What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

53 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I found this forum before the 2006 draft and god I wanted Vince Young haha.   15 years here and I agree best Broncos content around

I remember my first post was about Daniel Graham being a great signing lmao 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Rodgers has all the leverage - he can threaten to retire

This the one point that is wrong. Rodgers has little leverage outside of Packers not being good and feeling that pressure during the season. Trading Rodgers as others have said in this forum comes at a fairly large cap hit for the Packers (Larger then him just sitting at home). He decides to retire the Packers free up a ton of cap space and still own his rights. If he sits the Packers have him under a 3 year contract and can always explore trading him next year when the cap penalty isn't nearly as high. Would probably get less in return but frankly then you may be able to get a top 10 1st round pick since the teams would know what draft place they have. It is certainly a bad situation for the Packers but Rodgers has a lot to lose by not playing ball either. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

This the one point that is wrong. Rodgers has little leverage outside of Packers not being good and feeling that pressure during the season. Trading Rodgers as others have said in this forum comes at a fairly large cap hit for the Packers (Larger then him just sitting at home). He decides to retire the Packers free up a ton of cap space and still own his rights. If he sits the Packers have him under a 3 year contract and can always explore trading him next year when the cap penalty isn't nearly as high. Would probably get less in return but frankly then you may be able to get a top 10 1st round pick since the teams would know what draft place they have. It is certainly a bad situation for the Packers but Rodgers has a lot to lose by not playing ball either. 

Probably a fair assessment there, a couple notes, perhaps you can correct me if I am in err. Even if Rodgers retires opening up the Cap space, with the onset of Free Agency having past, the quality of players you're looking at would be best served by rolling it over to NEXT year. And without Rodgers, does Green Bay look nearly as good to free agents as they do with him ?? And the position he just sits (and hosts Jeopardy  at the $10M fee (not sure he'd get what Trebek was making)), wouldn't that Cap Hold still be on the Packers Cap, at the full $30M-something , that seems like a huge detriment (and adds to the leverage Rodgers holds) to the Pack while, as you pointed out, lowering his trade value.. 

Edited by Cutler06

17 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Probably a fair assessment there, a couple notes, perhaps you can correct me if I am in err. Even if Rodgers retires opening up the Cap space, with the onset of Free Agency having past, the quality of players you're looking at would be best served by rolling it over to NEXT year. And without Rodgers, does Green Bay look nearly as good to free agents as they do with him ?? And the position he just sits (and hosts Jeopardy  at the $10M fee (not sure he'd get what Trebek was making)), wouldn't that Cap Hold still be on the Packers Cap, at the full $30M-something , that seems like a huge detriment (and adds to the leverage Rodgers holds) to the Pack while, as you pointed out, lowering his trade value.. 

If Rodgers were to sit out and it counts against GB cap for 2021 it is a wash on the finances vs if he plays.

If the cap holds from 2021 into 2022 on him sitting out, the cap hit is more tolerable with an expected cap increase in 2022.  Not sure on the rollover option of the 2021 part.   Does Rodgers go onto a "did not report list" and how does that work with salary cap accounting process.    (Leveon Bell situation when he sat out a few years ago)

• Like 1

Sooner or later the Packers will have to realize Aaron has them over a barrel and will have to just get what they can for him rather than get nothing. 

Bill Barnwell wrote today, and I don’t have the link but Sandy and Orlando discussed it on The Fan this morning, he says the deal could be Drew Lock + Tim Patrick + 2022 and 2023 1sts. I would be elated with that deal. 

I still think Teddy is more likely as he’d be a better bridge/mentor to Love but Green Bay could prefer Lock’s upside and his fit in LaFleur’s offense, which is a Shanahan offense. 

• Like 1

In theory it makes more sense to send Teddy. But it was also reported that the Packers were going to take Lock at 44 before the Broncos traded up. Would they still be interested after drafting Love? Who knows but they liked him in 2019.

From NFL Now on @nflnetwork: On @BobMcGinn’s “Krause” report and Aaron Rodgers’ warning #Packers prospective free agents for quite some time he wasn’t expecting to be back in Green Bay in 2021.
The above is from Mike Garafolo

It seems this may be getting uglier than it already is.  If this kind of stuff is being leaked out it looks like it's only a matter of time re his trade .  If I was a GB fan I'd be pretty damn upset with AROD.  Not sure which side leaked this out but I think it does real damage.  Imagine AROD working the phone and telling potential Packers to be - "hey you might want to rethink about going to GB as I won't be there."  Yikes

42 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Sooner or later the Packers will have to realize Aaron has them over a barrel and will have to just get what they can for him rather than get nothing. 

Bill Barnwell wrote today, and I don’t have the link but Sandy and Orlando discussed it on The Fan this morning, he says the deal could be Drew Lock + Tim Patrick + 2022 and 2023 1sts. I would be elated with that deal. 

I still think Teddy is more likely as he’d be a better bridge/mentor to Love but Green Bay could prefer Lock’s upside and his fit in LaFleur’s offense, which is a Shanahan offense. 

how does Rodgers have GB over a barrel?

Rodgers sits, GB is without him and gets no financial cap savings

Rodgers retires, GB is without him and gets financial cap savings

Rodgers is traded, GB is without him and takes on $1M more in cap charge for 2021

In all 3 scenarios, GB is without Rodgers.  Rodgers retiring is the best from a financial standpoint.  Trading Rodgers is the best from an assets acquisition standpoint.  

Comes down to is the asset acquisition worth it in return when the loss of Rodgers on the roster and the cap implications are similar in the scenarios of Rodgers sitting vs being traded.  

On 5/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, anewdawn said:

ulation as to what we offer.  Stuff like this and man it's a lot.  Not sure it ends up being enough.  Carr coming over wo

Bringing it back I believe many of my first post were pumping up Alex Smith over Rodgers, so this is fun 😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jonnyj20 said:

Bringing it back I believe many of my first post were pumping up Alex Smith over Rodgers, so this is fun 😂

Dude same! I went back to the old site and looked it up. I joined 6 Feb 05 and my first post was suggesting we trade Trevor Pryce and 25 to the cowboys for 12 to get Alex Smith(who I thought was the better player but would fall because of the “Tedford effect” 😂

• Like 2

They know it's over. He's gone. The question now is will Denver be willing to do what it takes to land him, knowing their biggest competition is a division rival? This was discussed in relation to Watson a few months ago IIRC. Raises the stakes some. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

They know it's over. He's gone. The question now is will Denver be willing to do what it takes to land him, knowing their biggest competition is a division rival? This was discussed in relation to Watson a few months ago IIRC. Raises the stakes some. 

I know I may be talking crazy but our team is pretty loaded at qb if Raiders trade for Rodgers and give up a haul I really wouldn't mind Carr may actually prefer him tbh. He's 7 to 8 years younger I think you get him way cheaper and I think this team is oozing enough talent to make carr look wayyyy better than he is. 

Fant sutton Jeudy hamler patrick Gordon williams top 12 ish oline top 5 defense.

Let's he real the raiders defense has been the biggest reason the Raiders come up short .