2K20: Game #16 - LA Chargers at Kansas City - Season Finale

Because of the preseason-like atmosphere, I will not not be posting injury updates. Since Henne will be under center, there is a good chance some injured players will sit out when they could play, eg Fisher, Hill, Remmer. In two weeks, the reports will be much more serious. There are several players who hope to be off IR by then. 

The NFLPA has given permission for players to be elevated from PS unlimited times. This means that DeAndre Baker can play without officially moving him to the roster. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/30/nfl-unlimited-practice-squad-elevations-kansas-city-chiefs-outlook/

J

The key word being project. Wharton and Danna are ready for prime time. Saunders has at least some front line experience. Ward is a project.

We will see a full game from Gay and likely a lot of Fenton and Thornhill on the defense. The offense will probably see a full game from Yasir Durant and a lot from the extra TEs and Pringle. 

J

15 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Starting Defensive Line:

Danna - Wharton - Saunders - Ward

Yikes.

Rough on paper, but honestly, I feel like the week 17 bench roster always seems to outperform what they should do on paper, under Reid. Those are lesser players, but either high effort guys or guys who this is their first chance in awhile (Saunders and Ward are basically off the depth chart at this point.) But a bunch of guys had career games in 2017 off the bench. They lost, but went to OT in 2013.

Weird that it always seems to be the Chargers, now that I think about it.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The key word being project. Wharton and Danna are ready for prime time. Saunders has at least some front line experience. Ward is a project.

We will see a full game from Gay and likely a lot of Fenton and Thornhill on the defense. The offense will probably see a full game from Yasir Durant and a lot from the extra TEs and Pringle. 

J

It is nice to be in position to give these guys PT.  My point being,  could care less about guys I’ve seen already.   Want to see these young guys in action 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Starting Defensive Line:

Danna - Wharton - Saunders - Ward

Yikes.

Well, I guess...Herbert is really good under pressure so we take that facet of his game away. 😏

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Rough on paper, but honestly, I feel like the week 17 bench roster always seems to outperform what they should do on paper, under Reid. Those are lesser players, but either high effort guys or guys who this is their first chance in awhile (Saunders and Ward are basically off the depth chart at this point.) But a bunch of guys had career games in 2017 off the bench. They lost, but went to OT in 2013.

Weird that it always seems to be the Chargers, now that I think about it.

Perhaps it's something to do with being given instructions to completely empty the tank and to use it as a platform to showcase yourself for future consideration? I don't know, maybe there's some psychology going on with backups that impress. Or maybe it's simply that at this level, there really isn't much in it in terms of talent in the bulk of the player pool

6 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Perhaps it's something to do with being given instructions to completely empty the tank and to use it as a platform to showcase yourself for future consideration? I don't know, maybe there's some psychology going on with backups that impress. Or maybe it's simply that at this level, there really isn't much in it in terms of talent in the bulk of the player pool

Some of it could be.... these guys are simply hungry and fresh.   It’s their time to shine.   As opposed to going against a bunch of guys who are in game 16 of a lost season.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Well, I guess...Herbert is really good under pressure so we take that facet of his game away. 😏

Danna will bring it. Wharton is better than average. Still, it's a run oriented line.

J

It looks like Martinas Rankin will make a start. He was playing well last year when he had an injury which cost him fourteen months. Origninally a 3rd round pick by Houston (same year and round as Nnadi and Do'D), the Chiefs acquired him for RB Carlos Hyde.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/01/kansas-city-chiefs-martinas-rankin-week-17-starter/

J

With Hill and Watkins out, the WR corps(e) looks like Robinson, Hardman, Pringle, plus ... Dieter?? Fortson?? Ffrench??

LB: Niemann out as well, I don't think they'll bring Hitchens back. So it will be Wilson (if he plays) plus the Rookie gang again ...

It's all pre-season mode obviously

Edited by KC_Guy