Week 17: Packers at Bares

packfanfb

58 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

There isn't a qb in the league that wouldn't get their psyche thrown off somewhat if a guy drops every other bomb thrown their way.  My point, easy pass to catch and didn't happen and the game was over if caught.  He's damn good at stretching the field, if he could make those "easy" catches this offense is pretty frickin unstoppable.

We scored 5.0 points per drive last night. Against a defense allowing 1.89 (good for 7th in the league) points per drive. The offense played amazing. You're not going to score a TD every drive. There is zero need to defend Rodgers or the offensive performance after this game. 

With that said, the bolded excuse is complete bull**** and always has been. Nobody else on the damn football field gets their mistakes excused away because of their psyche being thrown off by a mistake by a teammate. 

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We scored 5.0 points per drive last night. Against a defense allowing 1.89 (good for 7th in the league) points per drive. The offense played amazing. You're not going to score a TD every drive. There is zero need to defend Rodgers or the offensive performance after this game. 

With that said, the bolded excuse is complete bull**** and always has been. Nobody else on the damn football field gets their mistakes excused away because of their psyche being thrown off by a mistake by a teammate. 

Not defending or ripping Rodgers or the offensive performance at all and wasn't my intent; you read it wrong or I didn't state it right.  Just saying that IF MVS catches the easy ones like last night  what a huge player he could be.  Every player will drop one on occasion but those perfectly thrown deep balls have to be caught and he's dropped as many as he's caught.  That has got to get better or it will cost us in the playoffs.   

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Not defending or ripping Rodgers or the offensive performance at all and wasn't my intent; you read it wrong or I didn't state it right.  Just saying that IF MVS catches the easy ones like last night  what a huge player he could be.  Every player will drop one on occasion but those perfectly thrown deep balls have to be caught and he's dropped as many as he's caught.  That has got to get better or it will cost us in the playoffs.   

He's got a drop percentage of 9.5%. Terrible? Yes. Half of them? No. 

MVS has shown that he has some decent hands on occasion .. the problem is mental.  He gets the yips on these deep balls from time to time and it costs us points.  They need to get him a sports psychologist.  I wonder what cured James Jones back in the day when he had the yips?  Hopefully it doesn't rear it's head during the playoffs.  A gaffe like the one yesterday could help cost us a ball game.

MVS is frustrating, I get that, but he's a perfect case study in why fans would be awful GMs.  The people who hammer his play or want to move on from him are doing so purely out of emotional response to his play on TV.  This offense doesn't feature WRs, and yet in a rotational role in three years in the league he's averaging 32 receptions for 574 yards and 3.3 TDs a season, to go with 15 40+ yard plays in three years.  That's 6 less 40+ yard plays than Davante Adams and Aaron Jones combined.  Sure he could be better, but that's a player you keep unless the cost gets just silly.  I don't care if he's a reliable receiver underneath; you win over the top at that rate and I'll throw reasonable stacks of cash at you all day.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

MVS is frustrating, I get that, but he's a perfect case study in why fans would be awful GMs.  The people who hammer his play or want to move on from him are doing so purely out of emotional response to his play on TV.  This offense doesn't feature WRs, and yet in a rotational role in three years in the league he's averaging 32 receptions for 574 yards and 3.3 TDs a season, to go with 15 40+ yard plays in three years.  That's 6 less 40+ yard plays than Davante Adams and Aaron Jones combined.  Sure he could be better, but that's a player you keep unless the cost gets just silly.  I don't care if he's a reliable receiver underneath; you win over the top at that rate and I'll throw reasonable stacks of cash at you all day.

he's going to be a key part of our offense in our super bowl repeat next year. He won't be dropping those balls, and Rodgers will be in MVP form again.

Gonna be fun

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

he's going to be a key part of our offense in our super bowl repeat next year. He won't be dropping those balls, and Rodgers will be in MVP form again.

Gonna be fun

God I hope you're right .. that would be frickin awesome; super bowl repeat, Rodgers MVP form and MVS catching bombs.  That would indeed by fun. 

On 1/4/2021 at 1:14 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

MVS has shown that he has some decent hands on occasion .. the problem is mental.  He gets the yips on these deep balls from time to time and it costs us points.  They need to get him a sports psychologist.  I wonder what cured James Jones back in the day when he had the yips?  Hopefully it doesn't rear it's head during the playoffs.  A gaffe like the one yesterday could help cost us a ball game.

Jordy Nelson talked about those “shot” plays... he said all he had in his mind was “I better catch this”.

Im sure many struggle with this given your running pretty much full speed and you are wide open... it messes with your head because you know it’s such a back breaker.

11 hours ago, Green19 said:

Jordy Nelson talked about those “shot” plays... he said all he had in his mind was “I better catch this”.

Im sure many struggle with this given your running pretty much full speed and you are wide open... it messes with your head because you know it’s such a back breaker.

I was listening to Aaron on the Pat McAfee show ... he said MVS needs to catch the ball above his eyes.  He let that dropped bomb get down to his waist or so.  

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I was listening to Aaron on the Pat McAfee show ... he said MVS needs to catch the ball above his eyes.  He let that dropped bomb get down to his waist or so.  

I think the term in baseball is that the ball "ate him up"...meaning it catches the player's hands in transition from palms down to palms up or vice-versa.

We've seen MVS pluck the ball gracefully above his head, fight the ball with his hands while making a catch, body catch, and doink and drop seemingly easy catches. I wondered if that inexplicable drop on Sunday was an "ate him up" situation and he just doesn't re-calculate quickly enough to flip his hands. For some reason I root for the kid, and hope we remember his dropping days fondly.

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I think the term in baseball is that the ball "ate him up"...meaning it catches the player's hands in transition from palms down to palms up or vice-versa.

Had this happen in like 6th grade on a short hop that hit me right in the face lol

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Another thing MVS does is he doesn't look the ball in.  Sterling Sharpe always said if you don't look the ball in and catch it before you begin to get YACs you're gonna drop it more often than not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That is not a good thing for someone who is 6'3