Week 6 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Washington Redskins

J-ALL-DAY

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I guess Lynch takes his spot? Thomas gets to rush more from the inside something that should have happened from day one. 

Another year gone. Out of position. Can't stay on the field. Production is meh (efficiency was good in prior 2 years but small sample sizes). This pick at this point is a bust for us. We need to move him, acquire what we can, and move on. He should still have some value around the league. 

14 minutes ago, N4L said:

Yeah, it does look like at a minimum, CJ will be a solid backup QB. Say what you want about his physical abilities, but the guy is a gamer. I want a gamer as my backup. Someone who will come in grind out tough games. 

Ill be the first to say it, we are going to win next week. No Zeke and the cowboys locker room going through a little turmoil. I expect this game to be our first complete game from start to finish

Certainly not going to say that after one game of Beathard,  though I thought he handled himself okay. Not the easiest situation to come into and handle.  Got lucky quite a few times though. I was okay with what I saw for the most part, looking forward to seeing him play more. 

Definitely not prognosticating a win for us. Cowboys are used to turmoil, so I don't know how that is really that big of a deal, and I think that is highly overblown. I mean, the Dolphins were going through some crazy stuff this week, on the road, and they still beat a decent team in Atlanta. Dallas still has a lot of playmakers on offense, and our is hurting right now. I don't trust our offense to take advantage of a lackluster overall defense, and if Staley is on Lawrence, I have some concerns. I'm hoping he lines up on Brown a little more often. That's going to be a fun matchup to watch if that's what happens. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Another year gone. Out of position. Can't stay on the field. Production is meh (efficiency was good in prior 2 years but small sample sizes). This pick at this point is a bust for us. We need to move him, acquire what we can, and move on. He should still have some value around the league. 

I see this very differently, I like Armstead. He's a puppy and his potential is really insane, not far from Buckner's. I remember in high school he was NorCal's top offensive tackle recruit and one of the best basketball players too he just hasn't had enough time working on his craft, playing a new position this year. Still only 23 years old, thats younger than guys we've seen come out the draft in recent years at DE. On the field his performance has been very average with occasional plays that highlight his skillset as a 6'8" 280lb freak. Injuries are his biggest flaw right now but a broken hand isnt something I expect to become an issue long term. The shoulder he had repaired this offseason seems to be holding up fine, and his athleticism seems to be only getting better as his body leans out. I see Armstead as one of those guys we're able to sign to a contract this offseason at a very team friendly number that 2-3 years from now can prove to be very key. 

Sure we can trade him for some assets to add to our what 20 draft picks we are expected to have the next 2 years? But giving up on developing a guy with his potential is lazy, he's the type of player who we need to find ways for him to contribute into some type of role in whats shaping up to be a dominant defense in the not so distant future. 

7 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I see this very differently, I like Armstead. He's a puppy and his potential is really insane, not far from Buckner's. I remember in high school he was NorCal's top offensive tackle recruit and one of the best basketball players too he just hasn't had enough time working on his craft, playing a new position this year. Still only 23 years old, thats younger than guys we've seen come out the draft in recent years at DE. On the field his performance has been very average with occasional plays that highlight his skillset as a 6'8" 280lb freak. Injuries are his biggest flaw right now but a broken hand isnt something I expect to become an issue long term. The shoulder he had repaired this offseason seems to be holding up fine, and his athleticism seems to be only getting better as his body leans out. I see Armstead as one of those guys we're able to sign to a contract this offseason at a very team friendly number that 2-3 years from now can prove to be very key. 

Sure we can trade him for some assets to add to our what 20 draft picks we are expected to have the next 2 years? But giving up on developing a guy with his potential is lazy, he's the type of player who we need to find ways for him to contribute into some type of role in whats shaping up to be a dominant defense in the not so distant future. 

Very well said and I completetly agree. I think ppl forget how much of a project Armstead was because Buckner has hit the ground running. Change of scheme and position hasnt help. He flashes potential but just like EVERY young player on our roster, he has to be more consistent. Especially with his technique, as he still struggles with pad level way too much. But he hasnt been a complete bust to the point you look to move him. He's still a pup. The broken hand is unfortuate but not something to question his durability moving forward. 

Unfortunate for Armstead. Not just the injuries, but this is his third year in the NFL and all three years have been under a different coaching staff. I wasn't a fan of the pick to begin with. I can't remember exactly, but I think I wanted either Marcus Peters or Davante Parker. Then we traded back. At least we didn't draft Cam Irving I guess. 

I don't know if Armstead is going to be with the 49ers for a while, but I hope the staff can turn him into something of a decent player with the scheme they want to run. If not, then it makes sense to trade him. You can always use the extra capital to move up in the draft if you have too many picks. 

Armstead isn't a bad player and even this year is second only to Buckner in QB pressures, but as I've stated, he's not good enough to keep to hold Thomas back. Armstead was drafted for another position and we're just going to have to cut ties in the offseason even if it means getting back below FMV for him. Trade him to a 3-4 team and hopefully try getting back a 3rd rounder.

Our DEs are dropping like crazy this season though. From Blair to Carradine to Armstead and even Lynch is banged up. Pita time?

Xavier Cooper is going to get a lot of work, I think he's been solid so far. We can probably look to some practice squads to pick up a guy somewhere. Isaac Rochell from Notre Dame is on the Chargers PS. I thought he'd be in someones rotation when I watched him in college. 

On 10/16/2017 at 7:20 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, if he stays that's perfectly fine. Having a choice between either Rosen/Darnold, Jackson, Allen, Rudolph, etc is not the worst of things. Only thing with that option is, we miss out on of the top pass rushers in a draft that has some elite ones. Oh well, guess you take the best of the bunch in the 2nd round or even trade back up in the 1st to take one. And if that doesn't happen, wait until the 2019 to address that. Not like this is a team ready to win a Super Bowl anytime soon.

Suppose we're picking first or second ... a QB with our first pick, then we could trade both our seconds to move up into the first for the best edge rusher out there, and sign a really good C or G in FA. Or, maybe use those two seconds on  a G and a C and try to find and edge rusher later or in FA, or make that our top priority the follwoing year.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Foster when he's back, and Smith next year when he gets well will be a reaslly good pair and make us forget Coyle and RayRay

Hopefully. I mean, Foster seems legit, and while the staff liked Smith in TC, that really doesn't mean much. He's been awful the last couple of years. 

23 hours ago, N4L said:

Ill be the first to say it, we are going to win next week. No Zeke and the cowboys locker room going through a little turmoil. I expect this game to be our first complete game from start to finish

Looks like Zeke is playing. Judge is on vacation. 

Archived