RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Raaaaaaaaaaaaaidddddduhhhhhsssss
    • Donkeys
    • Pain is unavoidable

14 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Watch us miss out on a great prospect with that one draft spot. End up with a jag 

Really, why do most posters give a F if we pick 14 or 16 or 18 or whatever?

Good teams concentrate on winning the game in the here and now rather than thinking a loss will get a better draft pick and know there are plenty of great players at virtually every pick. If one or two picks make all that much difference then we have the wrong guys picking .......... Good sides pick late but they make it count.

We just swept the Broncos despite not playing well, beat the Chiefs earlier in the season and should have swept them too and there is lots to be optimistic about. I'm not a Gruden fan (wasn't first time around) but with some simple improvements a competent FO could make we should be a contender next year. Gruden improving playcalling and RZ offense us my biggest worry, not the difference in a couple draft slots.

Apologies for the rant but I just get fed up with half the forum talking about where we'll pick and how it'll cost us if we win when picking high for the last 2 decades hasn't helped. The one HoF player we drafted we flippin' traded anyway 😁😁

23 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Good teams concentrate on winning the game in the here and now rather than thinking a loss will get a better draft pick and know there are plenty of great players at virtually every pick. If one or two picks make all that much difference then we have the wrong guys picking .......... Good sides pick late but they make it count.

We just swept the Broncos despite not playing well, beat the Chiefs earlier in the season and should have swept them too and there is lots to be optimistic about. I'm not a Gruden fan (wasn't first time around) but with some simple improvements a competent FO could make we should be a contender next year. Gruden improving playcalling and RZ offense us my biggest worry, not the difference in a couple draft slots.

Apologies for the rant but I just get fed up with half the forum talking about where we'll pick and how it'll cost us if we win when picking high for the last 2 decades hasn't helped. The one HoF player we drafted we flippin' traded anyway 😁😁

Respect. I hate this too. Losing franchise and fans bases care about draft picks. Further... they put WAY to much importance on them. Outside the top 5-10 picks, you're literally basing everything on potential. 

The best teams in the league generally draft later in the draft and develop those players better because they having winning systems and franchises they can plug young players into and excel. Raider fans are worried about draft position when this organization has not shown any stability, systems etc. for draft picks to be successful in nearly 2 decades by contrast.

Hire the right teachers first. Build a system second. Then develop your talent in it regardless of draft spots. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I want to see good football. That was ugly, sloppy football and we deserved to lose that one. winning an ugly game against a lousy team doesn’t mean much. Hopefully half the defense&oline&coaches are replaced.

Edited by Humble_Beast

39 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I want to see good football. That was ugly, sloppy football and we deserved to lose that one. winning an ugly game against a lousy team doesn’t mean much. Hopefully half the defense&oline&coaches are replaced.

This is the thing though, winning means everything!

Sure, you want to play champagne football if you can obviously but winning ugly is better than losing pretty. Winning develops culture, gives younger players confidence and you don't need high draft picks to build a great team. How many top 10 picks did the Pats have during their dynasty? The Ravens? The Steelers? The Packers? The Seahawks?

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

This is the thing though, winning means everything!

Sure, you want to play champagne football if you can obviously but winning ugly is better than losing pretty. Winning develops culture, gives younger players confidence and you don't need high draft picks to build a great team. How many top 10 picks did the Pats have during their dynasty? The Ravens? The Steelers? The Packers? The Seahawks?

You are assuming we draft like those teams. We simply don’t, which is a big reason why we always suck. The higher the pick, the greater probability of a good player for the Raiders. Can’t fault fans for wanting to see the Raiders win the draft and build a contender. Also don’t want Gruden to get a fake premise that changes don’t need to be made. 

25 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

You are assuming we draft like those teams. We simply don’t, which is a big reason why we always suck. The higher the pick, the greater probability of a good player for the Raiders. Can’t fault fans for wanting to see the Raiders win the draft and build a contender. Also don’t want Gruden to get a fake premise that changes don’t need to be made. 

No, not assuming that at all! I'm merely stating that good teams make the most of their draft slots wherever they may be. As @big_palooka says above, you must build the organisation first, get the right coaches in the builfing and draft to fit the philosophy. There's a reason why these teams keep finding gems and teams like the Jets, Jags have top 10 pick after top 10 pick and guys like Darnold flame out.

Edited by Darbsk

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

No, not assuming that at all! I'm merely stating that good teams make the most of their draft slots wherever they may be. As @big_palooka says above, you must build the organisation first, get the right coaches in the builfing and draft to fit the philosophy. There's a reason why these teams keep finding gems and teams like the Jets, Jags have top 10 pick after top 10 pick and guys like Darnold flame out.

There is also a reason the Steelers can plug WRs into their system and have them produce. Or the Ravens and their ability to plug in pass rushers who excel, then let them go in FA and to elevate the next guy. Certain organizations have a great foundation. They have a system and culture that is respected. It allows players to come in via the draft learn and earn starting spots.

Vs. teams like the Raiders who's draft picks are expected to come in, be starters and change decades of mediocrity. It's a recipe for repeated disaster as they get poor coaching, no time to learn and thrown into the fire expected to "be great".

• Like 2