What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

A 1st, and either Surtain or Von Miller. Not a dime more. 

That wont get it done. 

2 1st and one of the 2 young guys up for an extension (I would go Sutton, I think Patrick can give 80% of his production at a much cheaper AV). Probably Teddy as well for their bridge QB. 

2 1st, Sutton and Teddy for Rogers. Its not cheap, but 3+ years of top tier QB play is worth it. We have the talent to win right now if we improve the QB position drastically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

A 1st, and either Surtain or Von Miller. Not a dime more. 

Would think it’d have to be Surtain/Chubb/Sutton/etc. Not sure what 1 expensive year of Von in his 30s does for GB in a rebuild.

20 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Would think it’d have to be Surtain/Chubb/Sutton/etc. Not sure what 1 expensive year of Von in his 30s does for GB in a rebuild.

IMO if you're getting Rodgers you hold onto Von, playoff Von + Rodgers might make some serious noise, even if neither of them are what they used to be.

If you move Von due to cap restrictions or whatever I think you send him to like Tampa Bay for their first and flip that to GB

12 hours ago, anewdawn said:

Now we know why pot shouldn't be legalized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao  His offensive line was decimated.  It reminds me of us facing the Seahawks in the superbowl.  We were so fn banged up it was pathetic.  Don't fool yourself stopping Mahomes is no easy task.  Wait and see.  This team needs to score 30 points a game on average in our division.  I think we are a 7-10 win team and I don't think that's a good thing.............. 

Being a little obtuse again,  if you didn't see that putting intense pressure while  eliminating his time to throw worked quite well against Mahomes then I don't know what you saw in the SB. Granted, his Oline was hurting but it still showed how frazzled he can get, he doesn't appear to be Superman anymore. If you noticed our games last year vs. the Chefs, we were one of the better defenses against them, and we did get better on that side of the ball this offseason so I'm expecting better results. That said, I agree we WILL need to score more points than we did last year, our offense seemed anemic much of the season but Sutton and AOK will return, our Oline should be better if James gets and stays on the field and Javonte Williams will bring more balance to our running game, hopefully. Will it be enough ?? I'm not a psychic but I am a bit more optimistic than YOU.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

IMO if you're getting Rodgers you hold onto Von, playoff Von + Rodgers might make some serious noise, even if neither of them are what they used to be.

If you move Von due to cap restrictions or whatever I think you send him to like Tampa Bay for their first and flip that to GB

Sending Von to TB so Brady can keep winning, terrible strategy. If anything, send Von to another team in the NFC South so he can tee off on Brady.

Edited by The Helicopter
  • Like 1

Yeah the Packers aren't going to want expensive, past-their-prime veterans, they'll want young pieces to build around. The only exception I think would be Teddy B just because he would serve as a good mentor and/or bridge for Love. 

The other thing to remember is that if we land Rodgers we will benefit from the same type of free agent surge we got when Peyton landed here, some key pieces to fill the voids left by the player(s) we might have to include in a package, e.g. Chubb, Sutton, Jeudy, Surtain, etc., could be offset with a few some tread on the tires veterans who want to chase a ring and will take something of a discount to come here. 

10 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I'm just curious why you think he has 3-5 years of quality football left in him.

How long did Peyton play ?? And how old was Tom Brady this last year ? Not unprecedent for QB's to play well into their 40's and Rodgers hasn't really had any major injuries recently or throughout his career. 

16 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Being a little obtuse again,  if you didn't see that putting intense pressure while  eliminating his time to throw worked quite well against Mahomes then I don't know what you saw in the SB. Granted, his Oline was hurting but it still showed how frazzled he can get, he doesn't appear to be Superman anymore. If you noticed our games last year vs. the Chefs, we were one of the better defenses against them, and we did get better on that side of the ball this offseason so I'm expecting better results. That said, I agree we WILL need to score more points than we did last year, our offense seemed anemic much of the season but Sutton and AOK will return, our Oline should be better if James gets and stays on the field and Javonte Williams will bring more balance to our running game, hopefully. Will it be enough ?? I'm not a psychic but I am a bit more optimistic than YOU.

Sorry for my obtuseness, my apologies.  You may be right as it appears heavy D is the direction the FO went with.  Just have strong doubts but who the hell am I.  I hope whatever we do it works out.  But re the SB I think you have to acknowledge that Mahomes OL was a shell of itself.  They have now really addressed those issues in a major major way.  God how I hate the chiefs!!  I'll believe in their decline when I see it.  

11 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

Sorry for my obtuseness, my apologies.  You may be right as it appears heavy D is the direction the FO went with.  Just have strong doubts but who the hell am I.  I hope whatever we do it works out.  But re the SB I think you have to acknowledge that Mahomes OL was a shell of itself.  They have now really addressed those issues in a major major way.  God how I hate the chiefs!!  I'll believe in their decline when I see it.  

Man, it's all good, we're both an the same/right side. My concern is our pass rush, do we have the same type pressure we can apply as the Bucs did, and as you pointed out, against an upgraded Chiefs Oline ? While I think we will have the talent in our secondary to slow down and cover their receivers, will it be enough time to allow out Front 7 to get to Mahomes. Let's be honest, while Chubb and Von will get some sacks, Harris/Purcell/Jones aren't exactly known as sack masters. And you hate the Chiefs, I have relatives living in KC as well as several friends here that turned Red-coat (yes, pun intended). MAn, I'm hoping for Rodgers to at least come steal away 2-3 of those SB years from Mahomes.

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Man, it's all good, we're both an the same/right side. My concern is our pass rush, do we have the same type pressure we can apply as the Bucs did, and as you pointed out, against an upgraded Chiefs Oline ? While I think we will have the talent in our secondary to slow down and cover their receivers, will it be enough time to allow out Front 7 to get to Mahomes. Let's be honest, while Chubb and Von will get some sacks, Harris/Purcell/Jones aren't exactly known as sack masters. And you hate the Chiefs, I have relatives living in KC as well as several friends here that turned Red-coat (yes, pun intended). MAn, I'm hoping for Rodgers to at least come steal away 2-3 of those SB years from Mahomes.

So agree re the defence.  It just seems to me they are a bend but not break defence.  Likely as you pointed out due to the front.  I wanted a big good DT in this draft but maybe that was just a pipe dream.  Anyway my point is that this defence being a bend but not break one seems to be on the field a lot due to itself.  Hopefully the offence can control the ball this year and at least get them the rest they need.  I loved the Williams pick.  He is premiere and with MG III we should be really able to run it.  Crap with a qb we should be able to pass too.  I know it hasn't looked good in a long time but I think the pieces to be a real good offence are there.  Hopefully we make some strides this year.   

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

How long did Peyton play ?? And how old was Tom Brady this last year ? Not unprecedent for QB's to play well into their 40's and Rodgers hasn't really had any major injuries recently or throughout his career. 

Not unprecedented but incredibly rare, like just one guy, Brady that won a ring past 39. PM fell off a cliff between 38/39. 

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Not unprecedented but incredibly rare, like just one guy, Brady that won a ring past 39. PM fell off a cliff between 38/39. 

Aaron hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down, however. Add in the fact that he would be EXTREMELY motivated if he came here and it’s a gamble I’m willing take, even with him being 37. If we get 2 years of last year’s MVP and another season or two of a slightly less scintillating version, I’d consider that capital well spent. 

Think of it this way, if it’s two firsts and one of our young studs, is that worth 3-4 years of being a legit Super Bowl contender before we have to rebuild in 2025? To me, the answer is an emphatic yes. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Aaron hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down, however. Add in the fact that he would be EXTREMELY motivated if he came here and it’s a gamble I’m willing take, even with him being 37. If we get 2 years of last year’s MVP and another season or two of a slightly less scintillating version, I’d consider that capital well spent. 

Think of it this way, if it’s two firsts and one of our young studs, is that worth 3-4 years of being a legit Super Bowl contender before we have to rebuild in 2025? To me, the answer is an emphatic yes. 

I'd say the only other consideration is Rodgers also is wanting his contract revisited. Depending on what he's asking for, it could sway how much we're willing to give up. Here's to hoping he just wants guaranteed money and is willing to take a slight discount on the top dollar to help us keep/sign players. 

26 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I'd say the only other consideration is Rodgers also is wanting his contract revisited. Depending on what he's asking for, it could sway how much we're willing to give up. Here's to hoping he just wants guaranteed money and is willing to take a slight discount on the top dollar to help us keep/sign players. 

Rogers has a $37 million cap number this year and $39 million next. That's $30 million more than we're spending on all 3 of our QB's.

We'd immediately go from a nice cap surplus to over the cap.