Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
coors

ATL Falcons Off-Season Thread 2017

30 posts in this topic

coors    13

First thread here in the new shiny Atlanta Falcons forum. Shout out to Webby and the FF staff for always being great.

It's been a while since I have frequented the forum.. but I'm baaaaack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiltman    86

Haven't kept up with the offseason for you guys, what additions did you make to get back to the super bowl?

I was surprised how good they looked last year late

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danger    31
Posted (edited)

This forum has 3 posts. :(
Eagles fans have 2 of them. Can't wait to see you Falcons fans when this is out of Beta. Still really wanted Beasley to come out the year before he did. He's a great player.

Edited by Danger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    59
On 7/20/2017 at 10:13 AM, coors said:

First thread here in the new shiny Atlanta Falcons forum. Shout out to Webby and the FF staff for always being great.

It's been a while since I have frequented the forum.. but I'm baaaaack.

Going to ask you this, what makes you believe the Falcons can replicate their success this year?  With the exception of the previous 3 seasons, the NFC South has been a division in which teams usually flipped around in terms of winning the division.  Obviously, the Falcons still have a ton of firepower offensively, but they seem like they could be due for a Super Bowl letdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scar988    7
16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Going to ask you this, what makes you believe the Falcons can replicate their success this year?  With the exception of the previous 3 seasons, the NFC South has been a division in which teams usually flipped around in terms of winning the division.  Obviously, the Falcons still have a ton of firepower offensively, but they seem like they could be due for a Super Bowl letdown.

The Falcons only real losses this year are the starting FB, the offensive coordinator (who was replaced with a guy who runs the same scheme) and Dwight freeney (who might end up coming back anyway. They have only improved their depth at linebacker, DT and should get better on the OL with Chester finally retiring. Atlanta has the potential to be an even better team in 2017 even if the offense takes a step back, because the defense should take a leap forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coors    13

What would it take to get a guy like Tamba Hali?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    59
On 7/24/2017 at 8:46 AM, scar988 said:

The Falcons only real losses this year are the starting FB, the offensive coordinator (who was replaced with a guy who runs the same scheme) and Dwight freeney (who might end up coming back anyway. They have only improved their depth at linebacker, DT and should get better on the OL with Chester finally retiring. Atlanta has the potential to be an even better team in 2017 even if the offense takes a step back, because the defense should take a leap forward.

Maybe, I guess I'm just skeptical that their production this past year was real.  Obviously, we know their offense is explosive and Matt Ryan seemed to get over the hump.  But I'm a bit leery that the defense isn't as legitimate as it looked last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scar988    7
11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe, I guess I'm just skeptical that their production this past year was real.  Obviously, we know their offense is explosive and Matt Ryan seemed to get over the hump.  But I'm a bit leery that the defense isn't as legitimate as it looked last year.

The defense had a great run from the bye until the SB. I think it will continue to improve this year as they improved at WLB, nickel, got back Desmond Trufant, and brought in Poe and McKinley. If anything, I think the offense will continue to be solid but take a step back into 29 PPG range, but the defense will get much, much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    59
1 hour ago, scar988 said:

The defense had a great run from the bye until the SB. I think it will continue to improve this year as they improved at WLB, nickel, got back Desmond Trufant, and brought in Poe and McKinley. If anything, I think the offense will continue to be solid but take a step back into 29 PPG range, but the defense will get much, much better.

And I guess that's where I'm leery about the production.  I know during the lead up to the Packers/Falcons playoff game that I felt that the defense was vulnerable, and while the Packers offense didn't get going for multiple reasons the defense played well.  They've got some really talented players on that defense in Vic Beasley and Deion Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coors    13
10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And I guess that's where I'm leery about the production.  I know during the lead up to the Packers/Falcons playoff game that I felt that the defense was vulnerable, and while the Packers offense didn't get going for multiple reasons the defense played well.  They've got some really talented players on that defense in Vic Beasley and Deion Jones.

Adding Takk and than Duke Riley to that LB list can only make the defense better.. and like scar said, we get Trufant back too. I see the offense coming back a little bit compared to last year, but I see the defense really improving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CWood21    59
Just now, coors said:

Adding Takk and than Duke Riley to that LB list can only make the defense better.. and like scar said, we get Trufant back too. I see the offense coming back a little bit compared to last year, but I see the defense really improving. 

I wasn't a huge fan of Takk coming out, always viewed him as a more high floor, low ceiling player.  Kinda like Datone Jones but a more natural pass rusher rather than that positional tweener.  Don't really see him becoming a premier pass rushing threat, but someone who settles in with seasonal averages around 8 sacks per year.  Duke Riley was a bit an undersized LB for me, a good one but one that was going to struggle in run defense.  Obviously, they're only going to go as far as Matt Ryan is going to take them and he's coming off a career year at 32 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scar988    7
1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

And I guess that's where I'm leery about the production.  I know during the lead up to the Packers/Falcons playoff game that I felt that the defense was vulnerable, and while the Packers offense didn't get going for multiple reasons the defense played well.  They've got some really talented players on that defense in Vic Beasley and Deion Jones.

There's a TON of talent on the defense. Poe, Beasley, Grady Jarrett, Hageman, McKinley up front. Riley, Jones, Campbell at LB, Trufant, Alford, Allen, Neal, Collins, Poole. Atlanta has a defense stacked with talent. They just need to put it all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scar988    7
1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Takk coming out, always viewed him as a more high floor, low ceiling player.  Kinda like Datone Jones but a more natural pass rusher rather than that positional tweener.  Don't really see him becoming a premier pass rushing threat, but someone who settles in with seasonal averages around 8 sacks per year.  Duke Riley was a bit an undersized LB for me, a good one but one that was going to struggle in run defense.  Obviously, they're only going to go as far as Matt Ryan is going to take them and he's coming off a career year at 32 years old.

He's only 31 last year and just turned 32 in may. And a lot of players have career years at QB at 31 and get better. see: Brees, Manning, Brady. etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GSUeagles14    3
On 7/26/2017 at 10:33 AM, CWood21 said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Takk coming out, always viewed him as a more high floor, low ceiling player.  Kinda like Datone Jones but a more natural pass rusher rather than that positional tweener.  Don't really see him becoming a premier pass rushing threat, but someone who settles in with seasonal averages around 8 sacks per year.  Duke Riley was a bit an undersized LB for me, a good one but one that was going to struggle in run defense.  Obviously, they're only going to go as far as Matt Ryan is going to take them and he's coming off a career year at 32 years old.

I dont see Takk as an elite pass rusher either, but if hes generating 8 sacks a year or so thats huge. Beasley needs to show it for more than a year, but he was thought of as an elite rusher coming out and he had an elite year. If youre getting 8 sacks out of Takk as a 2nd guy, dont know if you could really ask for more. As for your other concerns, the division flip flopping around the last few years is meaningless. This falcons team has kept their core together, and really hasnt lost any major pieces outside of shanahan who used to be ridiculed at times before coming to Atlanta. The offense will stay explosive, we dont even need to go over all the weapons we hve.

As far as the defense, who knows. Theyre really young and really fast, and they really came on strong last year. Is that a coincidence or is it a bunch of 1st and 2nd year guys progressing and acclimating to the NFL. They get even younger and faster with the draft, and they added a really high upside (although low floor) guy in Poe. And its not like this came out of no where, you can look at every guy in the main rotation and see they were drafted pretty early. The homer in me says it just paid off and we have a D that will continue to be on the upswing, time will only tell on that though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×