What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I'd pick up Jamie Newman instead of keeping Brett I know he's got it mentally but I don't think he has enough tools Newman has a lot of upside.

No chance. The physical side of the QB position is drastically overvalued IMO. The mental aspects and leadership skills are equally undervalued.

The two QB's considered the best at that position, Montana and Brady never had great physical tools. One was drafted at the end of the 3rd rd, the other in the sixth. What they both possessed though were off the charts leadership ability and mental processing speed. That's why they were/are great.

If physical skills were more valuable you'd see Michael Vick, Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell at the top of the list.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

No chance. The physical side of the QB position is drastically overvalued IMO. The mental aspects and leadership skills are equally undervalued.

The two QB's considered the best at that position, Montana and Brady never had great physical tools. One was drafted at the end of the 3rd rd, the other in the sixth. What they both possessed though were off the charts leadership ability and mental processing speed. That's why they were/are great.

If physical skills were more valuable you'd see Michael Vick, Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell at the top of the list.

I generally agree with you if all things are equal but they aren't this is the third qb spot I just don't know what type of skillet Brett brings that Teddy doesn't already possess having a prior stint in this system. 

Newman if his game can be cultivated has way more upside.

Edited by thebestever6

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I generally agree with you if all things are equal but they aren't this is the third qb spot I just don't know what type of skillet Brett brings that Teddy doesn't already possess having a prior stint in this system. 

From the NFL Network

Weaknesses

Erratic ball placement inside the hashes.

Pre-release ball pat keys linemen to get hands into passing lanes.

Tardiness through progressions hurts his timing with targets.

Too content sticking with primary target despite coverage.

Needs to improve release mechanics to improve accuracy.

Will need work in developing anticipatory throws.

Inconsistent feel and reaction to pocket pressure.

Too often an easy pocket target for rushers to find.

Field vision and decision-making are below NFL standards.

Sounds like quite a project to me. We already know Brett can win a game, knows the playbook and can run the offense if Teddy or Drew go down (almost a given looking at their history) He's a mighty cheap insurance policy for a team with winning aspirations.

Kareem Jackson still trying to recruit for Deshaun Watson, say's DW WANTS to come to Denver. Love the talent, only has a $10.5M salary this year, but would the community be willing to accept him even if his lawsuits are settled ?? 

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Kareem Jackson still trying to recruit for Deshaun Watson, say's DW WANTS to come to Denver. Love the talent, only has a $10.5M salary this year, but would the community be willing to accept him even if his lawsuits are settled ?? 

Looking at the way this team is being constructed I don't see any chance Denver would be willing to take on a QB that starts making $40 million a season next year. I doubt it's under consideration for that reason alone.

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Jackson can take a hike - he'll be gone next year anyway and he can take Watson with him.

• Like 1

I think it is pretty clear so far that Teddy is miles ahead of Lock in the QB stakes. Bridgewater has picked up the offence quickly and Lock still can't get beyond his first read and seems to panic when it is not available.

And it is already being suggested that Jeudy will be elite with Bridgewater throwing the ball because he is so much better at the timing of the passes which plays directly into Jeudy's strengths.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

The only development that is going in favor for the physical tools meets mental tools is Mahomes.  Now everyone if trying to find that guy, accept the Broncos.  However, who is to say that Rypien doesn't morph into this mental giant who takes over the league like Brady or Montana?  Maybe his path is different?  It'd make for a cool story.  I mean in that Jets game he played really well.  Yes, there was about five minutes of football you'd like to take back, but it seemed like he commanded the huddle and the players reacted to that.  I am pro Rypien with the long-short/underdog story that allows us to have an unexpected HOFer for the next 20 years when he wins his final SB and I die...it would be a cool way to end things...that or a Playboy bunny riding me until I have a heart attach..I'd probably take the latter, but both would be cool exits from this planet. 

24 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am pro Rypien with the long-short/underdog story that allows us to have an unexpected HOFer for the next 20 years when he wins his final SB and I die...it would be a cool way to end things...that or a Playboy bunny riding me until I have a heart attach..I'd probably take the latter, but both would be cool exits from this planet. 

Everyone in this room is now dumber from having read this I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.