A rule change that needs to be a thing

pf9

Today, Baker Mayfield fumbled the ball trying to do a QB sneak on 4th down. A teammate recovered it and advanced it, which is currently against the rules, resulting in the Jets taking over.

Because it was such a huge game in the playoff race, I think the NFL will look at changing this rule for next year. There's other rule changes that need to be made because existing rules are antiquated - like making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown.

You don''t need to change ever long established rule because one time it led to an outcome you didn't like. The rule more often than not removes the ridiculousness of a holy roller at the end of games and is much better overall for the game than complaining over a freak occurence. If anything you are basically saying Cleveland should benefit from their own screw up because they got lucky and landed on it. 

Not a good case to change the rule. And it doesn't guarantee a win anyways. 

Not every rule needs to be looked at.

• Like 8

I may be wrong but dont we see fumbles and other guys pick them up all the time on hook and latter plays at the end of games?

Also, dont we see fumbles all the time kicked around by people diving on them andthe ball roll into the endzone where its recovered its a TD?

I literally just saw in the Ravens/Browns game JK Dobbins fumble the ball and his OL picked it up and ran for a 1st down......

Im just confused I guesss.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Today, Baker Mayfield fumbled the ball trying to do a QB sneak on 4th down. A teammate recovered it and advanced it, which is currently against the rules, resulting in the Jets taking over.

Because it was such a huge game in the playoff race, I think the NFL will look at changing this rule for next year. There's other rule changes that need to be made because existing rules are antiquated - like making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown.

you had me in the first half, not gonna lie

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not to also edit my last post but the ball was 'fumbled' backwards, behind the LOS and it never hit the ground. Wouldnt that technically be the same thing as a handoff?

The rule states that there has to be intent to hand off. 

As for the hook and ladders at the end of the game - no clue

Just now, Matts4313 said:

The rule states that there has to be intent to hand off. 

As for the hook and ladders at the end of the game - no clue

Okay to the first part, but thats my point to the 2nd part. I literally just saw 2 weeks ago Dobbins fumble and another player pick it up and run for a 1st down AGAINST the Browns.

So why when quite literally the exact same thing happens with Baker/Hunt, this random little sneaky niche rule nobody has ever heard of or knew existed come out of nowhere?