What to do at QB?

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 minute ago, broncofan48 said:

If teddy can’t beat out Lock he’s not much of an upgrade.  You seem confident that Lock will make a jump but there’s plenty of players who haven’t.  

If you think Lock can make a Josh Allen style jump that’s fine, but I don’t and if he doesn’t we are right back to square 1 - needing a QB to compete in this division and conference 

If Teddy doesn't win the job then Drews' made the jump.

Also, we've got a bit of a different perspective here, IE: how to compete in the division. Trying to outscore KC and the Chargers offensively is kind of a losing proposition. We won't find a Mahomes or Hebert.

Putting an excellent defense on the field and a methodical, physical, ball control offense stands a better chance IMO. That's also what just won the SB.

20 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Nah, not really. I'm just a bit of a skeptic by nature and also by training. As a retired engineer, I'm a professional skeptic.

Where you see daffodils and roses I'm looking at soil content, climate, average rainfall, etc. 

Trust me, trading for Rodgers is definitely not all roses.

I don’t particularly care for Rodgers the person.  There’s always 2 sides to every story, but there’s enough out there to know he’s a donkey.  

As a football player he’s a HOFer who seems capable of playing at that level for the next 3-5 years.  He will likely go down statistically in the top 3-5 of every QB category.  Even if Denver gave up 4 1st round picks, Jeudy, Chubb, and Surtain (it won’t cost that much) Denver would still be a top 5 favorite to win the SB with Rodgers at QB.  

My biggest concern is it’s not a long term solution.  I doubt Lock would stick around as he’s going into year 3 of a 4 year contract.  Denver likely wouldn’t have day 1 picks for 2-3 years and we saw how Rodgers reacts if selecting his heir apparent.  

With all of that, sign me up to trade for Rodgers I want to win more SBs and he gives us a really good chance. 

Posted (edited)

I think we will probably win a Super Bowl with Teddy at the helm.  

I will probably just wind up wearing gloves to just about anything if he does. 

Edited by jsthomp2007
26 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If Teddy doesn't win the job then Drews' made the jump.

Also, we've got a bit of a different perspective here, IE: how to compete in the division. Trying to outscore KC and the Chargers offensively is kind of a losing proposition. We won't find a Mahomes or Hebert.

Putting an excellent defense on the field and a methodical, physical, ball control offense stands a better chance IMO. That's also what just won the SB.

I don't disagree on the bolded, but semi-adequate play is needed.  Drew didn't provide that last year - 32nd ranked QB per PFF I believe, and maybe Teddy does, but I'm not optimistic either offers enough decent QB play that unless the D turns into the 2015 unit the playoffs let alone a Superbowl are highly unlikely.  

32 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I don’t particularly care for Rodgers the person.  There’s always 2 sides to every story, but there’s enough out there to know he’s a donkey.  

As a football player he’s a HOFer who seems capable of playing at that level for the next 3-5 years.  He will likely go down statistically in the top 3-5 of every QB category.  Even if Denver gave up 4 1st round picks, Jeudy, Chubb, and Surtain (it won’t cost that much) Denver would still be a top 5 favorite to win the SB with Rodgers at QB.  

My biggest concern is it’s not a long term solution.  I doubt Lock would stick around as he’s going into year 3 of a 4 year contract.  Denver likely wouldn’t have day 1 picks for 2-3 years and we saw how Rodgers reacts if selecting his heir apparent.  

With all of that, sign me up to trade for Rodgers I want to win more SBs and he gives us a really good chance. 

Keep in mind, Rodgers has only made one SB appearance. That was a defense driven team with the 2nd rated D that year.

He's never been back. You can associate Rodgers with playoff expectations, that's almost a sure thing. You can't make that argument for SB's.

12 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I don't disagree on the bolded, but semi-adequate play is needed.  Drew didn't provide that last year - 32nd ranked QB per PFF I believe, and maybe Teddy does, but I'm not optimistic either offers enough decent QB play that unless the D turns into the 2015 unit the playoffs let alone a Superbowl are highly unlikely.  

You don't have confidence in Teddy?  Teddy was a #1 draft pick from Louisville.  Do you know who else came out of Louisville? Johnny Unitas.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Nah, not really. I'm just a bit of a skeptic by nature and also by training. As a retired engineer, I'm a professional skeptic.

Where you see daffodils and roses I'm looking at soil content, climate, average rainfall, etc. 

Trust me, trading for Rodgers is definitely not all roses.

If we somehow end up with Rodgers, it’ll be interesting to see what Paton is willing to “give up” for him...he didn’t value Stafford very high.

32 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

If we somehow end up with Rodgers, it’ll be interesting to see what Paton is willing to “give up” for him...he didn’t value Stafford very high.

I think it'll be far less than what we're reading if at all.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

Stafford went for significantly more than value because the Rams wanted to dump Goff’s contract 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Keep in mind, Rodgers has only made one SB appearance. That was a defense driven team with the 2nd rated D that year.

He's never been back. You can associate Rodgers with playoff expectations, that's almost a sure thing. You can't make that argument for SB's.

Rodgers has been part of some crazy playoff losses. In a lot of ways that stuff is just luck. He’s a bobbled onside kick recovery away from another SB appearance. His HC inexplicably denied him the opportunity to win the NFC against Tampa last year. Two overtime losses to the Cardinals, one of those games he never gets the ball in OT, the other his defense gives up 45.

He’s an all time great and the best chance we have to make a run any time soon, you’re overthinking this.

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

You also have three playoff losses to the 49ers. The most recent one, the 49ers are running the ball for 10+ yards damn near every play. One was a walk-off FG loss, another heartbreaker. Another was Kaepernick running for almost 200 yards. Rodgers’ playoff resume is mostly a combination of bad luck in close games + his defense ****ting the bed.

This Fangio defense, even if you have to cut one piece off in a deal, assuming decent injury luck, is going to be too good to **** the bed. Of course, the heartbreaking close loss is always in play no matter how well built you are. But I’d sure rather take my chances there than stay in QB purgatory, hoping our bottom 5 starter or his below average game manager competition can collectively get us there. That’s asking for a miracle. And this team has the pieces NOW. Why waste what’s left of guys like Von Miller, Kyle Fuller and Kareem Jackson? 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, AKRNA said:

And this is the guy everybody wants to give up the farm for?

Sounds like a great guy and team mate, just the right addition for a :high character" locker room.

100% yes. Are we trying to run a charity or win championships? Every players on the team is going to love playing with Rodgers because he’s an elite QB. And for the record, his family sound like pretty awful people.

Edited by BroncoBruin
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, so far it's been Watson, Fields and now Rodgers. We're 0-2 right now, soon heading to 0-3. That's a lot of incorrect speculation.

I guess nobody believes Paton when he says he likes the QB room.

They did try to trade for Stafford, would have been in on Watson had he been made available before everything hit the fan and they are now in on Rodgers. They didn’t seem to like Fields, but we’ll never know the complete context of that because the Rodgers window opened that day. I guess you can call anything that doesn’t get done speculation but it’s not how I would frame it. In the case of Stafford, we know for a fact they offered a top 10 pick in a package for him, and he’s not what anyone would consider to be an elite quarterback.

There’s no reason to believe they like the QB situation. They’ve been looking for upgrades all offseason. They’re just being smart about it, only being willing to give up capital for guys who represent appreciable upgrades. Make no mistake about it, they have been looking and are looking for a better solution at quarterback. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

He’s an all time great and the best chance we have to make a run any time soon, you’re overthinking this.

I agree -

GB have had a fanchise QB on the team since 1992 with Farve and Rodgers - how many SBs have they won?

The record says more about how the team is run than the quality of the QBs available. If you prove incapable of putting a roster and coaching staff together that can get to no moe than 3 SBs with those two QBs over a 28 year period then you have to question the approach of the people running the team.

• Like 1

Bill Barnwell of ESPN who is supposed to be quite good at predicting trades according to the cast of NFL live feels it will be Carr, first and second in 2022 plus a 23 first with Rodgers and and a GB fourth in 2023 going to the raiders.  On the show they talked about a qb being returned to GB as a need for GB.  This is basically the trade I outlined a few days back on this thread. 

PS if I was GB and trade him I also despise him for forcing our hand.  And I think he does get traded if its not reconciled.  And since I have come to despise Rodgers (speaking as the GB FO here) I may even take a little less back in compensation so as to put him on a crap team like the Raiders because even with Rodgers they will not win a SB while he's there.  There are just way too many holes and with the loss of draft capital the Raiders won't be able to address those holes.    I would do this - trade him there out of SPITE!!!  Go to  hell AROD and go spin your wheels in Vegas.  lol.  He is a **** though isn't he?  And why the double standard - Wentz is ridiculed as a baby for crying about Hurts but few want to do the same to the diva Rodgers?  BUT don't get me wrong as a bronco I would welcome him :) 

• Like 1