Week 16 Recap: Titans 3 weapons stymied, Packers Roll

mikebpackfan

15 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

With the way our D looked against the #1 scoring offense and KC pulling off a nailbiter win at home against the Falcons:

Think we have a legit shot at beating them in the SB?

Without question we have a chance, and in fact, if the Super Bowl were tomorrow I bet the line would be nearly even.  And my money would confidently be placed on the Packers!

Ironically, the first half of the season, the AFC looked like the dominant conference.  Lately, I’m liking the strength of the top NFC teams over the AFC.  I think GB, NO, Tampa and Seattle all have improved as the season has progressed, whereas, Pitt, Rams, and KC have slid and Buffalo is holding steady.

I like GB’s chances if...no, when they get to the Superb Owl.

Edited by Sasquatch

31 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

With the way our D looked against the #1 scoring offense and KC pulling off a nailbiter win at home against the Falcons:

Think we have a legit shot at beating them in the SB?

IMO the only thing stopping either team is themselves tbh. Both are clearly the top teams in the league at this rate. Tonight we saw what this team looks like when they play a full 60 minutes. We already knew how great this offense is so their production wasn't surprising....it was the defense dominating what was, at the time, the highest scoring offense in the league. Held the rushing leader under 100 yards(first time he's been below that in like 10 road games) and Jaire and co kept Brown/Davis in check

This is clearly the best Packers team since 2014 performance wise. Just hope they keep it rolling and don't have one of those stinker games

5 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Chiefs are very much a finesse offense. Not the kind of team that gives us serious problems unless Edwards-Helaire comes back and can control the clock for them. I’d much rather play them than Buffalo right now but people are going to think I’m crazy for that. 

Le'veon Bell? You're right anyway, Reid hates clock management, and thus also despises running the ball. Always has. Boy howdy does he ever know how to make a QB look like a star of allstars though. Between the Detmers and Garcia, I don't know how teams trusted any of the QB's that looked good in Philly. 

Pretty much only negative is Wagner's injury. This OL is at its best with Wagner at OT and Turner at OG. Hopefully no structural damage and he'll be back, or worst case, maybe an MCL and he can be back after the presumptive bye week. 

Only other "concern" I guess is that MVS was once again absent. Not even a target. I wonder whether he can play in the cold...his last good game was in Detroit, he hasn't done a thing at Lambeau in several weeks. 

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Ironically, the first half of the season, the AFC looked like the dominant conference.  Lately, I’m liking the strength of the top NFC teams over the AFC.  I think GB, NO, Tampa and Seattle all have improved as the season has progressed, whereas, Pitt, Rams, and KC have slid and Buffalo is holding steady.

I like GB’s chances if...no, when they get to the Superb Owl.

But TB is only 1-5 against playoff teams...9-0 against non-playoff....Pittsburgh beat a pretty good Colts team yesterday....

7 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Chiefs are very much a finesse offense. Not the kind of team that gives us serious problems unless Edwards-Helaire comes back and can control the clock for them. I’d much rather play them than Buffalo right now but people are going to think I’m crazy for that. 

I said that last year too.  

To beat the Packers, you have to do 2 things:

1.  Rush effectively with 4.  Fluster Rodgers and don't let us push the ball down field.  We will score by dinking and dunking down the field.  But we will eventually get impatient and fall behind the sticks.

2.  Out boring us on offense.  Keep plugging away with the run, we won't continuously stop it, and dink and dunk your way down the field.  

That is how the Vikings, Buccaneers, and Colts beat us.  Does any of that sound like the Chiefs? Carolina seemed to figure it out in the second half last week, they just aren't good enough to pull it off, same with Jacksonville, who we struggled with.  Could a team like the Chiefs or Bills beat us? Sure.  But I doubt it.  

• Like 1

My takeaways...

Took me forever to watch the game.  Whenever they ran at Gary, I rewound the play over and over.  I don't know that I've ever seen an EDGE get set the perfectly.  And then cleaned up.  To me, this was Gary's coming out party.  He stuffed runs, and didn't just funnel it inside, he set the edge, disengaged and got tackles.  Pass rush was fine, but his run stuff was amazing.

Gonna throw some love to Pettine for this one.  He let his defense loose.  Committed to the run and his secondary more than held up, they kind of dominated.  Love seeing Savage playing man and also being a joker around the LOS.  Loved seeing Amos up near the LOS where he could tackle and not be Redmond or Greene.  Kind of feel like Pettine was playing "rope a dope" with the defense for most of the year.  Let's hope it continues.

We stayed committed to the run game on offense.  Dillon was very impressive.  Great feet and balance for such a large man.

Rodgers was pretty locked into Adams, and why not?  Adams was whipping his guy right off of the line, so you might as well feed him.

Only gaffe was specials, again, and we were bailed out by the refs.  I don't think Crosby has missed a FG all year, but how many extra points has he missed now?  Not that I'm worried about that, but it is now a "thing".

To me, this game was about the LOS.  We controlled both sides of it against a very good, tough, physical team.

And....was Simmons name ever even mentioned?  I know he is young.  I know he is good.  But we kind of took him away.