What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I find it interesting everyone wants to go all in on Arod can't blame them at all but the same people who wanna go all in on that move say they have no hope for Lock that's what throws me off. 

Arod didn't play until what year 4? Sutton is coming back Jeudy and Hamler are year two now, Fant is healthy. Got my favorite rb in the last couple of drafts I'm expecting big things from Drew if they decide to stay the course but if we get Arod I legit think we're in the Superbowl convo I mean Rodgers even in green bay hasn't had this kind of talent on offense and a top 5 d potentially wow.

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I find it interesting everyone wants to go all in on Arod can't blame them at all but the same people who wanna go all in on that move say they have no hope for Lock that's what throws me off. 

Arod didn't play until what year 4? Sutton is coming back Jeudy and Hamler are year two now, Fant is healthy. Got my favorite rb in the last couple of drafts I'm expecting big things from Drew if they decide to stay the course but if we get Arod I legit think we're in the Superbowl convo I mean Rodgers even in green bay hasn't had this kind of talent on offense and a top 5 d potentially wow.

It's not about having no hope. It's believing the probability of Lock ever improving enough to be a franchise QB is low. He's just too far away in too many areas to believe there's some massive jump coming. The flash plays are fun but he isn't consistent at anything and mentally looks lost too often, even at times during the last stretch of the season. I fully believe Bridgewater beats him out in a camp battle because that setting favors QBs with timing, accuracy and command of the huddle. And to me Bridgewater starting is the worst scenario of all, a one year stop gap with obvious limitations who doesn't give you the ceiling of a contender. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

While it does appear to be a very remote possibility Lock makes the huge step, there are some factors in his favor. To begin with, he will be going into his second season with Shurmer as his OC, he won't be learning a NEW offense this year after a full season learning it. Next, he'll have competition who has familiarity of the system, that has experience and knows he'll be in direct competition for the starting job. Lastly, he has some developing chemistry that Bridgewater won't have yet, maybe giving him the leg up to win the starting job.  

That said, if a trade for AR happens, all bets are off.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It's not about having no hope. It's believing the probability of Lock ever improving enough to be a franchise QB is low. He's just too far away in too many areas to believe there's some massive jump coming. The flash plays are fun but he isn't consistent at anything and mentally looks lost too often, even at times during the last stretch of the season. I fully believe Bridgewater beats him out in a camp battle because that setting favors QBs with timing, accuracy and command of the huddle. And to me Bridgewater starting is the worst scenario of all, a one year stop gap with obvious limitations who doesn't give you the ceiling of a contender. 

See Lock is one of the best off play action in the NFL that's why he reminds me so much of Ryan tanehill from Tennessee a more wreckless version but probably a more lively arm. I just think the Javonte Williams pairing with Lock is gonna be huge and I see empty boxes with all the weapons we got it's also gonna be year two in the Shurmer system Lock has had a new oc every year since he so it's hard to be critical of him lacking the protect the football traits. I think Lock is gonna shock some people if we don't make any more moves at qb that is. 

Franchise qb is such an overused term I don't know if he'll be that heck as good as Lamar is Im not sure if he'll be one given his woes in the playoffs. 

People are overly critical of lock because herbert is a generational qb entering the division as a rookie Id bet anything Lynn's system was easier to learn than Shurmers I mean guy was a rb coach before becoming a HC if I'm not mistaken.

I look at two big things this off-season and it screams they're big on Drew one the fact that we wouldn't include Drew in a trade for Stafford that kinda raised my eyebrows they definitely view Drew as part of the future. The second point is passing up qb all together in the draft Fields, Jones and so fourth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's really not.  The "trade" offer you made includes what would be 4 starters PLUS a FRP.  I think the general consensus is that the Packers would need roughly 3 FRPs in order to move Rodgers.

Any GM that offered that would be pretty short term as far as career goes.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I look at two big things this off-season and it screams they're big on Drew one the fact that we wouldn't include Drew in a trade for Stafford that kinda raised my eyebrows they definitely view Drew as part of the future. The second point is passing up qb all together in the draft Fields, Jones and so fourth.

There’s no evidence that Drew Lock was the dealbreaker in the Stafford deal. It could have been Jeudy. It could have been not getting the 2nd back. It could have been the combination of all those things. You’re seeing what you want to see.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

See Lock is one of the best off play action in the NFL that's why he reminds me so much of Ryan tanehill from Tennessee a more wreckless version but probably a more lively arm. I just think the Javonte Williams pairing with Lock is gonna be huge and I see empty boxes with all the weapons we got it's also gonna be year two in the Shurmer system Lock has had a new oc every year since he so it's hard to be critical of him lacking the protect the football traits. I think Lock is gonna shock some people if we don't make any more moves at qb that is. 

Franchise qb is such an overused term I don't know if he'll be that heck as good as Lamar is Im not sure if he'll be one given his woes in the playoffs. 

People are overly critical of lock because herbert is a generational qb entering the division as a rookie Id bet anything Lynn's system was easier to learn than Shurmers I mean guy was a rb coach before becoming a HC if I'm not mistaken.

I’m curious where he’s rated as one of the best play action guys. This is an obvious thing, but play action makes every QB look better.

Herbert has nothing to do with my feelings about Lock. In a vacuum, Lock is a bottom tier starting quarterback. Herbert’s emergence makes the division a bigger challenge than anticipated for the next decade, but Lock’s failures are his own. He has some nice physical tools, but he still looks like the same “see it, throw it” passer who doesn’t have the anticipation and mental makeup to consistently move the ball in the pros. Lucky for us, Teddy is the flip side of that. Timing and accuracy on the easy stuff is great, high IQ, but brings nothing else to the table. They’re both limited players for entirely different reasons and both will hold back the offensive talent  around them.

But at least there’s a trajectory of some improvement with Lock (albeit it’s from being maybe the worst starter in football). Starting Teddy is a white flag. That’s the “we really had nothing else” move, so here’s some competent mediocrity. And I think Teddy is built to win a competition against a player like Drew so I kind of hate everything about this.

Edited by BroncoBruin

One play that really stands out with Drew Lock that I can't get out of my head is a play from Week 16, during this stretch where all the optimism for Lock comes from. He stares down Jeudy right from the snap. The corner is draped all over Jeudy from the start, absolutely zero separation and Jeudy's route isn't taking him to the sticks (believe this was a 3rd down). Lock never takes his eyes off him with the corner all over his guy and eventually throws an ugly pass that wasn't far enough away from the play to be a throwaway, was inaccurate enough to give Jeudy no chance at a clean catch but also could have been tipped in the air. It's one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen from a pro quarterback, there's absolutely no reason for Drew to throw that ball, as low a football IQ play as you can get.

This is a four year SEC starter who has played more than a season worth of games in the league at this point and he's still not even close to having a mental grasp on what he's seeing. And his competition this summer is a guy who brings zero physical upside to the position, but knows what the bare minimum good decision is on every play against every coverage. I don't think that favors Drew and Teddy being the QB isn't good for anyone. Please get Rodgers. 

5 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

There’s no evidence that Drew Lock was the dealbreaker in the Stafford deal. It could have been Jeudy. It could have been not getting the 2nd back. It could have been the combination of all those things. You’re seeing what you want to see.

Albright has mentioned multiple times the fact that Detroit wanted Lock in a counter offer was the deal breaker so I'm not spinning it how I wanna spin it.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Albright has mentioned multiple times the fact that Detroit wanted Lock in a counter offer was the deal breaker so I'm not spinning it how I wanna spin it.

The issue is Denver wanted a 2nd rounder back.   The value alone is the deal breaker.   Carolina offered 1.8 straight up.    And obv we know about the LAR offer. 

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The issue is Denver wanted a 2nd rounder back.   The value alone is the deal breaker.   Carolina offered 1.8 straight up.    And obv we know about the LAR offer. 

Oh I know that was an issue as well but apparently when Detroit made a counter offer with Lock involved that was a problem too. Well see a couple more months till TC.

I wouldn't be shocked to land Rodgers while still grooming Lock for post Rodgers. Apparently NFL took the Mahomes vs Rodgers to open the season off the table and is replacing it with ravens chiefs. So I don't think it's a matter of it Rodgers is traded but when and where.

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Personally, I'd much rather trade the three 1st round picks than two 1st round picks and a core young player. Trading for Rodgers means gong all in for the next year or two. I want the roster as loaded as possible now. 

I agree with this.  If we have to trade a player then I say trade a player on the offensive side.  Keep our D intact.