What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Until the new GM is hired I don’t think we can assume any plan is out of the question now.   Elway will have a say but ultimately the new GM will make his mark. All of the assumptions made so far were with the premise that Elway / Fangio / Shurmur were the main players.    At least 1 of those opinions is different.  

The only 2 options I would be firmly against:

1.  Going to a vet that’s declining with a future that will only diminish - Matt Ryan, Cam.   

2.  Reaching for a QB Rd1 for any QB that’s outside the top 4.   Trask sadly doesn’t have the arm talent and decision making.   Mac Jones is the bus driver on ‘Bama.  

Still torn on Lance.   But 1 & 2 are no brainers to avoid imo.    Either way I don’t think we can dismiss any option now until we know who the GM is.   An interesting offseason just got even more fascinating for us. 

Edited by Broncofan

On 1/4/2021 at 9:54 PM, thebestever6 said:

Allbright seems adamant they're gonna trade down from 10 to acquire capital for 2022 combined with the fact that if Lock isn't the guy we won't win many games.

I don't hate that you secure yourself for a plan B we'll see.

It's possible, but so hard to say anything concrete this early in the game. I would think a more realistic option is trading Von Miller for draft capital. Gotta think that's firmly on the table too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

It's possible, but so hard to say anything concrete this early in the game. I would think a more realistic option is trading Von Miller for draft capital. Gotta think that's firmly on the table too.

I could the plan to obtain as much draft capital as possible for the new GM in 2022.  

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

With Elway no longer the GM, and his outright admission there's still a rebuild in place - a Von trade is very much in play IMO.   Von's not going to take a pay cut, and EDGE is still very much in demand across the league.  Sadly, the injury and only 1 year of cost-control left, I would love to say someone will give us a 1st - but that's highly unlikely.   

What will be more interesting IMO if a trade happens, is if it's used to acquire 2021 capital, or 2022 capital.  2022 picks are devalued because teams have to wait a year, but if you're rebuilding, it shouldn't matter nearly as much.  On the flip side, 2021 capital can only help a move up if you really want someone in Rd1 from 1.9.

If Elway was the GM, I'd give it 80/20 that Von is still wearing DEN colors Week 1 2021.     WIth a new GM with a mandate to think more long-term,  Von trade is definitely more likely.   The choice of GM will matter a ton - if it's someone very close to Fangio, far less likely.   Someone more distanced to Fangio - man, it gets really interesting.

Edited by Broncofan

Pure conjecture here but the sports radio guts down here are reporting that deshaun Watson may be wanting out and started following Von, Court, Spencer, Kareem, and AJ on IG yesterday.

I know it’s a pipe dream but I’d send 2 1sts and Lock for him (and I’m on the “give lock a full off-season before we judge” team)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Pure conjecture here but the sports radio guts down here are reporting that deshaun Watson may be wanting out and started following Von, Court, Spencer, Kareem, and AJ on IG yesterday.

I know it’s a pipe dream but I’d send 2 1sts and Lock for him (and I’m on the “give lock a full off-season before we judge” team)

Man that's 100% a pipe dream but damn would it be awesome! haha. I'd easily send that and more for him.

Edit: There's also a lot of talk Fins are looking to trade down from #3 which means we could go that route as well...granted I really doubt we would due to the cost. It becomes more interesting if Von is on the table in that scenario which would make their defense insane and give us a potential QBOFT. Then again, I don't see trades happening like that happening much in the NFL (something like Von for their pick and some filler contracts)

Edited by Dbrog24

14 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

HOU hangs up on that offer without a reply.

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

That’s less than we got for Jay Cutler.

39 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Probably. Again it’s just what’s being talked about down here in south Texas 

I don't doubt DEN would make an offer for Watson if there were any chance HOU would sell, and he'd love to come here.  That offer is just way too low, that's all.    BOB isn't in town anymore lol.

Maybe if we threw in MG3 (I'm joking, just SMH'ing at the Nuk - David Johnson trade lol)....

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think you've nailed it with Von. Being totally pragmatic, he has very little to offer a young football team. It's not like he has a legendary work ethic that will rub off on the young guys or is a fantastic clubhouse leader that can inspire the kids to greatness.

He's best suited now in a Demarcus Ware role for a contending team. He can still be a game changer and should have decent trade value.

• Like 1

Re: Von, Elway was pretty adamant in his presser the other day that he wants Von to retire a Bronco. 

The new GM might have other feelings on that and, titles not withstanding, Elway is still going to have a lot of pull in that room regardless of who the new GM is. 

Here's the story with the quote. 

On Monday, Elway said he would have input on the decision with the new GM, adding: "We'd love to have Von finish his career here. He's been a great Bronco for a long, long time, and that will be one of the big decisions we have in the offseason. The goal is to get Von back and have him end his career here."

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Re: Von, Elway was pretty adamant in his presser the other day that he wants Von to retire a Bronco. 

The new GM might have other feelings on that and, titles not withstanding, Elway is still going to have a lot of pull in that room regardless of who the new GM is. 

Here's the story with the quote. 

Sounds a little bit like PR-speak to me. I'm sure they would love Von around, but I'm not sure they want him at his salary, and if an offer came that could better the team, I'm not convinced they wouldn't move on.

42 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Sounds a little bit like PR-speak to me. I'm sure they would love Von around, but I'm not sure they want him at his salary, and if an offer came that could better the team, I'm not convinced they wouldn't move on.

Maybe they can pay Von with chickens?