What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I just hope we make a call on who is #1 as soon as practically possible. Has it ever, in the history of the modern NFL, worked when you take your QB decision all the way to the 3rd preseason game?

Absolutely!  We really need to avoid a QB shuffle. Pick your guy and stick with him.

From what I’ve gathered it sounds like Teddy was easily the front runner in mini camp.  This isn’t surprising for me.  Lock’s a gunslinger who doesn’t process the game very well.  Bridgewater lacks talent, but takes care of the football.

I like Teddy, but if he’s your starting QB it means you need a QB.  I know it’s getting closer and closer to the start of the season, but I can’t help but think Denver is still in the market for a QB.  If they aren’t then Paton and the franchise had no real vision in being competitive in 2021.

Edited by germ-x

On 6/14/2021 at 1:08 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Be ready to be astounded then. 

Everything I've been hearing seems like Aaron is just waiting for the Green Bay FO to blink. They will also wait it out, probably into training camp, so they can say to their fans (and shareholders) "hey, we did everything we could to keep him." Even some of the beat writers in Wisconsin think it's just a matter of time. 

What about this?

https://denverfan.com/2094174/a-subtle-sign-that-aaron-rodgers-is-returning-to-green-bay/

16 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

People with his amount of money have memberships at golf clubs in numerous cities across the country.  Green Bay Country Club is also relatively cheap compared to others and I read annual dues are $7k and initiation fee is $4,500.  For a comparison The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs has an initiation fee over $50k.

Basically, I don’t view this as a sign he might return.  He’s probably been a member there for many years and will continue to be.

22 minutes ago, germ-x said:

People with his amount of money have memberships at golf clubs in numerous cities across the country.  Green Bay Country Club is also relatively cheap compared to others and I read annual dues are $7k and initiation fee is $4,500.  For a comparison The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs has an initiation fee over $50k.

Basically, I don’t view this as a sign he might return.  He’s probably been a member there for many years and will continue to be.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I bet that QB's have golf memberships all over the country.

On 6/21/2021 at 7:37 AM, jolly red giant said:

Doesn't he have a mansion in California? - probably has a golf membership there as well

He probably does.

He was in my hometown last summer to play TPC Colorado, some of the bag drop boys are high school kids that I know from my part time work at the local newspaper and they said he played two rounds last July, tipped them $50/each and said he would be back. Someone else I know saw him at a luxury hotel nearby during the same time. 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:41 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

On 6/21/2021 at 9:00 AM, germ-x said:

There's also a grandfather clause for a lot of the clubs, that once you opt out, you lose the initiation fee.  So unless you know that GB is trading you, the smart play is to re-up....even if you're only golfing for the summer (while a holdout occurs).    We also don't know what initiation fee A-Rod paid 10 years ago, when he came to GB.  It's 4.5K now, but in golf's heyday at peak Tiger Woods popularity, could have been a lot more.

All of which to say - the golf membership piece is smoke.   The $ involved and background issues makes it a non-factor.  If A-Rod were to put up his GB house for sale, though....

What are you Denver fans willing to give up to get Rodgers? You have to know Gutekunst has to bring in a load of players/picks or it would cost him his job. The Stafford trade is a starting point, but Rodgers is worth more, so what is your offer? 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

What are you Denver fans willing to give up to get Rodgers? You have to know Gutekunst has to bring in a load of players/picks or it would cost him his job. The Stafford trade is a starting point, but Rodgers is worth more, so what is your offer? 

well, you seem to be under the impression we care about Gutekunst job. Getting him fired would make AR12 even more happy with us . And with his ire at GB, that really lowers his value IMO, but I am a Bronco fan. 

Honestly, I'd only look at 2 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd WR Tim Patrick and perhaps a CB (not named Surtain).

53 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

well, you seem to be under the impression we care about Gutekunst job. Getting him fired would make AR12 even more happy with us . And with his ire at GB, that really lowers his value IMO, but I am a Bronco fan. 

Honestly, I'd only look at 2 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd WR Tim Patrick and perhaps a CB (not named Surtain).

It's a starting point, but I'd think we'd want at least one stud player on roster currently. Not sure name or position, but it would have to be better than Patrick and a reject CB. We aren't in bad shape at either of those positions to be honest. 

While I get you don't care about Gutekunst's job, he's the one making the trade. He's not going to do it unless he can justify if to his bosses and the fan base that it was in the Packers best interest. 

Edited by Old Guy

57 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's a starting point, but I'd think we'd want at least one stud player on roster currently. Not sure name or position, but it would have to be better than Patrick and a reject CB. We aren't in bad shape at either of those positions to be honest. 

While I get you don't care about Gutekunst's job, he's the one making the trade. He's not going to do it unless he can justify if to his bosses and the fan base that it was in the Packers best interest. 

I'd put Fant in the mix.  I think Albert O for us is going to be better.  

4 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I'd put Fant in the mix.  I think Albert O for us is going to be better.  

I don't see Fant being a stud either. I was thinking scrap the original two players he had. The picks are close with 2 -1st, 1 - 2nd and 1 - 3rd. We'd also want KJ Hamler and Bradley Chubb and we'd send Preston Smith to you with Rodgers. 

I think that is where GB would need to get in order to part with Rodgers. 

Edited by Old Guy

6 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I don't see Fant being a stud either. I was thinking scrap the original two players he had. The picks are close with 2 -1st, 1 - 2nd and 1 - 3rd. We'd also want KJ Hamler and Bradley Chubb and we'd send Preston Smith to you with Rodgers. 

I think that is where GB would need to get in order to part with Rodgers. 

Considering Rodgers agent has put an ultimatum to the Packers, either trade me by the 2nd or I'm sitting out and you'll pay me $6.8M, really doesn't seem like you have a lot of say of who you'll get offered. Rodgers sits out another year, his value declines just like the offer.  How's that Stones song go "....you can't always get what you want" 

Edited by Cutler06