2020 Week #17 GDT Steelers vs. Browns

Steeler Hitman

3 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Announced today that Ben will sit and Mason start. Hopefully they rest some of the other starters and go with a basic game plan to save something for the playoffs. 

I'm assuming Bills rest as well. The most likely scenario to me is a Dolphins victory over the Bills back-ups and Baltimore in the WC.

29 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm assuming Bills rest as well.

I think they play their guys, at least the first half and re-assess after looking at the Steelers game. They have something to lose and control of the situation, we don't. NY is also allowing some fans to come to games, so that's helpful. Im glad Tomlin's not going to chase something we have no ultimate control over. We could play Ben and beat the Browns, but if the Bills win it was for nothing. Take the rest, let fate take care of the rest. 

13 hours ago, August4th said:

Snell is too slow to be having bad vision. I think this dude is a RB3 playing RB2 role here. they needs to almost clean house in the RB room this offseason.

good post, the TV replays never show this anymore. DDC had the combination block and made a lane AV was there too.   Maybe Snell suits a different blocking scheme or certain plays though as he has been productive at times . The reality is the playoffs are here and the run game isn't. Will it return? When was the last time a team that was near the worst in the league in the run game suddenly got legit at playoff time? I just don't see it happening

20 hours ago, August4th said:

Snell is too slow to be having bad vision. I think this dude is a RB3 playing RB2 role here. they needs to almost clean house in the RB room this offseason.

Id keep McFarland around....but Conner and Snell can go.

Still, the biggest issues with our run game is the OLine and inability to stretch the field.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jebrick said:

I read an article where the NFL is going to force the game will be played on time with whomever the Browns got.  They do not want to push to a week 18 and give all teams but the Steelers a bye week.

Not a surprise after what they did to the Browns last week and the Broncos earlier this year. The Browns being out all their WR last week and 2 starting LB, and this week all their safeties and a corner is meme worthy. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:41 PM, August4th said:

Snell is too slow to be having bad vision.

This is where position coaching really comes in.  This is also why I believe that less practices with pads is sometimes bad (especially for younger players as you get simulate the same intensity and speed as you do in pads hitting rather than helmets and shorts wrapping). This disrupts timing and causes problems with being able to read blocks. This is all on Benny. 

Correct me if I am wrong in my Football 101 on pulls: The RB typically stays behind the pulling OL on pulls and sweeps. The opposing LB'ers are taught to go to the pulling OL's, butt and meet the RB before he gets going in the hole.

RPO play. Pre-snap defensive look: Villy, Chuks and DeCastro are all set like they are going to be pass blocking (initial pre-snap read based on formation and stances). The Colts LDE is in the Wide 9 position to maximize his pass rush and to get one on one with #76 Chuks. #53 Darius Leonard is clearly reading Big Ben. #54 Walker looks like he is watching the initial communication between Pouncey and DeCastro or peeking at Bennie. Leonard and Walker are talking to the defense. The RDT moves slightly to the right of Dotson #69. Walker's eyes also go outside (his left) right side of offense outside of the DE.

At the 006 mark our "cream-puff" of OL's are doing a decent job of getting an initial block (hat on a hat). DeCastro chips/doubles and then goes for Leonard and actually seals him. Pouncey seals Glover and Eric Ebron even gets his body between the RDE. ILB Anthony Walker is heading outside before pausing to read Bennie. Villy is coming inside. The RB (Snell) should be be thinking follow my blocker here. Instead he misreads and then sees Walker cut the outside off. When Bennie tries to cut inside he has missed the hole and Colts DE Denico Autry is there to wrap him up. If Bennie follows Villy he has at the least a conservative 4-5 yard gain before Safety Khari Willis could have gotten over and with any power or push probably more than than that.

This is a huge part of the Steelers offensive woes. It has to be disturbing for the players as well because even when one aspect is right, another messes it up. I remember seeing a similar clip last year when Edmunds missed an easy TD against the Colts had he followed his blocking. That was the kind of play and blocking that Lev Bell had success with here. There was not a single pancake block on that play, but 

I think this dude is a RB3 playing RB2 role here. they needs to almost clean house in the RB room this offseason.

I think they have serviceable parts, but also to your point, no RB1.  I think Connor would be s very good RB2 here or elsewhere. He has had problems staying healthy. That role may keep him from the pounding and nagging injuries that he gets as a feature guy. I agree that Snell is a RB3. McFarland is the wildcard.  From what I have seen, there is not enough confidence in him right now to say RB1, but he has a higher ceiling than any other RB on the roster right now. I have never been a huge Samuels fan and it is more that his skillset seems limited and he has not been used in his role as much as he could due to Connors ability to play as a third down RB as well. 

While this OL is not nearly as bad as the one Big Ben won the SB against the Cardinals in 2008 (Hartwig, Stapleton, Colon, Keomatu and Starks at LT ) , it also is not as good at run blocking as the one he won the SB his second season against Seattle (Max Starks, Simms, Hartings, LG  Faneca, and LT Marvel Smith). They could use some beef up front and another guy who could get some push. How bad do the Steelers miss back-up C BJ Finney? He was always good for a push replacing Pouncey or at OG Double D. Wiz could have been that guy, but losing him really hurt our OL depth as well. 

My off season solution: Add a few OL pieces and a RB1 type, even if he splits carries with MAC, Snell or Connors if he stays. For now, you have to try to get the most out of what you have. Based on this one clip, we see a lot of the offenses woes. It is really that close. That is the difference between a two yard gain and a five, six, seven or more yard gain. Success opens up the offense as well. 

13 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

How bad do the Steelers miss back-up C BJ Finney? He was always good for a push replacing Pouncey or at OG Double D. Wiz could have been that guy, but losing him really hurt our OL depth as well. 

I never liked them letting Finney go because to me he was better than pouncey. Now Finney is with the bungles, maybe strike a trade in the offseason to bring him back, what a loss  though. The run game was so much better with Finney.   

• Like 1