A rule change that needs to be a thing

pf9

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Okay to the first part, but thats my point to the 2nd part. I literally just saw 2 weeks ago Dobbins fumble and another player pick it up and run for a 1st down AGAINST the Browns.

So why when quite literally the exact same thing happens with Baker/Hunt, this random little sneaky niche rule nobody has ever heard of or knew existed come out of nowhere?

citation needed

did it hapen in the final 2 min of the game?

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

i dont believe the NFL rules state intent.

it does state t hat strips counta s fumbles though from what I understood

A dude posted the rule on Reddit. Unless he made it up, it does state intent.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Okay to the first part, but thats my point to the 2nd part. I literally just saw 2 weeks ago Dobbins fumble and another player pick it up and run for a 1st down AGAINST the Browns.

So why when quite literally the exact same thing happens with Baker/Hunt, this random little sneaky niche rule nobody has ever heard of or knew existed come out of nowhere?

Was it in the final 2 minutes of the game?

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

citation needed

did it hapen in the final 2 min of the game?

No but its just shocking to discover this rule exists when it completely bones your team out of the playoffs.

I understand not being able to fumble the ball forward to advance it, but he fumbled it backwards. Thats where my beef with this rule even comes from

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Today, Baker Mayfield fumbled the ball trying to do a QB sneak on 4th down. A teammate recovered it and advanced it, which is currently against the rules, resulting in the Jets taking over.

Because it was such a huge game in the playoff race, I think the NFL will look at changing this rule for next year. There's other rule changes that need to be made because existing rules are antiquated - like making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown.

So you want to re-write a rule that was instituted because it changed the outcome of a game?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roller_(American_football)

https://www.espn.com.au/video/clip/_/id/23522989

29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The rule states that there has to be intent to hand off. 

As for the hook and ladders at the end of the game - no clue

39 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I may be wrong but dont we see fumbles and other guys pick them up all the time on hook and latter plays at the end of games?

Also, dont we see fumbles all the time kicked around by people diving on them andthe ball roll into the endzone where its recovered its a TD?

I literally just saw in the Ravens/Browns game JK Dobbins fumble the ball and his OL picked it up and ran for a 1st down......

Im just confused I guesss.

A backward pass is not a fumble even if it hits the ground. It is live though. That is why the hook and ladder things are ok.

@AkronsWitness as to your second sentence the rule is only in effect at certain points (4th down and after 2 minute warning). It is to prevent intentional fumbling.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

Today, Baker Mayfield fumbled the ball trying to do a QB sneak on 4th down. A teammate recovered it and advanced it, which is currently against the rules, resulting in the Jets taking over.

Because it was such a huge game in the playoff race, I think the NFL will look at changing this rule for next year. There's other rule changes that need to be made because existing rules are antiquated - like making all forward passes legal regardless of where they are thrown.

This was a very reasonable opinion and then right at the end you went super radical

I like the cut of your jib 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

No but its just shocking to discover this rule exists when it completely bones your team out of the playoffs.

I understand not being able to fumble the ball forward to advance it, but he fumbled it backwards. Thats where my beef with this rule even comes from

Honestly it's not an obscure rule. It happens many several times every year.

38 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not to also edit my last post but the ball was 'fumbled' backwards, behind the LOS and it never hit the ground. Wouldnt that technically be the same thing as a handoff?

I'm still a bit hung up on this one as well

37 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

no, because strips are always fumbles by NFL rule

36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The rule states that there has to be intent to hand off. 

As for the hook and ladders at the end of the game - no clue

I just don't know how you can define intent. And as for "strip" its still vague

If the ball went backward - which it did, and never touched the ground - which it didn't. I just don't know how you can accurately differentiate that from a lateral

Like, you and I both know that this was not intentional, but from a clear and decisive RULEBOOK definition. I don't know that you can differentiate the two in this case. Idk.

Just now, Tk3 said:

I'm still a bit hung up on this one as well

I just don't know how you can define intent. And as for "strip" its still vague

If the ball went backward - which it did, and never touched the ground - which it didn't. I just don't know how you can accurately differentiate that from a lateral

Like, you and I both know that this was not intentional, but from a clear and decisive RULEBOOK definition. I don't know that you can differentiate the two in this case. Idk.

The refs entire job is to make that judgement call. Just like any other call. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

The refs entire job is to make that judgement call. Just like any other call. 

I mean.. do we have humans judging INTENT anywhere else?

I guess if you ask me what the DEFINITION of a lateral is, I have a hard time disqualifying what happened from being a lateral