What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Their leverage is waiting things out with Rodgers. They can drag this out into late July if they want. June 2nd opens a window to a trade being doable but they don’t need to be in a rush. Rodgers can roll into camp in August and they’d be fine. And if he doesn’t, well they’re pretty screwed anyway. There would be more urgency on the Broncos’ side. 

In the end, Rodgers will dictate how this situation plays out. If he holds firm, I think they would eventually trade him.

Any chance possible trade partners pull back if this drags out?

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think the general consensus is that the Packers would need roughly 3 FRPs in order to move Rodgers.

Haven't seen that - I have seen 2 FRPs being talked about for Rodgers with a filler added.

Most independent commentators take his age and his very substantial contract into account. He is the fourth highest paid QB in the NFL (and only because Mahomes, Prescott and Watson recently got mega deals). Brady is earning $10m less than Rodgers and Rothlisberger is on more than $20m less. Furthermore, Rodgers could retire at any time - no team will give up 3 FRPs with the possibility that Rodgers could be gone after one or two years.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Most independent commentators take his age and his very substantial contract into account. He is the fourth highest paid QB in the NFL (and only because Mahomes, Prescott and Watson recently got mega deals). Brady is earning $10m less than Rodgers and Rothlisberger is on more than $20m less. Furthermore, Rodgers could retire at any time - no team will give up 3 FRPs with the possibility that Rodgers could be gone after one or two years.

And ironically speaking, he's on the books for whichever team trades for him with cap hits of $22M in 2021, $25.5M in 2022, and $25.5M in 2023.  In terms of cap hits, than an AAV of $24.3M which would rank 16th in the NFL.  You're getting a top 5 QB at a middle-of-the-pack rate.  That's a bargain.  So the notion that Rodgers is expensive is a farce given the fact that the Broncos (or another team) would only be on the hook for the base salary, roster bonus (even though it's already been paid out), and the workout bonus.  I can't find anything firm, but the roster bonus might actually stay with Green Bay, and if that's the case then Rodgers' cap hit drops to $15.2M.  Again, a bargain price.

And Rodgers isn't going to retire anytime soon.  He's already stated multiple times that he wants to play into his 40s.

19 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, that's a Packer view, I can see 2 FRP's and a player (probably not named Surtain or Jeudy, my opinion) getting it done, and that feels fair to me, guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, here.

And for the record, that "trade offer" was made by a Packer fan, not me.

That was poorly worded on my behalf.  I apologize.  The point I was trying to make was that I think the consensus would think that is/was an unrealistic offer.  That's what you open up with, and work your way backwards.

19 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Arod didn't play until what year 4? Sutton is coming back Jeudy and Hamler are year two now, Fant is healthy. Got my favorite rb in the last couple of drafts I'm expecting big things from Drew if they decide to stay the course but if we get Arod I legit think we're in the Superbowl convo I mean Rodgers even in green bay hasn't had this kind of talent on offense and a top 5 d potentially wow.

Because unless you truly believe that Drew Lock is going to have some sort of Josh Allen-esque Year 3 jump, he's going to go into the Hall of Nothings that have come out of Day 2 QBs.  Other then the Carolina game, he was miserable last year.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That was poorly worded on my behalf.  I apologize.  The point I was trying to make was that I think the consensus would think that is/was an unrealistic offer.  That's what you open up with, and work your way backwards.

Working in real estate, I also know when you put out an unrealistic offer, you risk the chance of pissing off your opposition and spite your own face. You may not get another shot at a counteroffer if you come in overpriced. Coming into another teams forum like it's your own is very similar, that's why it's best to be humble, listen and be polite, I'm sure you'd agree to that. 

3 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Working in real estate, I also know when you put out an unrealistic offer, you risk the chance of pissing off your opposition and spite your own face. You may not get another shot at a counteroffer if you come in overpriced. Coming into another teams forum like it's your own is very similar, that's why it's best to be humble, listen and be polite, I'm sure you'd agree to that. 

Ironically, that goes both ways.  If you're only willing to give up what you feel is extra, you're not going to get any bites.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ironically, that goes both ways.  If you're only willing to give up what you feel is extra, you're not going to get any bites.

That's what GM's are for, not overzealous fans like that Packer fan' whose offer I relayed. 

19 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

That's what GM's are for, not overzealous fans like that Packer fan' whose offer I relayed. 

Which is why we BOTH agreed that the offer was at best unrealistic.   Except I'm not the one using an unrealistic trade offer and painting the picture the trade package is what's expected in an Aaron Rodgers deal.  It'd be like me arguing that Broncos' fans are only willing to do the deal proposed a few pages back where the Packers receive a FRP if the Broncos go to the Super Bowl, but nothing if they don't.

Let's see if I can articulate my point a little better for you (and the rest of the subforum).  I'd argue that going into this offseason, there were 3 QBs who were inherently more valuable than Aaron Rodgers including Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, and Trevor Lawrence.  If you want to include Josh Allen into that group, I wouldn't fight you too hard.  Rodgers is in a similar tier to a number of other players I'd argue like Zach Wilson, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, and Justin Herbert.  The problem is the opportunity cost.  Lamar Jackson isn't available.  Justin Herbert isn't available.  Russell Wilson reportedly isn't available.  Who is the best QB available?  Right now, the QB free agent class consists of Jeff Driskel, Matt Barkley, and Blake Bortles.  That's quite the list of world beaters.  Which leads into my next point...

Right now, Denver is poised to go into the 2021 season with either Drew Lock (who played as a bottom 6 QB this past season) and Teddy Bridgewater (whom Carolina dealt to make Sam Darnold their starting QB).  Realistically speaking, how far do you think Bridgewater (or Lock) can take the Broncos?  Since 2002, the "worst" starting QB to win the Super Bowl was Nick Foles who played at an absolutely unsustainable level in the playoffs.  Other then that, you're looking at Tom Brady (6), Ben Roethilsburger (2), Peyton Manning (2), Eli Manning (2), Drew Brees (1), Aaron Rodgers (1), Joe Flacco (1), Russell Wilson (1), and Patrick Mahomes (1).  So we're talking about a "low-end" starting QB being at the level of Joe Flacco or Eli Manning to realistically expect to win a Super Bowl.  Do you believe that Teddy Bridgewater (or Drew Lock) can play at that level?

If Denver's defense is poised to be as good as Broncos' fans think it'll be (something I agree with), they're not going to be in range to draft a QB.  And given the lack of future draft capital, the Broncos probably have to hand over a RG3/Trey Lance-level package in order to move up for a QB in the hopes that they're good enough to win a Super Bowl before the inevitable salary cap issues start to come together.  If you want to bet on Bridgewater/Lock to take you to the Super Bowl, all the power to you.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

And ironically speaking, he's on the books for whichever team trades for him with cap hits of $22M in 2021, $25.5M in 2022, and $25.5M in 2023.  In terms of cap hits, than an AAV of $24.3M which would rank 16th in the NFL.  You're getting a top 5 QB at a middle-of-the-pack rate.  That's a bargain.  So the notion that Rodgers is expensive is a farce given the fact that the Broncos (or another team) would only be on the hook for the base salary, roster bonus (even though it's already been paid out), and the workout bonus.  I can't find anything firm, but the roster bonus might actually stay with Green Bay, and if that's the case then Rodgers' cap hit drops to $15.2M.  Again, a bargain price.

And Rodgers isn't going to retire anytime soon.  He's already stated multiple times that he wants to play into his 40s.

And the Broncos are one of the few (quite possibly only) teams that can afford to take on that salary and more importantly, extend him. It’s a bargain for us. 

Look bro, I get it, you’re all-time great is pissedoff and it kills you as a fan. I get the pain. I’m a life-long Rockies fan and I heard every deal in the world offered for Nolan. We got far less. Now, NFL and MLB are a lot different but if Aaron wants out, he’ll find a way. And you’ll have to get what you can get for him. It won’t be worse than the Nolan deal, I can assure you that. And I’m saying this as a friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Because unless you truly believe that Drew Lock is going to have some sort of Josh Allen-esque Year 3 jump, he's going to go into the Hall of Nothings that have come out of Day 2 QBs.  Other then the Carolina game, he was miserable last year.

Eh I thought he looked good in the Miami game besides the first driver, the second raiders game , the second half of the first Chargers game. I don't agree with you Shurmers offense isn't the easiest to learn for a young qb, losing Sutton hurt big time. Round one QBs Haven't been much better none on there team from 2009-2016. And Trubisky left the bears , and Watson's career looks in doubt. I think the day two narrative is just off.

I don’t think you need to make the hard sell for 95% of us. We know the stakes. Rodgers gives us a shot at more Super Bowls. Without him, we may not have a chance at one for a long time. 

People are overvaluing the first round picks. For me the key is getting it done while retaining all of our current core of young players. To get Rodgers while not creating anymore 2021 holes. A few of our older defensive players probably won’t be back in 2022 so this is likely our best chance to field a special defense.

Edited by BroncoBruin

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Which is why we BOTH agreed that the offer was at best unrealistic.   Except I'm not the one using an unrealistic trade offer and painting the picture the trade package is what's expected in an Aaron Rodgers deal.  It'd be like me arguing that Broncos' fans are only willing to do the deal proposed a few pages back where the Packers receive a FRP if the Broncos go to the Super Bowl, but nothing if they don't.

Let's see if I can articulate my point a little better for you (and the rest of the subforum).  I'd argue that going into this offseason, there were 3 QBs who were inherently more valuable than Aaron Rodgers including Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, and Trevor Lawrence.  If you want to include Josh Allen into that group, I wouldn't fight you too hard.  Rodgers is in a similar tier to a number of other players I'd argue like Zach Wilson, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson, and Justin Herbert.  The problem is the opportunity cost.  Lamar Jackson isn't available.  Justin Herbert isn't available.  Russell Wilson reportedly isn't available.  Who is the best QB available?  Right now, the QB free agent class consists of Jeff Driskel, Matt Barkley, and Blake Bortles.  That's quite the list of world beaters.  Which leads into my next point...

Right now, Denver is poised to go into the 2021 season with either Drew Lock (who played as a bottom 6 QB this past season) and Teddy Bridgewater (whom Carolina dealt to make Sam Darnold their starting QB).  Realistically speaking, how far do you think Bridgewater (or Lock) can take the Broncos?  Since 2002, the "worst" starting QB to win the Super Bowl was Nick Foles who played at an absolutely unsustainable level in the playoffs.  Other then that, you're looking at Tom Brady (6), Ben Roethilsburger (2), Peyton Manning (2), Eli Manning (2), Drew Brees (1), Aaron Rodgers (1), Joe Flacco (1), Russell Wilson (1), and Patrick Mahomes (1).  So we're talking about a "low-end" starting QB being at the level of Joe Flacco or Eli Manning to realistically expect to win a Super Bowl.  Do you believe that Teddy Bridgewater (or Drew Lock) can play at that level?

If Denver's defense is poised to be as good as Broncos' fans think it'll be (something I agree with), they're not going to be in range to draft a QB.  And given the lack of future draft capital, the Broncos probably have to hand over a RG3/Trey Lance-level package in order to move up for a QB in the hopes that they're good enough to win a Super Bowl before the inevitable salary cap issues start to come together.  If you want to bet on Bridgewater/Lock to take you to the Super Bowl, all the power to you.

Captn Doom n Gloom there, still think you need a career change. 

Ok, let's look at the GB side. Your team is coming off a failed NFC Championship game with a pissed off QB. Realistically Rodgers has stated he is not going to play for your team, he's dug in his heels there. The likelihood of the Packers getting back to that level with Love are miniscule right now as you really have no idea what Love can/will do in a regular season game(at least that's what I have heard, and am inclined to believe.). Rodgers has threatened to retire if not traded, word is he already turned down a huge contract offer fron GB, seems like money is not an issue. He appears to have options, such as Jeopardy, to fall back on, may not be as lucrative as the NFL but he seems vindictive enough to spit in the Packers face at this point. Also, if he's forced out, what type of message does that send to other NFL Free Agents ???  He reportedly is spouting out to other FA's already, not great for public perception, now is it. 

So you're betting on Love to be the new face of the franchise, do you know any more about him than we do about Lock ??. Not gonna say I know enough about him to call him the new franchise QB, but he does seem good enough to get you to a Wild Card, or at least close. Even so, not good enough to win a SB. Seems with all the talent you've had at QB, Rodgers is noticing what continued failures the FO/coaching staff has deluded him when promising to deliver SB opportunities. It's not really like there has been a New England type juggernaut in the NFC, but how many SB rings does he have ? For that matter , how many appearances does he have ? ONE. At least Denver can present him with a full arsenal on the offensive side of the ball, as well as a potential top 5 defense, I'm sure he sees that as a new strong opportunity.

The grass really does look greener (no pun there) on the other side of the fense, at least to AR15 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t think you need to make the hard sell for 95% of us. We know the stakes. Rodgers gives us a shot at more Super Bowls. Without him, we may not have a chance at one for a long time. 

People are overvaluing the first round picks. For me the key is getting it done while retaining all of our current core of young players. To get Rodgers while not creating anymore 2021 holes. A few of our older defensive players probably won’t be back in 2022 so this is likely our best chance to field a special defense.

I agree with this