What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

19 hours ago, Spartacus said:

This the one point that is wrong. Rodgers has little leverage outside of Packers not being good and feeling that pressure during the season. Trading Rodgers as others have said in this forum comes at a fairly large cap hit for the Packers (Larger then him just sitting at home). He decides to retire the Packers free up a ton of cap space and still own his rights. If he sits the Packers have him under a 3 year contract and can always explore trading him next year when the cap penalty isn't nearly as high. Would probably get less in return but frankly then you may be able to get a top 10 1st round pick since the teams would know what draft place they have. It is certainly a bad situation for the Packers but Rodgers has a lot to lose by not playing ball either. 

Rodgers still has all the leverage.  

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Sooner or later the Packers will have to realize Aaron has them over a barrel and will have to just get what they can for him rather than get nothing. 

Bill Barnwell wrote today, and I don’t have the link but Sandy and Orlando discussed it on The Fan this morning, he says the deal could be Drew Lock + Tim Patrick + 2022 and 2023 1sts. I would be elated with that deal. 

I still think Teddy is more likely as he’d be a better bridge/mentor to Love but Green Bay could prefer Lock’s upside and his fit in LaFleur’s offense, which is a Shanahan offense. 

That is a steal of a deal. Sheesh 

The Packers have had 29 straight years of Hall of Fame QB play and only appeared in 3 SBs.  

The only way I can explain it is that has to be the worst well managed organization in sports, maybe even in sports history. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

That is a steal of a deal. Sheesh 

Barnwell isn’t that plugged in. I think he’s just spitballing.   If Klis / Renck / Allbright or one if the usual national suspects called it I’d put more weight behind their stated offer.  I just think Barnwell might be a closet Denver fan LOL. 

23 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Sooner or later the Packers will have to realize Aaron has them over a barrel and will have to just get what they can for him rather than get nothing. 

Bill Barnwell wrote today, and I don’t have the link but Sandy and Orlando discussed it on The Fan this morning, he says the deal could be Drew Lock + Tim Patrick + 2022 and 2023 1sts. I would be elated with that deal. 

I still think Teddy is more likely as he’d be a better bridge/mentor to Love but Green Bay could prefer Lock’s upside and his fit in LaFleur’s offense, which is a Shanahan offense. 

That's an AWFUL package for the reigning MVP.  Like you said it yourself, you're elated to make that deal, which means that it's good of a package for the Broncos.  You don't trade "extra pieces" for a top 2 player in the NFL.  Drew Lock has virtually zero value other than as maybe a potential flier.  There's value in Teddy Bridgwater as a bridge QB, plus he's unnecessary with Rodgers around.  Tim Patrick is a fringe roster spot at this point.  He's not passing Davante Adams, MVS, or Allen Lazard at this point given where they are in LaFleur's system.  Given the fact that Packers took Amari Rodgers in the 3rd round, I think he's about as close to being a safe roster spot.

So...it essentially comes down to a '22 FRP and a '23 FRP for Rodgers effectively.  Stafford just went for 2 FRPs, and Rodgers is better and comes with significantly less injury concerns.  Wentz went for a 3rd round pick this year plus a conditional pick next year, and he doesn't belong in the same breath as Rodgers.  Barring an injury to Rodgers, that Broncos pick is likely in that 24-32 range this year.  The following year is a bit more volatile but they're likely still a playoff team.  That's essentially two late FRPs for making the Broncos a Super Bowl contender.  That's poor value.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's an AWFUL package for the reigning MVP.  Like you said it yourself, you're elated to make that deal, which means that it's good of a package for the Broncos.  You don't trade "extra pieces" for a top 2 player in the NFL.  Drew Lock has virtually zero value other than as maybe a potential flier.  There's value in Teddy Bridgwater as a bridge QB, plus he's unnecessary with Rodgers around.  Tim Patrick is a fringe roster spot at this point.  He's not passing Davante Adams, MVS, or Allen Lazard at this point given where they are in LaFleur's system.  Given the fact that Packers took Amari Rodgers in the 3rd round, I think he's about as close to being a safe roster spot.

So...it essentially comes down to a '22 FRP and a '23 FRP for Rodgers effectively.  Stafford just went for 2 FRPs, and Rodgers is better and comes with significantly less injury concerns.  Wentz went for a 3rd round pick this year plus a conditional pick next year, and he doesn't belong in the same breath as Rodgers.  Barring an injury to Rodgers, that Broncos pick is likely in that 24-32 range this year.  The following year is a bit more volatile but they're likely still a playoff team.  That's essentially two late FRPs for making the Broncos a Super Bowl contender.  That's poor value.

I just shared what I had heard. I didn’t say that’s the offer we will make, or should make, or one that the Packers would accept. Just repeated back what was discussed on one of the (few) credible radio shows in the Denver market. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

sounds good to me

I honestly have a hard time plugging in the value.  You start with adding the Broncos' 2022 and 2023 FPRs and work from there.  I believe Courtland Sutton has been mentioned as a potential trade chip, but I'm skeptical that the Packers want a WR coming off a torn ACL and is going to need an extension soon.  I think Jerry Jeudy is going to be the WR that the Packers would want.  I know Packers' fans have asked for Fant AND Jeudy, but Denver doesn't want to deplete their receiving corps and Rodgers wouldn't be happy either.  I think '22 FRP, '23 FRP, '24 SRP, and Jeudy for Rodgers is what the Packers are likely wanting.  Obviously, Bridgewater likely would be added.  I know there was some hope in the Packers' forum that they could get a Surtain/Stokes swap, but that seems Madden-esque at best.

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

I just shared what I had heard. I didn’t say that’s the offer we will make, or should make, or one that the Packers would accept. Just repeated back what was discussed on one of the (few) credible radio shows in the Denver market. 

Just merely pointing out that it's clearly a Broncos' talkshow spitballing an offer.  It's really not a legitimate offer when you actually break it down.  That's essentially the Stafford package without the question of Jared Goff's value involved.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

No kidding.  The Packers are going to want effectively 3+ FRP worth of value.

...from a QB-needy team likely to be drafting early in 2022, even with Aaron Rodgers at QB in 2021, yes.  Not a huge market.

Maybe they can trade with Houston? :)

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just merely pointing out that it's clearly a Broncos' talkshow spitballing an offer.  It's really not a legitimate offer when you actually break it down.  That's essentially the Stafford package without the question of Jared Goff's value involved.

The Barnwell story is behind a paywall so I can’t access it. But I have heard the possibility of a Stokes/Surtain swap being part of a potential deal from several sources. 

FWIW, I’m personal friends with one of the Broncos top beat writers and he thinks 3 1sts, one of which could be a 1st round picked player (Jeudy and Surtain both mentioned), plus one of our QBs and maybe something extra would be what it likely will take.

He also thinks, personally, it’s 95% Rodgers is dealt and the Broncos are where he lands. This isn’t an internet scrub “reporter” either, but a very, very plugged-in beat reporter from a major outlet. 

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I honestly have a hard time plugging in the value.  You start with adding the Broncos' 2022 and 2023 FPRs and work from there.  I believe Courtland Sutton has been mentioned as a potential trade chip, but I'm skeptical that the Packers want a WR coming off a torn ACL and is going to need an extension soon.  I think Jerry Jeudy is going to be the WR that the Packers would want.  I know Packers' fans have asked for Fant AND Jeudy, but Denver doesn't want to deplete their receiving corps and Rodgers wouldn't be happy either.  I think '22 FRP, '23 FRP, '24 SRP, and Jeudy for Rodgers is what the Packers are likely wanting.  Obviously, Bridgewater likely would be added.  I know there was some hope in the Packers' forum that they could get a Surtain/Stokes swap, but that seems Madden-esque at best.

Can't see your "wish list" happening, that's more than 3 FRP you're asking for...but you want the Sky, we're offering a patch of grass. All very moot until we get get closer to June 2 IMO, that's when things will get interesting. In the mean time we'll just have to see how much contempt will rise between GB and Rodgers  and how Barnwell's offer looks then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Can't see your "wish list" happening, that's more than 3 FRP you're asking for...but you want the Sky, we're offering a patch of grass. All very moot until we get get closer to June 2 IMO, that's when things will get interesting. In the mean time we'll just have to see how much contempt will rise between GB and Rodgers  and how Barnwell's offer looks then. 

I’m going to go crazy over the next month....

• Like 3