What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Sounds a little bit like PR-speak to me. I'm sure they would love Von around, but I'm not sure they want him at his salary, and if an offer came that could better the team, I'm not convinced they wouldn't move on.

I think the continuity Von brings on the field and in the eyes of casual fans is really important. He seemed ready to step into a leadership role this past offseason, finally, as well. IMO it would take a pretty sweet offer to get Denver to move him. He is the bridge to our glory years. He needs to take a paycut, but I think he will. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Sounds a little bit like PR-speak to me. I'm sure they would love Von around, but I'm not sure they want him at his salary, and if an offer came that could better the team, I'm not convinced they wouldn't move on.

I don’t think they can auction him off to the highest bidder. The imaging matters with a legendary franchise guy like Von. Elway & co have not done a great job of showing “we take care of our own” and are developing a bit of a reputation. It’s one thing w/ Emmanuel Sanders-types but Von is the only lasting marketable guys we’ve had since Peyton.

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

I don’t think they can auction him off to the highest bidder. The imaging matters with a legendary franchise guy like Von. Elway & co have not done a great job of showing “we take care of our own” and are developing a bit of a reputation. It’s one thing w/ Emmanuel Sanders-types but Von is the only lasting marketable guys we’ve had since Peyton.

In that regard, it’s better that he’s only got one year left on his deal. Only contenders are gonna be interested, so any trade made will look like he’s going to a proper destination. 

21 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I know it’s not happening but it’s so fun to dream about this WR core w/ someone like DW

If there's a guy you're willing to give up 3 1sts for, it's him.   Sadly the price tag apparently starts with 3 1st & 3 2nd's AND a young cheap good player.....it's not a crazy price tag for HOU, given how young he is, and what he's done so far.    For him to play as well as he did with the OL struggling (the Tunsil trade has been an unmitigated disaster, given MIA got 2 1sts...and the 2nd 1st is going to be 1.3), and no Nuk Hopkins, it shows how special he is.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I know it’s not happening but it’s so fun to dream about this WR core w/ someone like DW

I really cannot believe that Houston, after the disaster that was the BoB reign to actually double down on the Patriot Way. If I was Watson, I’d demand a trade too. It’s all due to Easterby, hiring his buddies from NE; it’s as predictable as the tides. 

5 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Watson time ?

From all accounts, it likely would costs 3 1sts, maybe 3 2nds...and a young player who's cheap (for us, that's easy - Lock).

Honestly, it's not a crazy scenario to consider (would ideally love to keep it to 3 1sts & Lock - but I suspect HOU would say no quite easily).

Apparently this is all because HOU promised they'd keep Watson involved in the HC/GM search - and then promptly hired GM Caserio without any consultation.    Holy **** HOU.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

From all accounts, it likely would costs 3 1sts, maybe 3 2nds...and a young player who's cheap (for us, that's easy - Lock).

Honestly, it's not a crazy scenario to consider (would ideally love to keep it to 3 1sts & Lock - but I suspect HOU would say no quite easily).

Apparently this is all because HOU promised they'd keep Watson involved in the HC/GM search - and then promptly hired GM Caserio without any consultation.    Holy **** HOU.

One of Sutton, Jeudy, or Hamler oughta knock the price down a bit. 

Heck no to this I don't question the talent guys probably closest thing too Micheal Jordan in the NFL besides PaT Mahomes.

But all those assets 3 firsts and three seconds and I'm sure he'd want that kind of power here. I don't know how that dynamic would work and am uncomfortable going all in on him as the face of the franchise player slash gm.

51 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

i'd do that yesterday lol 

Interesting idea. Watson would be great to have. 

Quite a commitment though if you consider 3 1sts and 3 2nds. Also, he's only cheap for one more year. After that he's a $40 million dollar man. 

As interesting as it is I,  only in the long run, 5 + years from now would it really pay off. We're not deep enough in talent to miss out on 6 high picks in the next three years and be competitive, regardless who our QB is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Interesting idea. Watson would be great to have. 

Quite a commitment though if you consider 3 1sts and 3 2nds. Also, he's only cheap for one more year. After that he's a $40 million dollar man. 

As interesting as it is I,  only in the long run, 5 + years from now would it really pay off. We're not deep enough in talent to miss out on 6 high picks in the next three years and be competitive, regardless who our QB is.

Three 1sts SEEMs like a lot but wouldn’t we swap our last three 1sts (Jeudy, Fant, and Chubb) for him in .5 seconds? And those were good drafts, comparatively. 

Edited by bMiller031

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Three 1sts SEEMs like a lot but wouldn’t we swap our last three 1sts (Jeudy, Fant, and Chubb) for him in .5 seconds? And those were good drafts, comparatively. 

Add in the three 2nds. Now we're adding Sutton, Risner and Hamler also. Thats 5 quality starters, 2 pro bowlers and an exciting rookie in Hamler. I'm glad thats a decision I never have to make.