What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Rodgers is 37 and coming off an MVP season. Three more high quality seasons isn’t out of the question at all. Favre played in a more physical NFL and had one of his best seasons at 40.  Brees was an All-Pro at 39. We’ve seen what Brady’s done. It’s just easier now.

Aaron Rodgers makes this the best team in football. I’d rather gamble on his age than gamble on Drew Lock ever being good enough to lead this team to a title. I’m not even convinced he’ll ever be better than an average starter.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

Contracts can always be re-worked. Elway/Sullivan did what it took to get Peyton here and then signed Ward, Ware, Talib and Sanders, extended DT, resigned Harris and Wolfe at fair value.

The cap is going to skyrocket going forward, this year it might be a little lean but you make due. I know Aaron might be a little more money interested than Peyton but we’ll figure it out. 

The money shouldn’t, and from everything I’ve read/heard, won’t be a deciding factor.

14 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Rogers has a $37 million cap number this year and $39 million next. That's $30 million more than we're spending on all 3 of our QB's.

We'd immediately go from a nice cap surplus to over the cap.

You bring in the QB who will boost your offense by roughly a touchdown per game and figure out the money later. The elite QBs attract good players taking less money to compete too.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Rogers has a $37 million cap number this year and $39 million next. That's $30 million more than we're spending on all 3 of our QB's.

Becomes even more precarious with the ownership situation. However, where there's a will, there's a way.

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Becomes even more precarious with the ownership situation. However, where there's a will, there's a way.

If i was new ownership and was going to spend $2 billion+ on a team, I'd be happy knowing the first couple years the squad would be SB contenders.

However I'm about 2 billion short of that so....

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Rodgers' bonus money stays with Green Bay.   The cap hit isn't what teams take on in a trade. 

Any team trading for A-Rod takes on the following money, the 31.5M bonus money stays with the Packers:

24M+ for 2021

25.5M for 2022

25.5M for 2023

The reason why Green Bay is likely to trade A-Rod post-June 1 - they have to take on 31.5M in dead cap money from the bonus money they paid out, but if they do it after June 1, it gets spread out over 2021 & 2022's cap for them.

Don't use cap hits each time you bring up salaries with cutting/trade decisions - the bonus money is the team's butcher's bill for saving cap space in earlier years with big bonuses that push the cap hit down the line.   It's completely irrelevant in trade/cut decisions, until you take out the bonus money (much like how the Von decision wasn't about the 2021 22.2M+ total cap hit, but about the 18M Denver could save - the other 4.2M+ was on Elway for his misguided 2018 restructure to free up 13M to pay Clinton McDonald, Jared Veldheer & Tramaine Brock).

At A-Rod's level of play - those are absolute bargain salaries.   It's just making the argument to support going after A-Rod.  The only real Q is the price - and at age 37, and GB having a lot less leverage with A-Rod since he has a viable retirement plan income-wise (crazy that Jeopardy hosts pays 10M a year, but it is what it is), the price likely seems a mix between Stafford's (2 likely late firsts) and Wilson/Watson's offers (3 firsts & a young player, and back then, 1.9 was part of the equation).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

I'll also say this - ppl who argued for not trading 1sts for Watson, Stafford, or Fields, etc. - said, "let's make the team better with this draft, and if need be, let's upgrade QB next year".

Well, now you get the best of both worlds - Paton didn't spend on QB when 1.9's value is obviously very high - but instead, we're likely paying with picks that are in the 20's.

Take a long hard look at the success rate with picks in the 20's - not just Elway, but overall.  The whiff rate goes WAY up.    I get the concern about mortgaging the future, I get the concern about how long A-Rod can stay at peak level of play.   

But let's also not confuse the picks that have yielded great results - when we're picking in the top 5-10 range.  The whiff rate is a LOT lower.    By not including 1.9, the cost is a lot lower if we have to deal 2 1sts that are likely in the 20's, and a player who is going to get expensive (I favor Sutton as well over Chubb, simply because we have a decent X substitute in Patrick, who will likely be 1/3 as expensive to keep as well - roster construction matters).    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I've never seen someone so reluctant to upgrade at QB lol.

As has been said, GB will eat a good chunk of today so we'd be paying around 25mil aav for a QB coming off an MVP season. Not to mention the cascade effect bringing him in would do on regards up bringing in talented FA at a possible discount ala tampa bay with Brady/Peyton manning in Denver.

Comparing him to zombie Peyton, who dropped off a cliff his last year here, is apples and oranges. Peyton was never a physical freak by any means and that was exacerbated by his neck injury which pmuch sucked any juice he had left in his arm. Rogers at 75% is still better than half the league from a physical standpoint. 

• Like 1

I was very willing to include either Sutton or Chubb in a Watson deal, since that trade would’ve been a real long term play. Winning a SB in year one or two wasn’t a must. A Rodgers trade is very different. Just like I was vehemently against spending a 2nd rounder on a QB after signing Manning, I couldn’t possibly get behind using a win-now piece to get Rodgers. Getting Rodgers is about maximizing the 2021-23 window, and you can’t do that by trading away Sutton or Chubb. Two 1st’s, Hamler, plus whatever we could get for Lock is about as far as I’d go. 

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The money shouldn’t, and from everything I’ve read/heard, won’t be a deciding factor.

I agree - it all really comes down to if Rodgers wants to come to Denver or not. I am sure that GB will attempt to get him back in the fold but it may be a case of all those bridges being burnt. 

Rodgers has all the leverage - he can threaten to retire which will result in GB getting nothing for him - and as a result can force a trade to where ever he wants to go. GB can't demand over the top in compensation - because the retirement threat comes back into play if they do.

If Rodgers coming to Denver is an option then Paton has to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

If Paton fails to get Rodgers - after failing to take Fields when he fell into his lap (and failing to take the Bears offer for a trade down) - then he should to be canned sooner rather than later. It is rare that you get two bites at the cherry in the NFL and if you fail with both you do not deserve to be a GM.

• Like 1

I suspect the player demanded by GB might be Jeudy rather than Sutton - Sutton has one year left on his contract and could walk out of GB after that - Jeudy has potentially four years left on a rookie contract. I would be okay with that. I think Jeudy's immaturity could come back to bite him in the *** at some point. 

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I suspect the player demanded by GB might be Jeudy rather than Sutton - Sutton has one year left on his contract and could walk out of GB after that - Jeudy has potentially four years left on a rookie contract. I would be okay with that. I think Jeudy's immaturity could come back to bite him in the *** at some point. 

Jeudy would be off the list.  He simply does things that other receivers don’t - beat CB’s to create separation. 

I know the drops were frustrating.  But Ceedee Lamb matched him in drops.  Diontae Johnson led the league.   All 3 have special talent to separate and all 3 it’s not bad hands that are unfixeable (Sammy Coates).   The other teams see the guys as core players to build on  Jeudy is no different.  

If you want to win consistently on O keep the guys who separate.   Sutton / Patrick do the same role.   Obv Sutton has more trade value but if the trade happens Paton dealing there is the way to go.   Patrick being included instead with more pick value is obv ok but Sutton is preferable to Jeudy, being expensive after 2021 and post ACL (which caps his 2021 ceiling - long term he’s fine but until 18 months the full explosion isn’t back).  

Put another way - if it’s between a 1st round pick likely in the 20’s or Jeudy - deal the pick.   Rodgers being 37 puts GB where they won’t give him away - but holding out for their ideal isn’t working either - especially as A-Rod’s situation with retirement  / Jeopardy 10M+ per year salary allows him to pick his preferred spot. 

Edited by Broncofan

16 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

If i was new ownership and was going to spend $2 billion+ on a team, I'd be happy knowing the first couple years the squad would be SB contenders.

However I'm about 2 billion short of that so....

At least you have the +

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 5:14 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Crazy that a lot of us have been talking Broncos here for 15 years. 

Can't believe i missed the throwback chat. And it is really cool to see @ClockWorkOrange back. Although I think your hey-day was really the McD era and I kinda logged off from 2010-2012 or so (freshman-junior years of college or something like that)

We've all had a crazy run man. Kinda wild that the website even exits with SBnation and twitter etc. But this is BY FAR the best broncos discussion and info you can get. I started posting on here when I was 14 and I'm damn near 30 now lol. Crazy. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Can't believe i missed the throwback chat. And it is really cool to see @ClockWorkOrange back. Although I think your hey-day was really the McD era and I kinda logged off from 2010-2012 or so (freshman-junior years of college or something like that)

We've all had a crazy run man. Kinda wild that the website even exits with SBnation and twitter etc. But this is BY FAR the best broncos discussion and info you can get. I started posting on here when I was 14 and I'm damn near 30 now lol. Crazy. 

I found this forum before the 2006 draft and god I wanted Vince Young haha.   15 years here and I agree best Broncos content around

• Like 3