What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

You're missing the point. He obviously doesn't isn't as concerned as you.

Or he is willing to see out this next year with Fangio, giving him a ton of defensive weapons to prove he can stop Mahomes + be competitive in the divison. If the Broncos are under .500 and Lock looks bad, he's not getting another year. I would be floored if he does.

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Or he is willing to see out this next year with Fangio, giving him a ton of defensive weapons to prove he can stop Mahomes + be competitive in the divison. If the Broncos are under .500 and Lock looks bad, he's not getting another year. I would be floored if he does.

Looks to me like he's made significant upgrades across the roster, offense and defense. Time to see how it works out. 

If Paton isn’t concerned by the QB position then he probably won’t succeed here. A remotely good QB gets the Broncos to the playoffs in 2016 and possibly 2019. It shouldn’t be that hard to deduce why this team hasn’t gotten back to the playoffs.

Paying a QB $35M might not mean winning SB’s long term, but paying 10 QBs to be below average is just as costly to a team. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

You got a good tip. I tuned in to BCT to confirm this and sure enough, Allbright and Edwards emphasized several times that people need to temper their expectations for Rodgers and should mentally prepare themselves for a Lock/Bridgewater battle, very clearly walking things back some. 

Exactly. And KOA is another of the “team friendly” outlets I was told about. My beat reporter friend still thinks the odds are pretty high he ends up here, FWIW. 

56 minutes ago, broncosfan07 said:

If Paton isn’t concerned by the QB position then he probably won’t succeed here. A remotely good QB gets the Broncos to the playoffs in 2016 and possibly 2019. It shouldn’t be that hard to deduce why this team hasn’t gotten back to the playoffs.

Paying a QB $35M might not mean winning SB’s long term, but paying 10 QBs to be below average is just as costly to a team. 

Actually, I'm pretty sure no team has ever won a championship paying their QB over 12% (maybe 13) of the salary cap. Until they do consider me a skeptic. 

Why do you think he isn't concerned about QB? He traded for one that's a solid journeyman. 

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure no team has ever won a championship paying their QB over 12% (maybe 13) of the salary cap. Until they do consider me a skeptic. 

Why do you think he isn't concerned about QB? He traded for one that's a solid journeyman. 

I hope Paton would structure a deal with AR similar to PM, where he gets a base salary (say $15M guaranteed), then big incentives for winning the big games.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Agreed, its going to be crazy to see the turnover next year if the Broncos are bad again.

Fangio gone, Shurmer gone, Lock gone, Von gone and the list goes on. It will probably be a mass overhaul which at that point would be welcoming.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Idk why I can't remove Arknas box but Bridgewaters comment today rubbed me wrong he talked about competition saying you learn alot a make bonds with your competitor through competing. I just wanted a focus on the offense when I'm running it type attitude or something.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I think you're right. By all his actions Paton seems to be doing his best to provide what Fangio and company think they need to thrive. He's provided some great tools for the staff to work with. If they and Paton think they can build a successful team without going overboard on QB, let 'em try and more power to 'em.

Our last SB we won with the worst statistical QB in the league, albeit a great leader. I don't see a problem trying to replicate that formula.

If they fail, they'll be looking for work next year, we'll have a roster stacked with young talent, no huge financial commitments to individuals and a great destination for a new HC.

30 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agreed, its going to be crazy to see the turnover next year if the Broncos are bad again.

Fangio gone, Shurmer gone, Lock gone, Von gone and the list goes on. It will probably be a mass overhaul which at that point would be welcoming.

It would be exciting and disappointing at the same time for me. At this point, how many times have we seen the Broncos try different directions? It's frustrating to just see that start all over again. The intriguing bit for me will be the ownership situation and what that looks like. If we get an enthusiastic guy or girl who is devoted to a particular vision, I can easily get excited for that. If it's someone like the ownership of the Rockies, no thanks. I think Paton has done a masterful job at making himself look like a great piece to do whatever the new owner has in mind.

48 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

He traded for someone that’s at best a backup, only 1 time in the last 20 years has a backup won a SB and it’s pretty obvious now that the reason why that SB was won is a HC in Indy now. 

I’m sorry but the days of getting by with simply average QB play are gone just like a 400 carry RB. Defenses may win championships but you don’t win championships if you don’t make the playoffs it is that simple. Bridgewater and Lock are nothing more than average, decent enough to keep you from being the Jags but bad enough to keep you from being a perennial playoff team. And I for one am sick of mediocre QB play, I am sick of these Osweiler, Lynch, Lock type QBs being drafted, I am sick of journeymen, over the hill QBs like Keenum, Flacco and Bridgewater being trotted out there as if I’m supposed to have any confidence in them. 

Paton should very well be concerned by the QB position because it has been pathetic and that is how he will be judged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He was concerned enough to offer a top 10 pick for Stafford, a good but not great QB.

Sure, but that didn't happen so he moved on. Plan B was Bridgewater. I don't think he was ever too interested in drafting a day 1 QB. Could've been a good long term option but Fangio, Shurmer, et al. are kind of in a "now or never" mode. 

They don't really have the time to develop another rookie.

Just now, Dbrog24 said:

It would be exciting and disappointing at the same time for me. At this point, how many times have we seen the Broncos try different directions? It's frustrating to just see that start all over again. The intriguing bit for me will be the ownership situation and what that looks like. If we get an enthusiastic guy or girl who is devoted to a particular vision, I can easily get excited for that. If it's someone like the ownership of the Rockies, no thanks. I think Paton has done a masterful job at making himself look like a great piece to do whatever the new owner has in mind.

The problem with the Broncos is that they keep rotating the HC and QBs but they just keep replacing with the same failed things.

They have tried bridge QBs like Keenum, Flacco, Bridgewater. They have tried 2nd tier prospects like Osweiler, Lock and Lynch. They have tried unspectacular coaching hires like Fangio, Fox, Shurmer and Jospeh.

They have yet to really go out and make a "all or nothing" type move to address either problems. They just keep rotating the QB/coaching decisions with the same stale crap that doesnt work and keep having to fall back on defense.