2K20: Game #16 - LA Chargers at Kansas City - Season Finale

Game #16 saw a lot of bench players get snaps--Ricky Seales-Jones, Gehrig Dieter, among others. Darrel Williams had 14 touches and Willie Gay played more than 50% of the snaps. The game plan was vanilla, but there were also trick plays. In short it was like a preseason game the team wanted to win--starters playing but not quite in synch. Win they did, though it was ugly. The Falcons' Pro-Bowl K missed a shortish FG in the final seconds. Week #17 should be even more like preseason, as week #17s frequently are. However, there are things to track.

Travis Kelce now holds the record for most yards in a season by a TE. Pending the game tonight, he may also hold the league lead in receiving yards. No TE has ever led the league in yardage. Kelce leads DeAndre Hopkins by 44 yards going into the final game and everyone else is at least 90 yards back. Stefon Diggs is 102 yards behind, but he has two games remaining. Kelce needs 84 yards for 1500 yards, which has never been done. this would also place him in the top 50 receiving seasons in NFL history. Kelce needs 81 yards to make #50 and 105 yards to make #40. 

Pat Mahomes leads the NFL in passing yards with 4740 yards, already #32 all time. He needs 260 yards to become the 13th player to reach 5000 yards and 344 to make the top 10. His own team record is 5097, or 353 more yards. Only Drew Brees has hit 500 more than once, but he has done it five times.

The defense is currently #7 in points allowed. They have a good chance of finishing top 10. The team is 5th in turnover differential. 

J

Hill sat a lot on running plays, I noticed. Usually I think he's on the field for even running plays. His usage probably comes down a touch more?

Williams obviously used a ton with Bell getting dinged up, Thompson only used on ST

Sneed settled in at nickel corner: above 70% of the snaps — mostly on passing downs. Thornhill was used only on passing downs,  Rashad Fenton played only on special teams.

Against LA I only care about 3 things; 1. Win, 2. No injuries, 3. Kelce pad those stats baby

Fun fact, Travis Kelce leads the NFL in 1st down receptions aand 1st down + TD receptions. Stefon Diggs had a huge night against the Patriots, so it is unlikely that Kelce will get the receiving title. Still, 1500 yards is easy and he will be the first. 

Mahomes is not about the stats, so he might sit. It's a pity. He only needs 260 to make 5000 again. Only Brees has ever done it twice.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

I'm not even sure i would play Kelce. It depends on injuries. If some of our starters have small injuries, i'd rather want them to rest. I'd start Henne as well or give him at least 3/4 quarters, to give him game time experience, just in case something happens with Mahomes and we need to rely on Henne in the playoffs.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Edge said:

I'm not even sure i would play Kelce. It depends on injuries. If some of our starters have small injuries, i'd rather want them to rest. I'd start Henne as well or give him at least 3/4 quarters, to give him game time experience, just in case something happens with Mahomes and we need to rely on Henne in the playoffs.

Kelce is indestructible ;) 

In all seriousness, they definitely should get Kelce the milestone, then maybe rest him

No 15-1 team has won the Super Bowl since 1985. A division rival of the Chiefs was the team that stopped the last 15-1 team from doing so.

I think the Chiefs should go for 15-1. No 15-1 team has won the Super Bowl in my lifetime, not even my 2011 Packers, which frustrates me more because the Bears were able to do it (both the 2011 Packers and 2015 Panthers were defeated by a Manning).

11 hours ago, pf9 said:

No 15-1 team has won the Super Bowl since 1985. A division rival of the Chiefs was the team that stopped the last 15-1 team from doing so.

I think the Chiefs should go for 15-1. No 15-1 team has won the Super Bowl in my lifetime, not even my 2011 Packers, which frustrates me more because the Bears were able to do it (both the 2011 Packers and 2015 Panthers were defeated by a Manning).

We are the record breakers. This team can smash all these quirky records, like the MVP hasn't won the SB in how ever many years. 

That said, IF we lose to LAC it wouldn't bother me much at all. Might even focus them more going into the playoffs

I don't think I would give Mahomes the MVP this season. He's had a really good year, but Rodgers has had a slightly better one. The string I want to break is the curse of 15-1. The last time a one loss team won the SB was the Bears in 1985. Appropriately enough, they beat the Patriots. It has been sixteen years since the Pats won the last back to back titles. 

J

38 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I don't think I would give Mahomes the MVP this season. He's had a really good year, but Rodgers has had a slightly better one. The string I want to break is the curse of 15-1. The last time a one loss team won the SB was the Bears in 1985. Appropriately enough, they beat the Patriots. It has been sixteen years since the Pats won the last back to back titles. 

J

I think I would based on SOS. I heard the Packers have played literally the easiest schedule. Mahomes and co. have gone to New Orleans, Miami, Buffalo, Tampa Bay and Baltimore and won. Is there a standout win on the road for GB? Saints is the only one. They even lost to Indie and Minnesota. 

For me, Mahomes has been slightly more impressive based on that, and also the instability on the line

21 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Mahomes went on an interception frenzy. That's what'll keep him from getting the MVP. Kind of a quirky run on interceptions.

You talking the Miami game? Still went in their sweat box and beat them, and I bet Flores wins COTY. Wasn't Pat's best game, but shows to everyone again why you can never count him out, 

I agree that the INTs are will be one key factor, but the other one is that both Rodgers and Mahomes had potential statement games. Mahomes did OK against the Saints, but Rodgers laid the wood on the Titans. Also, Rodgers career is winding down. I'll give him a small nudge for that. PM II should have more chances. 

J