2020 Week #17 GDT Steelers vs. Browns

Steeler Hitman

Who : Steelers 12-3 vs. Browns 10-5

steelers-browns-1549661481.jpg?crop=0.98

When: Sunday, January 3, 2021 @ 1 pm 

Where: First Energy Stadium Cleveland, Ohio

1feature-firstenergystadium-crediterikdr

Why or What's at stake: Play-off spot for the Browns and possible higher play-off seeding for the Steelers/ Can the offense get better as well.

jksfuxvdglams1gszcg9.jpg

Dionte Johnson and the Steelers offense didn't let another game or ball slip through their grasp.

palsimvajppp0hjz3ity.jpg

Ben and Dionte hook up deep to bring the Steelers back against a tough Colts team.

merlin_181710024_69600fc8-28fc-4229-b5f6

The NY Jets did to the Browns what they did to the Steelers the previous year in hanging an loss on the Browns and leaving them scramble to grab the ball and a play-off spot.

tibtrae8y0qbhs127bhb.jpg

Big Ben would find both Dionte and Ju Ju in the endzone for second half TD's. The Steelers offense scored 21 points in the second half and put up more than 20 points for the first time in four weeks. 

zl4yidj9ycbjqyf4w7fo.jpg

Steelers defense regained its second half swagger with some complimentary football from the offense.

Can they start playing four quarters and a complete games like this (complimentary football)?

Key Browns Defensive Players: DE Miles Garrett, CB's Denzel Ward & Terrence Mitchell, DT's Larry Ogunjobi & Sheldon Richardson

c39wsfgsgcy6slkmh7gm.jpg

Steelers LT Big Al will have his hands full with Browns DE Miles Garrett. Big Al has struggled a bit the past few weeks against the Bengals and Colts edge rushers. 

ugduvndhbzynxi56ntin.jpg

Good Ben/Bad Ben has been a tale of halves at times during the 2020 season. Can the Steelers offense play a complete game?

gtdivuarymtdgfjr48vz.jpg

Baker Mayfield and Nick Chubb hope to get the Browns offense going against the Steelers to lock up a play-off game. 

Key Browns Offensive Players: RB's Nick Chubb & Kareem Hunt, OG Joel Bitonio, QB Baker Mayfield, WR Jarvis Landry, TE Austin Hooper

udso8ct1pr7yckq61gzn.jpg

Steelers defense will face another stiff test against the powerful Browns OL and rushing attack. The Steelers offense will need to eat up some clock and move the ball consistently to help out.

uvnm9beknpz6u47antrc.jpg

Can the Steelers combine the first offense offense against the Titans with the second half offense against the Ravens and Colts to play a complete football game of complimentary football. 

gcogdue2mx1ol6ertkwq.jpg

The Steelers won the division, but have much higher goals and aspirations. Do they manufacture a bye and rest some players or play to possibly move up? Either way they will face a tough group of Wildcards between: Baltimore, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Miami, or Tennessee depending on who wins tonight with Buffalo and next weeks outcomes. 

Prediction: This is almost a similar situation to 2019 when the Steelers faced off against the Ravens JV team and was humbled due to a lack of offensive firepower with Mason and Duck at QB. I think the Steelers will try to get some rest for players, but at the same time try to build some momentum with the offense. They may treat this the same way they would a third pre-season game and play starters a half and hope they play well and build a lead. This Browns team is much better offensively than the 2019 Steelers offense, so that could spell a win based on the fact, the Browns need to win. Covid-19 outbreaks aside, The Browns make Cleveland happy and get in the play-offs for a three-peat rematch in Pittsburgh. Browns 24 -20 over Steelers.

2 hours ago, August4th said:

I wonder if the Bills/Pats game will impact what we do Sunday. The 2 seed is ours with a win, if Buf lose tonight. but in this new playoff format and a yr with no fans, the two seed and being the home team does not matter as much as it did in the past.

I think it also comes down to who you can potentially match up to play against in the first round.

The Steelers (Browns) and Bills (Dolphins) could both lose one and that keeps things as they are with the Bills leading the tie breaker and still being #2. I think they win tonight though and that puts them back at #2 with both the Bills and Steelers being 12-3 going into the final week. Both opponents need a win and both Steelers and Bills are already in. On one hand, the Steelers need their offense to do something for four quarters. Yet they need a rest as well. Play them a series or two and let them rest or simply go with Mason and most of the back-ups is the decision the team will need to think about and make.

I want no part of the starters playing. TJ, Cam, Tuitt, Ben, no thanks.

I am leaning that way, but I am concerned about the offense. If they don't show up in the first quarter, it will be one and done against any of their potential opponents. 

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

if we lose this, is there a chance that we get a seed that has us playing a team other than the ravens? We will know after the bills game tonight. 

With the Bills winning, most likely the Bills will be the #2 seed. If things play out how I think they will, Baltimore would play Buffalo as the #7 seed. We would be the #3 seed even if we win against Cleveland unless Buffalo loses to Miami next week. If we lose, we are the #3 seed no matter what, but most likely, if Cleveland makes rhe playoffs would either play Cleveland or Baltimore in R1.

Edited by wwhickok

2 hours ago, August4th said:

I think we sit our key vets, so the Browns do enough to win and clinch. Ravens beat cin. Buff keeps on rolling and beat Mia.

so we'll end up playing the browns in the WC. I like our chances in that game

2 weeks in a  row, that gets interesting. I this happened before, but who/when and the result?

Bills are on a roll, these playoffs will be fun to watch. Too bad they don't DQ the NFC least and put a team in the AFC in over there as a replacement.

some more fichner mail:

9 hours ago, August4th said:

I think we sit our key vets, so the Browns do enough to win and clinch. Ravens beat cin. Buff keeps on rolling and beat Mia.

so we'll end up playing the browns in the WC. I like our chances in that game

So bench our starters and show nothing in terms of gameplan of what we would actually do to beat them while they try their hardest and give us a week of practice against what we will see the following week? Yup. Sign me up for that scenario. 

With Ben most likely sitting, I would even love to give Dobbs some run (literally) on a package for short yardage. Some read option stuff in an area that we have struggled all year. If we really like it, maybe we have something that we can use. But worst case scenario is the Browns (or whoever) have something to waste a little time on during the playoff week of practice thinking about defending.