Week 6 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Washington Redskins

J-ALL-DAY

Credit where credit is due. Regardless of how you feel about the protest (and let's not get into that here), I think that Jed has really handled this whole thing with Aplomb. He's backed his players, made extra charitable donations to support...I feel like he's handled this entire thing very well for a guy that we love to hate on. 

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I didn't think Ray Ray played all that well last game to be honest. Missed a few tackles, bit on all the play actions like usual and really had no impact on the game until his INT, which was a nice play. Think the splash play in OT made it look like he played well, when in reality it was a typical Ray Ray game. 

PFF's take:

LB RAY-RAY ARMSTRONG, 83.7 OVERALL GRADE

Armstrong was solid against both the run and the pass on Sunday, and he was responsible for one of the biggest plays of the game in overtime. With the Colts threatening to end the game with a touchdown, Armstrong sat in his zone and leaped to intercept a Brissett pass to keep the game alive for the 49ers with a nice return as well. Armstrong allowed just two catches for seven yards in coverage and totaled four tackles and a solo stop.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Credit where credit is due. Regardless of how you feel about the protest (and let's not get into that here), I think that Jed has really handled this whole thing with Aplomb. He's backed his players, made extra charitable donations to support...I feel like he's handled this entire thing very well for a guy that we love to hate on. 

I'll add to that further about York and the donations him and the Niners organization, among other Bay Area teams, have made towards relief/help efforts in the dealing of these north Bay Area fires. I think read somewhere in the ball park of half a mil donated. 

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

PFF's take:

Meh, didn't see that type of performance at all. Clearly on two occasions he bit on the play action and let the RB/TE gain easy 10+ yards. On one of Mack's runs, he over shot the gap and let him get cut it to the outside. To be fair on that one, he was far from the only one who messed up on that play. 

Basically, I can't wait until Foster returns. We're about to get some legit all around LB play for once this season. 

10 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This is so sad to consider, but Bowman may be close to being finished. Ah the days of Willis, Aldon, Bowman...Borland! What rotten luck (health? behavior? you decide) we have had with our star/potential star LBs. Our LBs were once the premier corps in the league not long ago...*sigh*

Well, Foster looks promising. So that's one. As long as he can stay healthy for the long term. A lot of teams don't even have one quality linebacker. Ray Ray Armstrong looks like he might be decent here. I don't think Bowman is finished yet. Finished to me is like Derek Smith at the end of his tenure here. Bowman isn't playing that bad. Maybe the 49ers get a linebacker early in the draft next year. Could use more force off the edge. 

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Meh, didn't see that type of performance at all. Clearly on two occasions he bit on the play action and let the RB/TE gain easy 10+ yards. On one of Mack's runs, he over shot the gap and let him get cut it to the outside. To be fair on that one, he was far from the only one who messed up on that play. 

Basically, I can't wait until Foster returns. We're about to get some legit all around LB play for once this season. 

Weird. According to them he allowed just seven yards in coverage that day. 

Unless, they had Bowman having responsibility on those plays? 

Anyways, 

Last two games are a big reason for this as we have 10 sacks and like 28 QB hits. But we desperately need a finisher on the DL. This is 2010 all over again. Now we need to find our Aldon Smith. 

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

By the way, apparently Ray Ray Armstrong was atrocious in Oakland. Somehow he's been able to up his game here under two different coaching regimes. 

He's still the same guy he's always been. Even if you believe in the PFF grade system, he still ranks as one of the worst LBs in the league. This is despite being graded well the last two games. 

Ray Ray deserves a little bit more credit for improving as much as he has. He's still a bonehead, but he's getting closer to reaching his potential. He's still only 26, some guys take longer to hit their stride. Overall our defense aside from a couple players isnt far off from being among the NFLs best. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's still the same guy he's always been. Even if you believe in the PFF grade system, he still ranks as one of the worst LBs in the league. This is despite being graded well the last two games. 

It wasn't the PFF system. It was Raiders fans on Reddit a couple of seasons back. Apparently he was the worst LB ever or something. 

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Unless, they had Bowman having responsibility on those plays? 

Anyways, 

Last two games are a big reason for this as we have 10 sacks and like 28 QB hits. But we desperately need a finisher on the DL. This is 2010 all over again. Now we need to find our Aldon Smith. 

Definitely need the finisher. Also need to see it against better offensive lines. Getting done against the Cardinals, Seahawks and Colts doesn't inspire a ton of confidence overall. If we can create some good pressure on Cousins this week, I will feel better. This is the best offensive line we have faced this year outside of the Rams (who we did absolutely nothing on). 

Archived