Second pick in the first round?

the_lung

Congrats Jaguars fans on clinching the first overall pick and the incredible prospect that is Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence. 
Since that 1.01 selection is pretty much a given, who do the Jags take with their second pick in the first round, the one from the Rams? TE Kyle Pitts from Florida? 

7 minutes ago, the_lung said:

Congrats Jaguars fans on clinching the first overall pick and the incredible prospect that is Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence. 
Since that 1.01 selection is pretty much a given, who do the Jags take with their second pick in the first round, the one from the Rams? TE Kyle Pitts from Florida? 

Pitts won't be there imo.

Think you have to either get protection/weapon for Lawrence or an interior DL (if ones worthy).

7 minutes ago, the_lung said:

If he is there, we need to run to the podium.

Personally, WR, TE, OT and CB should be in play with that pick.

• Like 1

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

Personally, WR, TE, OT and CB should be in play with that pick.

Without looking at specific prospects and where they slot and make sense, Safety and some type of pass rusher also should be on the list. 

20 hours ago, pwny said:

Without looking at specific prospects and where they slot and make sense, Safety and some type of pass rusher also should be on the list. 

based on the current big boards safety position is not 1st round material unless ur counting the Notre dame LB/S guy.  IDL probably isnt in play there as well......

the intriguing option IMO is getting Zaven collins from Tulsa.   dudes either a SAM or MIKE in the 4-3 but dude can play some edge as well.  

The fact we have a ridiculous amount of cap space and loads of needs mean we can do whatever we want...call it a perk of being absolutely terrible

Realistically I wouldn't mind going offense heavy but geez our defense is pretty awful. At least the offense has a few guys worthy of their spot but how many defenders can we say that about?

Pitts would be the no brainer pick, but not sure he’ll be there. Another guy who would make a ton of sense is Travis Etienne. The connection is already there. Would be a really nice complement to Robinson. 

Frankly, If I’m the Jags...I’m treating this like an expansion team. I don’t care about team needs...I’m getting the most talented players I can regardless of position. 

To me, I would put a premium on protection for Trevor first and foremost.  If Pitts were to fall, I'd probably give into temptation and take him with our second pick, but the chances are he will be gone by then.  Otherwise, fix the offensive line.  I've been thinking it might be a decent plan to use the draft picks for offensive players to put together an unit that can be together for a long time.  Then use the cap space to get as many very good defensive players as you can who are still relatively young (mid-20's). 

It's going to take more than one year to make a winner out of a 1-15 team, so we just need to be patient, and think long-term.  In 3-4 years, this team can be competing for a Super Bowl.  I remember watching a documentary on the '85 Bears and Mike Ditka was hired as the coach when they were terrible.  He told them "give me 3 years."  Three years later they crushed the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

I'm of the mind to go uber offense-heavy this draft to ensure Lawrence has players to grow with. If a few guys happen to fall--Farley, Pitts, Wyatt Davis--then I would consider them. Otherwise, OT and then WR (Waddle, Smith, Bateman) could make a lot of sense. DL could wait a round or two IMO. CB could be great value in the second round this year as well, or maybe someone like Rondale Moore is he is there in the second. 

There is also the possibility of a trade-down if all the blue chips are gone.

22 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Pitts would be the no brainer pick, but not sure he’ll be there. Another guy who would make a ton of sense is Travis Etienne. The connection is already there. Would be a really nice complement to Robinson. 

Frankly, If I’m the Jags...I’m treating this like an expansion team. I don’t care about team needs...I’m getting the most talented players I can regardless of position. 

I cant imagine they go RB early. Even if Travis is a great complement. We have so many other needs and RB is far from the top of the list

20 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm of the mind to go uber offense-heavy this draft to ensure Lawrence has players to grow with. If a few guys happen to fall--Farley, Pitts, Wyatt Davis--then I would consider them. Otherwise, OT and then WR (Waddle, Smith, Bateman) could make a lot of sense. DL could wait a round or two IMO. CB could be great value in the second round this year as well, or maybe someone like Rondale Moore is he is there in the second. 

There is also the possibility of a trade-down if all the blue chips are gone.

I would be perfectly ok if they went offense heavy in the first couple of rounds.  We need speed/playmakers on offense. If we can snag a guy like Kadarius Toney at 33, I would be pumped.

• Like 1