What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

So with PS2 signing his contract, does that completely take out the possibility of him being included in any trade for the foreseeable future? 

I think it's only like a 30 day window where they can't sign.  I might be wrong.

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

So with PS2 signing his contract, does that completely take out the possibility of him being included in any trade for the foreseeable future? 

Why would we be thinking about trading him? 

37 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Why would we be thinking about trading him? 

On pft it seems to be the thought that he'll be involved with the package for Rodgers I hope not love that guy .

Butt. Callahan, Fuller, Darby, Ojemude, and that late round corner is one of the best nickel corner guys coming out, plus the two safeties one has ballhawking corner skills can't rule it out.

But I still think PS2 is safe I mean why would Paton disguise interest in him  for so long having a no contact rule. This happened before the Rodgers stuff.

People will not complain about the Surtain pick if our secondary becomes no fly zone part 2. I personally think we have the best secondary in the NFL but they gotta prove it and the dline has so gel, stay healthy, and the depth has to prove to be there along the dline for the defense to click.

3 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Question for those against getting Rodgers:

I understand the qualms, and full disclosure I don’t think Lock is the answer.  Or Teddy for that matter either. But assuming the talent on the roster helps elevate whichever’s game what is the best case scenario for either of them in your opinion?   Top 16 starter?  Top 10?   What’s a success that you’d be pleased with

If Lock starts and doesn't lose us games I'm sold on him I don't buy that top 15 bs too 8 whatever. If the chargers second half game becomes the norm or more norm or the flashes he showed in the chiefs games become more consistent I'm sold.  I do believe in him fwiw.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

On pft it seems to be the thought that he'll be involved with the package for Rodgers I hope not love that guy .

Butt. Callahan, Fuller, Darby, Ojemude, and that late round corner is one of the best nickel corner guys coming out, plus the two safeties one has ballhawking corner skills can't rule it out.

Personally I think Fangios head would explode if Paton did that.

Sounds like more media "wild ***" speculation to me. Oh well, slow time of year. Invent a story if there isn't one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I think Fangios head would explode if Paton did that.

Sounds like more media "wild ***" speculation to me. Oh well, slow time of year. Invent a story if there isn't one.

I agree I think the secondary has a chance to be another no fly zone I love Surtain And I think he's top 3 safest pick of the first round he gonna be penciled in at the top of the cb depth chart for yearrrsss.

I laughed at our reaction to the pick. Imagine being Detroit fans selecting that corner last year over Herbert. I'd take Surtain over that CB and I'd take Herbert over fields so it looks like a poor move for Detroit. The Surtain pick didn't feel like that Detroit pick last year it didn't seem like a win now move bc our coaches are in limbo and gm.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

If Lock starts and doesn't lose us games I'm sold on him I don't buy that top 15 bs too 8 whatever. If the chargers second half game becomes the norm or more norm or the flashes he showed in the chiefs games become more consistent I'm sold.  I do believe in him fwiw.

Alright so if Lock starts having success is it enough to take you to a Super Bowl?   I don’t think so, and if he is even halfway decent he’s going to get a good contract after 2022 probably around that $25mil a year at minimum same goes for Teddy but he’s up next year

If one of them is the starting QB in 2022 that means it’s under a larger contract than what they have now.  Which prevents signing and retaining complementary pieces. 

That’s the purgatory we refer to, we stick with average to above average and eventually you have to pay them, and QBs are chronically overpaid.  That’s what worries me, I don’t think either are good enough to win in January, and that issue gets compounded when you start having to pay them more.

Now I would’ve loved Fields, but he’s not here, so unless Rodgers comes here the team will be still looking for a QB in 2021 and probably drafting after 10, that’s an issue for me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Alright so if Lock starts having success is it enough to take you to a Super Bowl?   I don’t think so, and if he is even halfway decent he’s going to get a good contract after 2022 probably around that $25mil a year at minimum same goes for Teddy but he’s up next year

If one of them is the starting QB in 2022 that means it’s under a larger contract than what they have now.  Which prevents signing and retaining complementary pieces. 

That’s the purgatory we refer to, we stick with average to above average and eventually you have to pay them, and QBs are chronically overpaid.  That’s what worries me, I don’t think either are good enough to win in January, and that issue gets compounded when you start having to pay them more.

Now I would’ve loved Fields, but he’s not here, so unless Rodgers comes here the team will be still looking for a QB in 2021 and probably drafting after 10, that’s an issue for me

I love how the book is already written on what Lock can and can't do long term. I mean he has all the arm talent in the world and has the same system for the first time in 5 6 years, players are racing about his development I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

People will not complain about the Surtain pick if our secondary becomes no fly zone part 2. I personally think we have the best secondary in the NFL but they gotta prove it and the dline has so gel, stay healthy, and the depth has to prove to be there along the dline for the defense to click.

I will if Fields turns out to be a franchise QB. 

Good and all that PS2 might be - he isn't a QB and that is what we need more than anything else.

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I love how the book is already written on what Lock can and can't do long term. I mean he has all the arm talent in the world and has the same system for the first time in 5 6 years, players are racing about his development I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think everyone would be pumped if Lock makes a Josh Allen type leap.

The problem is that on the evidence so far he hasn't even corrected some basic flaws after two years in the NFL, never mind showing he is capable of such a development.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Do you really expect players to come out and say yeah Drew hasn’t gotten any better?

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I think everyone would be pumped if Lock makes a Josh Allen type leap.

The problem is that on the evidence so far he hasn't even corrected some basic flaws after two years in the NFL, never mind showing he is capable of such a development.

There were factors adding too that I'm a firm believer in giving a guy 3 years if it doesn't happen this year I have no problem ripping the band aid off. I don't think it needs to be Josh Allen type leap Allen was a top ,5 qb last year debating he's top 3 you can make a case for that.

• Like 1