AFC Re-Alignment

DigInBoys

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm actually thinking - San Antonio was getting really excited over the thought of the Raiders in San Antonio. They'd probably get equally geeked over the Chargers, too. 

They're a passionate fanbase - they live and die for the Spurs, and they're really rallying behind their college programs such as UTSA. TV market is small, but no smaller than San Diego. Could still call them a "West" team, hypothetically. Would create a fun dynamic with the Cowboys and Texans. The Alamodome would be an ideal venue, better than StubHubTub.

Thoughts?

Jerry would never let that happen. Would cut into his revenue. 

31 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm actually thinking - San Antonio was getting really excited over the thought of the Raiders in San Antonio. They'd probably get equally geeked over the Chargers, too. 

They're a passionate fanbase - they live and die for the Spurs, and they're really rallying behind their college programs such as UTSA. TV market is small, but no smaller than San Diego. Could still call them a "West" team, hypothetically. Would create a fun dynamic with the Cowboys and Texans. The Alamodome would be an ideal venue, better than StubHubTub.

Thoughts?

IT'd make more sense to move them to Oklahoma City.

Can someone explain the obsession with making the divisions more geographically accurate, to me? Yeah, some of the placements don't make as much sense as they possibly could, but who cares, really? It's less than a 30 minute difference, the travel time between Miami and Buffalo or Boston, and Miami and any of the Texas teams. It's maybe an hour difference to have Indy go to Cincy/Cleveland/Pittsburgh, compared to Jacksonville/Tennessee/Houston. So the distance really isn't any kind of problem or disadvantage whatsoever for the teams. The divisions themselves have no real reason to be geographically based, they just kind of are. There's reasons not to have East Coast and West Coast mix, because time zones, but that's really it. I just kind of don't get what these kinds of proposals, even if accepted, would actually accomplish, aside from making the maps a little bit neater. To me, there's clear negatives (messing with league history and rivalries) with no positives at all to counter them.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

IT'd make more sense to move them to Oklahoma City.

Yeah, that would make sense as well. 

42 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Jerry would never let that happen. Would cut into his revenue. 

13 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Anywhere but LA, Jerruh might have a problem with it though.

I don't disagree, but I think Spanos is stubborn enough to do it even if Jerruh stands in his way.

I think the NFL was close to moving the colts to the AFC north and ravens to the east when the Texans joined but ravens owner wanted to keep playing steelers and browns for the rivalry.. could be wrong but I remember hearing  talk of the colts joining the steelers division around that time

wonder if the colts would of stayed in the east if the realignment happened right in the middle of Brady vs Manning

It actually makes a lot of sense IMO, originally Baltmore was the ex Cleveland franchise and they did not want to split them away from Pittsburgh, Cincy and Cleveland, but I think it could be done today. The NFL is just reluctant to make the change as all teams would have to approve.

With modern travel considerations and everything, i don't see how it makes much difference.  Plus, there are obviously the "rivalries" built up as is.

If they were to do anything with the divisional stuff, i'd really just prefer they cut "divisional games" down to once per team per season.  I honestly get a little tired of seeing the same 3 teams 6 times a year, every year.  Though considering the Jaguars division...it's probably a good thing for their winning potential.

15 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I don't disagree, but I think Spanos is stubborn enough to do it even if Jerruh stands in his way.

It takes a 2/3 majority to move a team correct? Doesn't Jerry hold a lot of sway over other owners? That's always been the word on the interwebs.

By the way, I don't know how you did it, but your first quote on the above post^^ wasn't me.

Archived