land. 

11 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

A lot of that stuff is overblown when you look at how versatile schemes now. I mean, I wouldn't want him dropping into coverage a lot. I love Perkins though, he's a beast.

Seems like Carl Lawson to me. And Lawson is somewhat scheme limited. You'd have to really go out of your way to make him fit in a 3-4.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, jrry32 said:

Seems like Carl Lawson to me. And Lawson is somewhat scheme limited. You'd have to really go out of your way to make him fit in a 3-4.

I was much higher on Lawson. He was much stouter against the run and had a more nuanced set of pass rush moves. Then again, I was very high on Lawson. 

On 2/19/2021 at 7:46 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Am I the only one that hopes Joe Tryon stays under the radar so he can be a super value in the 2nd round? That whole Washington defense last season was loaded 

He is a standout 3/4 OLB type, had a great season in 2019 and in a some what weak class of top end 3/4 OLBs Tryon is arguably the 2nd best in the group of 3/4 backers at getting after the QB.  Might not have the upside that Azeez has but is a fine player.

Yeah Washington is a loaded defense but obviously their two best players sat out and did not play, would have been amazing if they were all on the same unit Tryon and Levi Onwuzurike with Molden, Ulofoshio, Keith Taylor, McDuffie, Tupuola-Fetui and Turner.  

I'm digging Quincy Roche in a 3-4. He's a little undersized, but he has legit cover skills and could be an impact pass rusher. His sack numbers dropped with Miami, but the reality was that he was maybe a half step to a step from having double digit sacks.

The run defense can be hit and miss. He's splashy and has the speed to chase plays down, but he has to be more consistent with his leverage. When he plays with it, he's stout enough to defend his gap. When he doesn't, he gets worked. I also noted that he could be slow to process things and find the football at times as a run defender.

As a pass rusher, he's significantly more effective out of a two-point stance. He's much more explosive off the LOS. He has a diverse set of pass rush moves and has a good plan of attack for a college player. He recognizes when OTs start to cheat to take away the edge and will beat them inside with his twitch, quickness, and a swipe or club. His go-to move when attacking the corner is a club-rip combo. It's highly effective because of his timing and quick, powerful hands. But I've also seen him flash a long arm to soften the edge and some speed-to-power rushes. He has the flexibility to get under the OT as he corners and then flatten to the QB. He'll need to diversify his approach further in the NFL and add some more variety to his moveset if he wants to be elite, but he's way ahead of the vast majority of prospects in this regard coming out of college.

He reminds me of the current version of Shaq Barrett. It took Barrett time to develop his pass rush moves and plans and diversify his repertoire. Roche is way ahead of Barrett the prospect in that regard. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm digging Quincy Roche in a 3-4. He's a little undersized, but he has legit cover skills and could be an impact pass rusher. His sack numbers dropped with Miami, but the reality was that he was maybe a half step to a step from having double digit sacks.

The run defense can be hit and miss. He's splashy and has the speed to chase plays down, but he has to be more consistent with his leverage. When he plays with it, he's stout enough to defend his gap. When he doesn't, he gets worked. I also noted that he could be slow to process things and find the football at times as a run defender.

As a pass rusher, he's significantly more effective out of a two-point stance. He's much more explosive off the LOS. He has a diverse set of pass rush moves and has a good plan of attack for a college player. He recognizes when OTs start to cheat to take away the edge and will beat them inside with his twitch, quickness, and a swipe or club. His go-to move when attacking the corner is a club-rip combo. It's highly effective because of his timing and quick, powerful hands. But I've also seen him flash a long arm to soften the edge and some speed-to-power rushes. He has the flexibility to get under the OT as he corners and then flatten to the QB. He'll need to diversify his approach further in the NFL and add some more variety to his moveset if he wants to be elite, but he's way ahead of the vast majority of prospects in this regard coming out of college.

He reminds me of the current version of Shaq Barrett. It took Barrett time to develop his pass rush moves and plans and diversify his repertoire. Roche is way ahead of Barrett the prospect in that regard. 

Roche is really interesting. He’s got great speed and actually had a diverse set of pass rush moves, but he doesn’t have play strength at all and is lazy. His hustle to the football is downright disrespectful sometimes. But the dude can bend an edge and win with finesse all day. He’s got a great skill set. All of the Miami DE’s are really good. Roche drives me nuts because of his lazy approach, but there’s no questioning his toolbox. He could be really good down the line, but could also be out of the league in a few years. I’m surprised he doesn’t get more love, because he’s a great athlete with good production. But there really is a lot of growing up that he needs to undergo. 

30 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

Roche is really interesting. He’s got great speed and actually had a diverse set of pass rush moves, but he doesn’t have play strength at all and is lazy. His hustle to the football is downright disrespectful sometimes. But the dude can bend an edge and win with finesse all day. He’s got a great skill set. All of the Miami DE’s are really good. Roche drives me nuts because of his lazy approach, but there’s no questioning his toolbox. He could be really good down the line, but could also be out of the league in a few years. I’m surprised he doesn’t get more love, because he’s a great athlete with good production. But there really is a lot of growing up that he needs to undergo. 

I can't fully agree with the bold. His play strength for his size is good. I've seen him put OTs on skates. And he can set the edge when he maintains leverage. But yeah, there are certainly plays where he gets blown off the ball when he's not technically sound. He's going to have be consistent with his technique in the NFL if he's not going to be a liability as a run defender. I also wouldn't go as far as calling him lazy. His motor is definitely hot and cold. There are times when he doggedly pursues plays from behind. There are other times when he coasts and jogs around. It's frustrating, but it's not so bad that it would cause me to significantly downgrade him.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I can't fully agree with the bold. His play strength for his size is good. I've seen him put OTs on skates. And he can set the edge when he maintains leverage. But yeah, there are certainly plays where he gets blown off the ball when he's not technically sound. He's going to have be consistent with his technique in the NFL if he's not going to be a liability as a run defender. I also wouldn't go as far as calling him lazy. His motor is definitely hot and cold. There are times when he doggedly pursues plays from behind. There are other times when he coasts and jogs around. It's frustrating, but it's not so bad that it would cause me to significantly downgrade him.

I just get annoyed when my guys (Canes) play so unenthusiastic. In the games where they got stomped this year (last two), you saw the character in the defensive guys. Phillips still played hard. Most of the other guys just shut down. Bubba Bolden included. It was soul-draining to watch a Miami defense play uninspired. Even when we sucked worse, they didn’t play so lazy. I know laziness can be fixed (ie Chris Jones), but it still scares the F outta me. 

• Like 1

Spent an hour watching Rousseau clips this morning. Why in the eff is he not considered a top 10 pick? Just because he didn’t play this year? The dude is oozing with potential, has a great frame, and most importantly, was hella productive. Plays with his hands, bats balls, wins from inside & out, is capable of twisting/stunting into a new gap in pretty much 1 step, doesn’t sacrifice gap contain to rush the passer.....as a defensive coach, he does the little things that make me think he’s going to be elite. 

Also watched Ronnie Perkins. He’s impressive from a motor perspective and as a guy with a great rip move, but he doesn’t play with his hands and does not set a physical edge. He thinks everything is a pass and he can be found 4 yards into the backfield a split second into most plays. He also gets engulfed by big boy tackles when his first rip is caught. I don’t like him as a base 4-3 guy and really didn’t like him much for any scheme. He’s just...meh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

Spent an hour watching Rousseau clips this morning. Why in the eff is he not considered a top 10 pick? Just because he didn’t play this year? The dude is oozing with potential, has a great frame, and most importantly, was hella productive. Plays with his hands, bats balls, wins from inside & out, is capable of twisting/stunting into a new gap in pretty much 1 step, doesn’t sacrifice gap contain to rush the passer.....as a defensive coach, he does the little things that make me think he’s going to be elite. 

Also watched Ronnie Perkins. He’s impressive from a motor perspective and as a guy with a great rip move, but he doesn’t play with his hands and does not set a physical edge. He thinks everything is a pass and he can be found 4 yards into the backfield a split second into most plays. He also gets engulfed by big boy tackles when his first rip is caught. I don’t like him as a base 4-3 guy and really didn’t like him much for any scheme. He’s just...meh. 

Rousseau is disliked by the online draft community because he doesn't pitch the fast ball. While I don't consider him a slam-dunk top 10 player, I do think he fits comfortably in that 10-15 range. He has a rare mix or strength, length, and agility that really plays well all along the defensive line the NFL. His strength is really getting undersold--I have yet to see an offensive lineman displace him.

I have seem him get called stiff, but I don't think he's stiff at all--maybe stiff is just another word for tall? It's his agility that makes him probably the best finisher I have seen in this class. Once he gets in tackling range, he plants his foot into the grass, redirects, and lunges like a leopard for the kill.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Rousseau is disliked by the online draft community because he doesn't pitch the fast ball. While I don't consider him a slam-dunk top 10 player, I do think he fits comfortably in that 10-15 range. He has a rare mix or strength, length, and agility that really plays well all along the defensive line the NFL. His strength is really getting undersold--I have yet to see an offensive lineman displace him.

I have seem him get called stiff, but I don't think he's stiff at all--maybe stiff is just another word for tall? It's his agility that makes him probably the best finisher I have seen in this class. Once he gets in tackling range, he plants his foot into the grass, redirects, and lunges like a leopard for the kill.

Agree with pretty much all of this. He’s rock solid when engaging with OL. And he’s got finesse pass rush moves. I don’t think he can drop into coverage very often, but people are acting like he’s AJ Epenesa. Rousseau is extremely slippery and quick. He’s a nightmare on stunts and was at his absolute best lined up in a 0-1 Tech and slanting into the B-Gaps. And he did it with 1 step and simply embarrassed every interior OL he went against. He’s got more than enough wiggle to be a great pass rusher—inside and out. I just doubt 3-4 teams will envision him playing in space. 

• Like 1